Your perfect 1911?

Guest Halfpint

Guest Halfpint

If you could build (or have built) a 1911--any brand--to your specs as a carry gun, what would it be, and what would the build entail?

For me, a Wilson CQB Compact, black/black, with an ambi safety, with the trigger tuned to 4.5 pounds--I don't like them any lighter. Diamond-pattern G-10 grips, a Speed-Chute, and their "combat pyramid" night sights would cap it off rather nicely. It already includes all the "bullet-proof" parts and the reliability package is already taken care of, so that's pretty much it.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me... It would be the Kimber CDP. I like the looks and all. The size for me would be either the "compact" or the "Pro". That is about as "high end" as I would feel like going.

I also like the idea of a simple military style... like the Springfield Mil-Spec Champion. Or even their G.I. 45 model.

But over all it would be mainly a range gun. i am jsut not comfortable carring cocked and locked. I have never been "trained" or practiced with that type of carrying. It is a mental thing I have to get over. I know how the action is, the grip safety and lever acting to provide a double saftey in a way... but I just can't get over that hammer back. Logic tells me it's fine... but I'm just not used to it. It must be from growing up shooting single action revolvers I guess.

And yes... I understand the contradiction of me being willing to carry a glock that has no external safteys but doesn't want to carry a 1911 that would have two safteys. Like I said... I admit it makes to logical sense. LOL!! (But I am working on it.)

Disney's Kimber.

Maybe I'm just normally a bad shot, but I picked up his Kimber Saturday and put 8 rounds into one hole the first time, and in a very relaxed manner. I didn't even really have to "try." The gun just pointed naturally and sent the bullets were I wanted them to go. That half-rubber finger grooved grip was great, too. I fully believe that's why it shot so well. The only thing I might change would be to make it a bob-tail, but I'd have to shoot one (maybe next time, Tungsten! :rolleyes: ) to see if it made a big difference in how it pointed in my hands.

Disney's Kimber.

Maybe I'm just normally a bad shot, but I picked up his Kimber Saturday and put 8 rounds into one hole the first time, and in a very relaxed manner. I didn't even really have to "try." The gun just pointed naturally and sent the bullets were I wanted them to go. That half-rubber finger grooved grip was great, too. I fully believe that's why it shot so well. The only thing I might change would be to make it a bob-tail, but I'd have to shoot one (maybe next time, Tungsten! :up: ) to see if it made a big difference in how it pointed in my hands.

Okay,I think we can all agree that Disney's Kimber was freaking awesome as far as performance, if only that gun had hot pink grips....:rolleyes:

Guest Verbal Kint
If you could build (or have built) a 1911--any brand--to your specs as a carry gun, what would it be, and what would the build entail?

The Wilson Professional, that I'm awaiting delivery of, specced to my liking. :up:

Wilson Combat Professional Model

.45ACP

Carbon Steel Frame

Non-Bobtail

Ambidextrous Safety

Speed-Chute Magazine Well

Black/Black Armor-Tuff Finish

Non-Coated Trigger

Black Hex Head Grip Screws

G10 Grips / Speed-Chute Cut (Black, Diamond Pattern)

Tactical Combat Pyramid Sights - Tritium Inserts

Approximately 4 more weeks... :rolleyes:

The perfect 1911 would have:

-A rotating cylinder for a magazine

-A fixed barrel

-Double/single trigger pull capability

-Be capable of firing more than one caliber.

-Be capable of launching anything from 100gr bullet to 180 gr bullet

-Fire reliably with no jams or failures to feed.

Hmm......

• Administrator
The Wilson Professional, that I'm awaiting delivery of, specced to my liking. :up:

.45ACP

Carbon Steel Frame

Non-Bobtail

Ambidextrous Safety

Non-Coated Trigger

The title of this thread was "perfect 1911" .... You lose. :P

Actually I would love to have a non-bobtail, government length CQB in black Armor Tuff with the same setup that you listed. I just loves me some Pro Bobtail for CCW so I can't knock the bobtail at all. Love the gun, love the grip. But the CQB would be loads of fun for OWB carry and general range frivolity. :D

Guest Halfpint

.45ACP

Carbon Steel Frame

Non-Bobtail

Ambidextrous Safety

Non-Coated Trigger

Shorten the grip and you basically stole my gun . . . no fair.

Hope you enjoy it, I have a while to wait and a few more things on my list --AOW, suppressor, and a 5R--before I order mine. Already know I'll love it, just gotta get it.

The perfect 1911 would have:

-A rotating cylinder for a magazine

-A fixed barrel

-Double/single trigger pull capability

-Be capable of firing more than one caliber.

-Be capable of launching anything from 100gr bullet to 180 gr bullet

-Fire reliably with no jams or failures to feed.

sounds like my SP101 .357mag

Nighthawk Custom GRP2,

3.0 Lb Trigger

Ed Brown Bobtail

Ed Brown single side safety

Ed Brown Memory Groove Beavertail grip safety

Ed Brown Slide stop, Cut and recessed

Novak Night Sights rear Yellow, front Green (sighted in for 15 yards Federal HydraShok 230 Grain)

Naked Slide, no rollmarks

Crowned and recessed Barrel

Coated in Diamond Black (This is my Perfect 1911 carry gun built exactly to my specifications)

Steve1_800.jpg

Steve2_800.jpg

Guest canynracer

the PREFECT 1911??? free...LOL...I dont know enoguh about them to spend alot.

The perfect 1911 for me? The one that would actually feed hollow points. :D

WOW you must have had some extremely bad experiences, all of my 1911's have happily fed hollowpoints, I guess if my only experience with 1911's was misfeeding of hollowpoints, i would have went to Glock like you, it is a shame that you havent had one that runs right, Im pretty sure that you would love it.:popcorn: