Motorcycle Training Program

Guest clsutton21

Guest clsutton21

I've been thinking about getting my license and learning to ride and wondered if anyone has used this group: MidTennMotorcycle.com It costs $205 but they provide the bikes and helmets. It also allows you to waive the written and driving portion of the license exam and most insurance companies give 10% off premiums. I've never ridden before.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. They're supposed to be good from what I'm told. Standard MSF curriculum, which is a good thing! (Motorcycle Safety Foundation).

Check these guys out too: LearnToRide.ORG Home Page the web site lacks a bit of polish but I know someone who took their course and said it was very hands on.

Either way, good on you for taking a course.

Edited by Arko
Guest c.a.s.

Are there any in my part of East TN? It looks interesting, even if I don't have a motorcycle and likely won't have one for a pretty good while.

Are there any in my part of East TN? It looks interesting, even if I don't have a motorcycle and likely won't have one for a pretty good while.

Call around to a couple of the local motorcycle dealers. Knoxville HD specifically. They will have all the information on who offers them in this area. I took one 12 years ago for about $75, but I'm sure that's changed. Bikes & helmets provided.

My wife took her MSF class at Pellisippi State. They run it regularly.

As Garufa mentioned, contact HD too. I forgot the do their own "Rider's edge" program.

I also don't yet own a motorcycle, but I've been wanting to take the course just for the knowledge.

Who knows ? Maybe one day my wife will let......errr, I mean....support my decision to buy a Harley. :up:

My wife would support your decision to buy ME a bike....close enough? :)

I welcome more riders on the road. Increases our overall visibility to other drivers. The course is well worth the time and money. Great foundation.

Pellisippi has the courses. I think it was $250 last time I looked into it.

It is a two day thing, they supply the bikes.

Passing the course lets you skip the written part of the exam and as mentioned, gives you a discount on your insurance.

I keep meaning to do it, but have never gotten around to it. My bike has just set for a year, waiting on me to do it.

In no way am I bashing anyone who takes such a course, but I can't help but be just a little surprised that so many grown men take a course to learn how to ride a motorcycle.

I know what you mean by that Trip, but after watching a few courses, and trying to teach a few people myself, I'm pretty well convinced of the value of the class. Seems some folks just need the structure to learn well and understand the dynamics.

I'm glad my wife went. She's a great rider now, but needed someone other than ME to run the handling drills with her. The only problem is, for awile she thought she knew everything. :rolleyes:

Plus, no road test AT the DMV is attractive too.

WALTER STTATE COMMUNTIY COLLEGE gives a course like this it was $115 a year ago when my wife took it.

In no way am I bashing anyone who takes such a course, but I can't help but be just a little surprised that so many grown men take a course to learn how to ride a motorcycle.

After talking to folks that have ridden for 30 years who then took the course, as experienced riders, who afterwards said what a great learning experience it was, yeah, I think it might be worth it.

I am a firm believer in proper training for whatever I am going to do.

Well, I dunno...

I was lucky to live through my first week with one at 20.

Just because I could ride it "well" didn't mean I could ride it sanely.

'Course you had to be a little nuts to even get on them Kawasaki two-stroke triples, in retrospect.

- OS

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

This is who I used to learn how to ride back in 2008. The instructors I had were very knowledgeable and kept the course fun. It was great to walk into the DOS with my MSF certificate and pay them the cash to add the M endorsement to my license. The MSF course standards are higher than the tests you would take at the DOS. That is why the DOS waves any testing when you wanna add the M endorsement to your license. I highly recommend the course, just be prepared to have a weekend taken up by the class. You will do just fine and make sure you show up to class with all the safety gear they tell you to have or you will be told to go home and you lose out on your money.

Guest clsutton21

It's not that I think I can't ride, it's a few reasons:

1) I don't have a bike to learn on.

2) No written test or driving test at the DMV.

3) The 10% insurance for going through a program.

Your post really didn't contribute at all to the conversation, but thanks anyway.

Guest TNCarters

Had the MSF with MidTenn last year at 55 for many of the reasons stated above. Another important reason for the course is to try and keep you safe from auto drivers that are not paying attention and make mistakes.

Best thing I did after the class was buy a small used bike and rode for a 1000 miles before trading up to a heavy cruiser.

When I took it (8 years or so ago) it wasn't that I didn't know how to ride, but I still very much a novice. So sort of killed two birds with one stone, got a little training and met the requirments to get my M license.

While I orginally thought the course was for those that have never sat on a bike....I have to say (at least in the course I took) that at least some knowledge and skill would be good before taking the class.