4th Gen Glock 19

Erik88

I had a chance to shoot a 3rd gen Glock 19 not long ago and really enjoyed it. My only problem is that I have small hands. 6a00d83451c17f69e20120a5a01abe970c-450wi

I was thinking about holding out and buying a 4th gen G19 but I keep hearing mixed reviews about them. What do you guys think?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were in the market for a new carry gun I'd let someone else beta test the Gen 4 G19 and buy a Gen 3 G19.

This probably wouldn't be a carry gun. I'm looking for a 9mm that is fun to shoot but small enough to carry if I ever wanted to. Thanks for the input though.

I don't have the G19 but the Gen4 G22, Gen3 RTF2 G22 and G23. The Gen4 G22 does have a little less distance to the trigger and feels a little better when gripped for shooting, for me.

I think you should try before buying just to make sure it will work for you.

Never had a problem with the Gen4, first day put 400 rounds thru it and many more since. Never really had a gun related problem with Glocks.

I don't have the G19 but the Gen4 G22, Gen3 RTF2 G22 and G23. The Gen4 G22 does have a little less distance to the trigger and feels a little better when gripped for shooting, for me.

I think you should try before buying just to make sure it will work for you.

Never had a problem with the Gen4, first day put 400 rounds thru it and many more since. Never really had a gun related problem with Glocks.

Thanks for the input. Any idea when the gen 4 G19's are supposed to hit the shelves?

I just ordered a 4th Gen 17. I plan to test it out well before with a variety of ammo before it is eligible to move from the big safe to the quick access "bump in the night safe" where my 3rd gen 19 currently resides. I'll post any issues since any 4th Gen problems will likely affect either both models. I think Davidson's (Gungenie.com) already has 4th Generation 19s and 23s in their search engine so they should be available very soon. The 4th Gen does have a shorter trigger reach and a better feel to me.

FWIW, I've noticed over the last couple years that when most of the guys who say the 1st-3rd generation Glock grip is too big for them that nine times out of ten it just means that their grip and trigger technique needs work. Of course I've seen a few guys and gals who's hands were really to small for 'em on occasion, but overall, with good technique the 1st-3rd generation Glock grips are fine for most people.

For most, the pad of their trigger finger landing on the trigger is best, but guns that "feel great in the hand" are almost always thinner than they need to be and sometimes leave the relaxed trigger position closer to a shooters distal joint or further up than the pad or tip which is what is most desirable.

When I hear guys say "get whatever feels best" without mentioning shooting technique, sometimes I think to myself "you do know we're not buying a new pair of sneakers here...", and all-too-often they're the same guys posting "hey, my glock/xd/m&p shoots left...it's not me is it?".

If your hands are indeed really too small for a 3rd generation G19, IMO I'd take a long hard look at an M&P.

FWIW, I've noticed over the last couple years that when most of the guys who say the 1st-3rd generation Glock grip is too big for them that nine times out of ten it just means that their grip and trigger technique needs work. Of course I've seen a few guys and gals who's hands were really to small for 'em on occasion, but overall, with good technique the 1st-3rd generation Glock grips are fine for most people.

For most, the pad of their trigger finger landing on the trigger is best, but guns that "feel great in the hand" are almost always thinner than they need to be and sometimes leave the relaxed trigger position closer to a shooters distal joint or further up than the pad or tip which is what is most desirable.

When I hear guys say "get whatever feels best" without mentioning shooting technique, sometimes I think to myself "you do know we're not buying a new pair of sneakers here...", and all-too-often they're the same guys posting "hey, my glock/xd/m&p shoots left...it's not me is it?".

If your hands are indeed really too small for a 3rd generation G19, IMO I'd take a long hard look at an M&P.

It's not that I couldn't make it work, but there are some guns that just feel better in my hands. My Taurus for instance has a smaller grip than my XD so it feels more comfortable in my hands.

I was just thinking that if the 4th gen has a smaller grip it might be better for me.

It's not that I couldn't make it work, but there are some guns that just feel better in my hands. My Taurus for instance has a smaller grip than my XD so it feels more comfortable in my hands.

I was just thinking that if the 4th gen has a smaller grip it might be better for me.

"Feel's better in my hands" is over-rated IMO, after sending a few thousand rounds downrange anything will feel pretty good.

While weapon choice is an entirely subjective thing, and hopefully without causing an argument, IMO I'd take 1 Glock over 5 each of any Taurus or XD no matter how good they felt.

Remember, unless you're already a Master-level shooter, 99.9% of the time: Training/Practice > New/Different Gun.

"Feel's better in my hands" is over-rated IMO, after sending a few thousand rounds downrange anything will feel pretty good.

While weapon choice is an entirely subjective thing, and hopefully without causing an argument, IMO I'd take 1 Glock over 5 each of any Taurus or XD no matter how good they felt.

Remember, unless you're already a Master-level shooter, 99.9% of the time: Training/Practice > New/Different Gun.

I don't know if I agree it's over-rated. That's like saying you can buy a shoe thats 2 sizes to big but after you walk 1000 miles you foot will get used to it.

Anyways, before this turns into a ;) lets move on. Thanks again for your input.

I don't know if I agree it's over-rated. That's like saying you can buy a shoe thats 2 sizes to big but after you walk 1000 miles you foot will get used to it.

No. It's not like saying that at all.

Forget it...

I agree with CKs assertion that some people are probably looking for a grip smaller than they need. I thought my 19 was a little to big before I reassessed my grip and found out my fit on all the Glocks (except the .45s) is actually pretty good.

Guest Glock23ForMe

I am pretty sure that the gen 3 and gen 4 grips are the same size. I do know that they are basing the gen 4 glocks on the .40 cal size rather than the gen 1-3, 9x19

I agree with CKs assertion that some people are probably looking for a grip smaller than they need. I thought my 19 was a little to big before I reassessed my grip and found out my fit on all the Glocks (except the .45s) is actually pretty good.

Right, I'm not saying the 3rd gen is too big. In fact I did enjoy shooting it. But if the 4th gen has a smaller grip and since I do have smaller hands wouldn't it make sense to buy the 4th gen?

Guest FiddleDog

I understand you. I would personally wait for the 4th gen if I were you. I face the same issue and ended selling my G19 because of the grip size. the 19 and the 26 are comparable in slide length, so I would think that the new dual recoil spring should not cause any FTFeed issue as is currently the worry for the 4th gen 17 (I think i've only seen one documented instance of it - and there was no direct causal like between the FTFeed and the recoil rod)

I am pretty sure that the gen 3 and gen 4 grips are the same size. I do know that they are basing the gen 4 glocks on the .40 cal size rather than the gen 1-3, 9x19

When I handled one, the Gen 4 with no backstrap attachment felt ever-so-slightly smaller in diameter than the Gen 3. I didn't measure it, but one of the reviews I read confirmed this also. I also like the feel of the modified RTF. To the OP, I'd say wait until you can at least feel the Gen 4 to make a decision. I think it felt better, but not way better. I have no intention of replacing my G19 or my G26 with Gen 4s. I wanted a full-size and I ordered the Gen 4 I like the feel of it. When you factor in that you get 3 mags with it instead of 2, there really wasn't a price premium. I also wasn't buying it as an EDC, so I don't mind putting a lot of rounds through it before I feel comfortable to use it for nightstand or carry duty. I guess I'll be surprised and dissappointed if there are issues since I've used all kinds of cheap, dirty and really old ammo in my 3rd Gen guns and I've never had one FTE or FTF. I'll make sure to post if there are any issues.

Edited by JReedEsq
Guest gw2and4
Any idea when the gen 4 G19's are supposed to hit the shelves?

In the Armorer's Course today, we heard they'll be out by the end of May. Unless you're in a hurry, you might wait until they're out and compare.

Guest gw2and4

+1. If you are already a "Glock person", and you can tolerate the feel of the gun for longer than 20 seconds--then you can probably get used to shooting it well after appropriate practice time. For me, it's obvious REALLY fast when a gun's frame is too big. Like the non-SF models 20 and 21. I pick them up and within 5 seconds say: "nope. too big for me". But the 23, 22Gen4, 35, 34, 17Gen4, 19 and 26--although all slightly different from one another--work for me and fit in my hands. And so I practice to get good with each.

Best of luck whatever decision you end up making. Can't go wrong with any 9mm Glock, really.

For me, it's obvious REALLY fast when a gun's frame is too big. Like the non-SF models 20 and 21. I pick them up and within 5 seconds say: "nope. too big for me". But the 23, 22Gen4, 35, 34, 17Gen4, 19 and 26--although all slightly different from one another--work for me and fit in my hands. And so I practice to get good with each.

Best of luck whatever decision you end up making. Can't go wrong with any 9mm Glock, really.

Agreed.