1911's work when drenched in Mud

willis68

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you compete at MSSA? IDPA or USPSA?

Yep, MSSA. I shoot mostly IDPA there, but have shot USPSA, too. I shoot the once-a-month steel match about every other month. I'm shooting a 3-gun match there this weekend, unless it starts snowing flaming donkey turds.

You should get a kick out of this: Now that I'm fooling around with this new EMP I picked up, and am planning to probably move to ESP with a 1911, my Glock 34 is already starting to point high. I though it would take a while before that happened, not only a few days!

And I sometimes wish more folks I compete against would shoot 1911s. That tap-rack-bang routine burns up time.

Pretty much have got to agree 100% based on what I've seen in IDPA... let's put it this way, it's WAY more likely that every single 1911 in the field will F'up at least once than it is that more than maybe one Glock will, and when it does happen it's almost always a FTHLDFC (failure-to-hand-load a decent freakin' cartridge).

You should get a kick out of this: Now that I'm fooling around with this new EMP I picked up, and am planning to probably move to ESP with a 1911, my Glock 34 is already starting to point high. I though it would take a while before that happened, not only a few days!

Now, see, that makes no sense to me in my experience as I was on the hunt for and about to drop the coin on an EMP a while back but observed, read, and experienced all kinds of nonsense...

I'm starting to look at these a lot like I look at guitars, I've had $5000 flashy ones that sucked and sounded like crap and second-hand $200 mexican strats that positively ruled... sometimes the mojo is there if the parts are the right stuff and they're just put together magically right regardless.

Maybe 1911's are like Les Pauls, most are overpriced and suck, but there are ones out there that are so worth it that even the s**tty ones get brought home too.

Damn Tim, now you've got me looking at 2011's and $120 tuned mags in weirdo calibers like .38 super rimless and s**t... I'm taking a hard look at a few of these monsters that are out there and might have to try one out.

Gotta say though, I went shooting today for a bit and for a $500 gun I am still totally happy with the amazing zero maintenance, bomb reliable, plastic gun that shoots one hole groups out to 15 yards or more with the cheapest ammo I can feed it... maybe I'd have a different opinion on things if a Glock 17 came free with every $1000 1911 jam-o-matic that's out there!

I've decided that many of the 1911's out there are probably just like some of the flashy axes you'll find at your local Guitar Center, they're there for the hobbyist who's got more money than skills to take home and shine up a lot and play now and then, not necessarily the guy who's giging every night.

Edited by CK1
Pretty much have got to agree 100% based on what I've seen in IDPA... let's put it this way, it's WAY more likely that every single 1911 in the field will F'up at least once than it is that more than maybe one Glock will, and when it does happen it's almost always a FTHLDFC (failure-to-hand-load a decent freakin' cartridge).

I've decided that many of the 1911's out there are probably just like some of the flashy axes you'll find at your local Guitar Center, they're there for the hobbyist who's got more money than skills to take home and shine up a lot and play now and then, not necessarily the guy who's giging every night.

Pretty much the opposite. In divisions where both glocks and 1911/2011s can be used the JMB pistols will out number the glocks easily 30 to 1. IDPA and USPSA, while I love both, are two completely different crowds. Nobody I compete with in USPSA would put up with anything less than 100% gun. So, if either of you glock boys want to come and shoot Limited or Open with your glock and feel that you will in anyway have an advantage because of malfuntions I welcome you with open arms. Bring it.:P

And I think I know a little bit about giging guitar quality, and I'm taking my 1911 for sure for the session work. You can do the road gig.

And I think I know a little bit about giging guitar quality, and I'm taking my 1911 for sure for the session work. You can do the road gig.

:P:rock::rock: YESSSSSSS! Dude KNOWS!!!!! (Martin/Taylor for the serious stuff, Tak/Ovation for the bus... oh, yeah...)

So, if either of you glock boys want to come and shoot Limited or Open with your glock and feel that you will in anyway have an advantage because of malfuntions I welcome you with open arms. Bring it.:(

Tell you what,

Why don't you bring an ESP gun of your choice to an IDPA match and we'll see what you can do against me and my stock Glock 34.

or that Sevigny guy...

Weird... he shoots a strange looking 1911.:(

So if Vogal is Production champ, and Sevigny is Limited-10 champion that only means that Glock's own the top spots in 2 out of the 5 divisions in USPSA... now I see what Tim was getting at, that's not even half.:D

Weird... he shoots a strange looking 1911.:(

So if Vogal is Production champ, and Sevigny is Limited-10 champion that only means that Glock's own the top spots in 2 out of the 5 divisions in USPSA... now I see what Tim was getting at, that's not even half.:D

I'm sure Tiger Woods could out putt most of the planet with a banana but that does not porve that a banana is the best tool.:screwy::D