Dog question.

I live in Shelby County in a rural area. I often run and bike in the area. Lately I have been getting chased by more and more dogs. Tuesday I was on my bike and a large dog came at me I had to almost stop to keep from hitting him. When I did he grabbed my hand, nothing bad but it sure was a shock. The next day I had three dogs (pit mix) come at me while I was running. They had collars but I didn't recognize them. I now have mace but I wonder when it would be "legal" for me to shoot one, do they have to maul me. I don't mean to imply I am going to go dog hunting I am just starting to get "concerned" for my and my wifes safety.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 1817ak47

there was a similiar thing that happened where I used to live an the dog ran after alot of people, runners, bikers etc, even threaten me when I got my mail. I got the issue resolved w/o firearms, though your issue was much different. but I had to do what I did, not just for my safety but for the other strangers around.

Step 1. Report them... location, description, time of day, etc...

Step 2. Get a super soaker and load it with ammonia and water or get a big can of pepper/bear spray. An air horn works too...

Step 3. Blast 'em.

I used to bicycle a lot and have had my share of annoying dog experiences. And a

couple annoying dog owner experiences. I have zero tolerance.

I also had some luck simply stopping, staring the dogs down, yelling at them, and sometimes even chasing them back. The majority of dogs will back down from a display of aggression. You need to educate yourself on dog body language to tell the difference between a dog that's chasing you for sport vs. one that really means you harm.

To your original question, if a dog chases you in a public area, acts aggressively, and you have no means of easy escape, then yes I'd say shooting them is justified.

If the dog attacks you, you can do whatever is necessary to prevent loss of life or serious bodily harm.

If this is a pit mix then likely you would not get charged with discharging a firearm in city limits but IANAL so I would first contact them.

The first thing I would do would be to report to animal control the incident. You should also keep a cell phone on you while you run or bike. If the dog/s happen to do this again you should call immediately. Don't wait until you are home.

If there is a history of you contacting the authorities relating to the matter then you should be good to go.

As others have said, the first though would be to report them to animal control in your area so that the officers can either find the owners or pick the dogs up if the owners can't be found. The other option is the mace that you already have. Also as stated once you feel serious danger I would say you're well within your rights to shoot the dogs, but this should definately be a last resort because you will be opening yourself up to retaliation from most dog owners.

In most rural areas there are no leash laws. I know a guy a few years ago whos dog got out in the road and got run over. The guy driving the car sued for the damages to the car. The dog owner won his case because there were no leash laws in the area, and the driver was suppose to maintain control of his vehicle at all times. I'm not sure if the dog owner pursued this part, but his lawyer had advised him that he could even counter sue the driver for the cost of the dog. Best bet in your situation would be calling animal control and see if they can handle things, or use non lethal means of making the dogs run away from you instead of towards you.

You can run off 90% of Dogs with water ...

Don't label dogs you are not sure what they are Pit/Mix.

Go on a dog board not a Gun Board to ask what to do.

Carry a plastic bottle of JUST water and lung toward the dog yell and spray.

Bet they run ... Dogs that won't have most likely been protection trained and would not be running the streets.

It's lazy owners who let there dogs run around free not the Dogs Fault.

... In most rural areas there are no leash laws. ...

There is a state leash law...

44-8-408. Dogs not allowed at large — Exception — Penalties. —

(a) As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires, “owner†means a person who, at the time of the offense, regularly harbors, keeps or exercises control over the dog, but does not include a person who, at the time of the offense, is temporarily harboring, keeping or exercising control over the dog.

(:crazy: The owner of a dog commits an offense if that dog goes uncontrolled by the owner upon the premises of another without the consent of the owner of the premises or other person authorized to give consent, or goes uncontrolled by the owner upon a highway, public road, street or any other place open to the public generally.

© It is an exception to the application of this section that:

(1) The dog was on a hunt or chase;

(2) The dog was on the way to or from a hunt or chase;

(3) The dog was guarding or driving stock or on the way to guard or drive stock;

(4) The dog was being moved from one place to another by the owner of the dog;

(5) The dog is a police or military dog, the injury occurred during the course of the dog's official duties and the person injured was a party to, a participant in or suspected of being a party to or participant in the act or conduct that prompted the police or military to utilize the services of the dog;

(6) The violation of subsection (;) occurred while the injured person was on the private property of the dog's owner with the intent to engage in unlawful activity while on the property;

(7) The violation of subsection (B) occurred while the dog was protecting the dog's owner or other innocent party from attack by the injured person or an animal owned by the injured person;

(8) The violation of subsection (B) occurred while the dog was securely confined in a kennel, crate or other enclosure; or

(9) The violation of subsection (B) occurred as a result of the injured person disturbing, harassing, assaulting or otherwise provoking the dog.

(d) The exception to the application of this section provided in subdivisions ©(1)-(4) shall not apply unless the owner in violation of subsection (B) pays or tenders payment for all damages caused by the dog to the injured party within thirty (30) days of the damage being caused.

(e) It is not a defense to prosecution for a violation of subsection (B) and punished pursuant to subdivision (g)(1), (g)(2) or (g)(3) that the dog owner exercised reasonable care in attempting to confine or control the dog.

(f) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution for a violation of subsection (B) and punished pursuant to subdivision (g)(4) or (g)(5) that the dog owner exercised reasonable care in attempting to confine or control the dog.

(g) (1) A violation of this section is a Class C misdemeanor punishable by fine only.

(2) A violation of this section is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by fine only if the dog running at large causes damage to the property of another.

(3) A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor punishable by fine only if the dog running at large causes bodily injury, as defined by § 39-11-106, to another.

(4) A violation of this section is a Class E felony if the dog running at large causes serious bodily injury, as defined by § 39-11-106, to another.

(5) A violation of this section is a Class D felony if the dog running at large causes the death of another.

(h) Notwithstanding subsection (g), a violation of this section shall be punished as provided in subsection (i) if the violation involves:

(1) A dog that was trained to fight, attack or kill or had been used to fight; or

(2) The owner of the dog violating this section knew of the dangerous nature of the dog and, prior to the violation of this section, the dog had bitten one (1) or more people that resulted in serious bodily injury or death.

(i) A violation of this section, where one (1) or more of the factors set out in subsection (h) are present, shall be punished as follows:

(1) A Class C misdemeanor if the dog running at large does not cause property damage, injury or death;

(2) A Class A misdemeanor if the dog running at large causes damage to the property of another;

(3) A Class E felony if the dog running at large causes bodily injury to another;

(4) A Class D felony if the dog running at large causes serious bodily injury to another; and

(5) A Class C felony if the dog running at large causes the death of another.

[Acts 1901, ch. 50, § 1; 1903, ch. 419, § 1; Shan., § 2853a4; Code 1932, § 5086; T.C.A. (orig. ed.), §§ 44-1408, 44-8-108; Acts 2007, ch. 533, § 1; 2007, ch. 556, § 1.]

Guest jackdm3

Reminds me of when I was 14 or so and my granddad let me ride his mopeds on nearby streets. I was on one road where it deadended. No problem there, but when I turned around and headed out, I found a GSD on my 4 0'clock, getting closer and closer. The bike topped out at 30 miles an hour and he was nipping at my tailpipe. Somehow got 31 out of it, which was just enough as my heart raced. Well guess what? I went back for more! 2 or 3 times. Yeah. I'm a wild man!

There is a state leash law...

I guess it's either fairly new, or county areas around here don't honor it much, as in the incident that I mentioned the dog owner's defense DID hold up in court and the driver of the vehicle had to pay court costs and lawyer fees. This was several years ago, and personally I haven't had a dog in the last 15 years so I haven't kept up with it. I will say though there has always been a need for statewide leash laws so it's good to know it's there, for situations like the OP is in, as well as many others.