Glock: Not locking open

A friend has a new Glock 23 gen. 3 with about 200 rnds fired, so he still breaking it in. He had been shooting Blazer Brass and aluminum ammo with no problems. He shot Federal Champion yesterday and the slide would not lock open after last shot and he had one stove pipe. The magazines were properly seated. I suspect it is the ammo, but I had always heard Glock will reliably shoot any ammo, except lead. I have told him to shoot some other ammo. Has anyone had this experience or have any ideas as to the cause of this problem?

Thank you for your help.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not the gun it is the operator. your friend is doing what is called limp wristing, (breaking wrist up ward) and that is what usually causes stove pipes in Glocks, Slide not locking back at the last round.

I agree with the limp wristing also. Something to consider ? the Federal Champion ammo is not as potent as others while at the range yesterday I noticed significant less recoil between the Federal ammo Vs. the Seller & Bellot that I have been using. I had no issues with the ammo at all though( fired 100 rds) so his Limp wristing problem may have just reared its ugly head using this ammo .

With no ammo in the magazine, after racking the slide does the slide lock open? It should lock open after this.

I agree.

I'd guess limp-wristing or he's riding the slide-release with his thumb by accident (doing this is the only time this has ever happend for me with a Glock).

Glock mags are pretty darn solid (IMO they're really one of the main reasons for Glock's awesome reliability compared to guns with lesser mag designs), he'd have to be extremely unlucky to have found one that doesn't work right.

I agree.

I'd guess limp-wristing or he's riding the slide-release with his thumb by accident (doing this is the only time this has ever happend for me with a Glock).

I had something similar happen, and it turns out my thumb was getting just enough of the slide release to keep it from seating on an empty mag - it's an easy mistake to make. Mine happened with a Sig. My first instinct was to blame the mags and ammo, but careful analysis of the problem revealed that the true issue was the nut behind the gun.:D

I find this hard to beleive if not nearly impossible for the following two reasons:

1. Glocks NEVER fail, NEVER under any conditions.

2. Only 100 year old designs are susceptible to limp wristing

seriously I would look at what that one guy who previously posted said good info there.

Guest Glock23ForMe

I, too, own a Glock 23 that is a baby, a.k.a. brand new, and I've never had any problems with the slide not locking back or any stovepipes. I would say limpwristing is the key right there. Also, like said above, see if the slide will lock back with the mag empty and in.

I never understood why people will buy a nice gun then feed it crap for ammo.

I never understood why anyone would buy (or hold onto) a gun that only worked with only some (and not all kinds of) ammo.

Guest Plainsman
i'll take my glock 23 (everyday carry gun) and put it up against anyone elses carry gun.

And although I am certain that all of my carry guns would hang with your 23, I do not believe that there would be a malfunction whatsoever....endless competition!

And although I am certain that all of my carry guns would hang with your 23, I do not believe that there would be a malfunction whatsoever....endless competition!

and while you may be correct, and this could be debated all day long, my point is at the least a glock can hang with, or surpass any other gun thru any type of torture test. I aslo will say, due to personal experience, this about a good 1911, Some Sig Sauers, and HK. :rolleyes:

...my point is at the least a glock can hang with, or surpass any other gun thru any type of torture test. I aslo will say, due to personal experience, this about a good 1911, Some Sig Sauers, and HK. :up:

In my experience, you may just be being polite. :D

Guest The Highlander

Lower pressure ammo/limpwristing/riding the slide release

These are about the only ways I can think of that would cause the problem, assuming the gun is correctly assembled.

I agree with Glockmeister. I've shot, carried, and abused my Glocks for 15 years now. In 9mm, 10mm, .357 SIG, and .45 ACP. In 15 years, I have had exactly zero malfunctions, misfeeds, stovepipes, or any other problem.

I can also say the same about SIG, Kimber, and Kahr's I've owned and fired too though. Just give me a good, reliable gun, and I'll be happy with about any caliber.

I bet the problem is very simple to fix.

Guest 6.8 AR

The only problems I've had with any of my Glocks is my early reloads. My G30 or G21

will remain my carry piece. That 1911 of mine is great but not a carry item.

Was his thumb on the slide release?

Guest bart_p
I find this hard to beleive if not nearly impossible for the following two reasons:

1. Glocks NEVER fail, NEVER under any conditions.

2. Only 100 year old designs are susceptible to limp wristing

seriously I would look at what that one guy who previously posted said good info there.

I'm sorry but this really irritated me. In your life, how many Glocks have you shot/seen being shot at the range? Now, how many have you seen being fired in combat conditions? I'm willing to bet these numbers combined are a fraction of what Glock produces in a single day. My point is your control group is very small and you cannot make a generalization based on that. Every mechanical device made is susceptible to failure and Glock is no exception. As a matter of fact, I've seen more Glocks fail than any other brand of handgun with the exception of Kimber.

Also, the limp-wristing comment made no logical sense. If you limp-wrist a gun that weighs in at least half as much as your so-called 100 year old gun the effects will be much worse than doing so with a gun that weighs considerably more.

Not trying to be hostile, just trying to correct a perceived misconception.

Bart

Edit: Sorry for the threadjack. Congrats on solving the problem OP.

Guest Plainsman
I'm sorry but this really irritated me. In your life, how many Glocks have you shot/seen being shot at the range? Now, how many have you seen being fired in combat conditions? I'm willing to bet these numbers combined are a fraction of what Glock produces in a single day. My point is your control group is very small and you cannot make a generalization based on that. Every mechanical device made is susceptible to failure and Glock is no exception. As a matter of fact, I've seen more Glocks fail than any other brand of handgun with the exception of Kimber.

Also, the limp-wristing comment made no logical sense. If you limp-wrist a gun that weighs in at least half as much as your so-called 100 year old gun the effects will be much worse than doing so with a gun that weighs considerably more.

Not trying to be hostile, just trying to correct a perceived misconception.

Bart

Edit: Sorry for the threadjack. Congrats on solving the problem OP.

It was a joke dude...are you really that oblivious to sarcasm?