Legitimate concern

A couple nights ago at the Domino's I work at, late one night, the store manager tells me to stay in the back because a couple guys are casin' the place (he thinks). He made sure they know he was here and didn't want them to know I was. I sit in the back, and I grab a knife just in case. They leave, but come back later after I had left for the night, leaving just the manager and 1 driver there. At this point, he calls the police, NMPD. 3 undercovers are sent to the scene just driving around to see if they do anything. The manager and driver go to the bank to deposit the cash and they make their move. Undoubtedly they were attempting to hijack the drop. We have no idea how armed they were if at all, but they were fortunately thwarted by the 3 UC's that swarmed them the instant they made a move and chased them down to a dead end street where I have no doubt they were apprehended. I think this is a perfectly legitimate reason for Domino's to allow us to keep at least some kind of firearm within the store. I would ask to be allowed to carry on delivery but we deliver to schools and I know they'll shoot that down as long as concealed carry is banned on school grounds.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Glock23ForMe
If it were me, there would be no asking. I would carry. Concealed, of course. There isn't a job that's worth your life.

+1(00)

Well like I said it should be coming in tomorrow. Ordering online just saves money plain and simple. I would've bought at least a little at a store but I thought it was coming in sooner then it was. I'm always either at work or at school where I can't carry anyway, and up until a couple nights ago I worked at a location that never had any problems so I didn't care that much, so for all those reasons combined I wasn't too worried about not immediately having ammo.

My job doesn't take me to unfamiliar places, but which real headline would you rather be? I know. It's not really a choice. +1 for legal carry.

A pizza deliveryman won't face charges for fatally shooting a would-be robber several times when he was approached in a high-crime area, but his employer, Pizza Hut, has fired him for violating a company policy against carrying firearms.

or

Flint police say a pizza delivery man is dead. He was shot during a robbery Wednesday night.

Businesses Opt out of allowing firearms especially for employees because of liability issues .I think if we didn't live in a sue happy world where cases are won that are devoid of any common sense .Most businesses would be neutral on law abiding citizens carrying for personal protection.

My Father back in the 1970's was a manager of a Big Box retail chain store that sold electronics , jewelry,sporting goods and appliances . He was allowed to carry by his bosses .And one one occasion actually discharged his .357 in defense of one of his employees shooting the Perp in his shoulder .His company actually gave him an attaboy for his actions . In this era he would have been fired long before he ever had the occasion to use it and definitely if he did .

I'll take the first, but there'd be another one following it. "Dominos employee sues company for wrongful termination-claims policy is unconstitutional and he should be allowed to defend himself as long as there is legitimate concern".

My dad used to work at The Coin Purse in Green Hills. Some of you might know the place, it deals in coins of all kinds, including rare hard to find and expensive ones. For that reason they are a well armed store. I used to love going there as a kid to look at the guns.

The times call for a complete and thorough evaluation of your situation in respect to ones job. Does a company policy prohibit carry? Can you have a weapon on company grounds? Does the area or the job cause you concern for your safety? These just scratch the surface on what to cover in considering going armed.

My previous employer banned all weapons; even tried to stop the carry of pocket knives; on company grounds and in company vehicles. Most of us ran routes of 200/400 miles per day, carrying product and collecting for sales and due bills from customers.

Oficially, this was the case. However, several did carry with the knowledge that it would cost our jobs if found out. So you must ask yourself if the lose of the job is worth the risk to you. Is your life worth more than the job?

Each situation may be different, but I know what my awnser would be in the case of pizza delivery. Care to guess what I did on my job?:popcorn:

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

If I am not mistaken you can carry on school grounds if you are only dropping off and/or picking up. Wonder if this would apply to pizza..LOL. Seriously I would carry. As mentioned in a previous reply no job is worth your life.

Guest 270win

I wouldn't discuss this with my coworkers or my manager. Don't ask for permission because you won't get it. I've worked in bad parts of Memphis and just kept my mouth shut and carried a little snub.

Get a good holster...the right sized handgun...and no one will know. Your life isn't worth some stupid company's policy when you are working a job that is like working at a liquor store or gas station carrying cash. I wouldn't care if I had a stupid permit or not...I know I'd already be carrying discreetly and not telling anyone about it..been there done that when I felt the need...and man you badly need to be carrying in a cash type delivery business.

Regarding schools....how often do you go to those? You can deal with that and probably be legal by unloading the handgun BEFORE getting to the school (removing intent to go armed) and not handling it until you leave the school property to load up.

If you're in Nashville, go by Bass Pro, some of the gun stores, get some quality hollowpoint ammo...a good fitting holster that's going to hide that handgun that you can still draw fast...and if necessary a smaller handgun (not smaller than 38/9mm)...I like a pocket holster for my snub 38. Stay safe man.

Guest Benelli Nova Guy

My job doesn't allow us to have a firearm on the premises period. We were robbed 2 yrs ago and we have a very transient customer base. It forces one to learn situtional awareness in a hurry lol. Some days I pay bills before I go to work, so I have to park off premises. It sucks, but it's worth the walk to still be employed.

When I was 16 years old I worked for Cassanos Pizza in Ohio, the store manager gave me a Colt Python .357 Magnum to keep handy during closings and deposits, at the time I did not even know if it were legal or not but I sure felt a heck of a lot safer with that Colt with me and looking back to this day that was one of the best bosses that I ever had, he cared more about my safety than any legal issues he would possibly face.

Yeah, I was much more worried about the whole carrying on school grounds felony then Dominos policy. I'd need a smaller gun. Thinking about picking up one of those Snakeslayers and throwing in 2 shells of 000 buck as a good vehicle gun. We get deliveries to Ensworth and Nashville Christian a lot. We go to some other schools but we supply the concession stands to Ensworth and NCS for sporting events. Big orders, good tips. It'll be a little bit before I can afford to pick up another gun though, with my truck it seems like it's somethin' new every day. I carried against company policy once while working for Blockbuster, but I was under direct order of the store manager. It was after Gustave hit Baton Rouge and we had no power and had already been broken into one night. One wall of our building was solid glass. Breaking into that store was like signing up for Geico. It was so easy a caveman could do it. The instant the store manager found out I had a handgun he told me to bring it in the morning when we opened.

I wanted to mention that you manager deserves props for recognizing the potential threat. A lot of managers have their head in the sand when it comes to that sort of thing.

We were robbed at gunpoint about a year ago but since I work at a restaurant I'm not supposed to carry. I usually leave my gun in my car and if I'm going to be there really late I pull my car around front. There have been times when my manager has asked me to stay with him to finish up. He says he feels safer knowing I have my gun.

If I were you, i would find a way to carry concealed. deep deep concealed if necessary. And don't tell anyone or ask for permission. Worst case scenario you lose your job. Better than your life.

Ebow1,

I was a driver for Domino's for three years. I worked at the store on Nolensville Rd at Ocala. I always carried when I delivered. Pizza delivery drivers are easy targets. We had three different drivers robbed when I worked there. My manager knew I carried. We had an understanding that I if I got caught carrying by one of his bosses that I would say he did not know I was carrying.

You will have to make your own choice but I decided that I could always find another job as long as I was not dead.

Guest no_masters

If I was you I would do what everyone else said and just not mention it. There was a whole string of delivery drivers being robbed in hermitage awhile back and metro helped do a sting with them.

Thank you kckndrgn. That particular holster would come in very handy should I choose to carry on the job. Still a bit worried about the school grounds thing, but after looking at that holster I have complete confidence that nobody I don't want to see the gun ever will.