Why Won't the NRA Back a Third Party Candidate?

Guest SUNTZU

Guest SUNTZU

NRA Betrayal | Paul C. McKain for Congress (Florida, District 2)

Paul McKain is running for Congress in Florida and is a 2nd amendment supporter...but apparently the NRA doesn't care.

Today was an eye opener. I always hate it when I find an organization or business that turns out to be not what I had always thought them to be.

Make no mistake, I am the most ardent supporter of the Constitution and the 2nd amendment is not to be trifled with. My stance is unyielding. Yet today I was exposed to an organization that I thought was out to protect the 2nd amendment at all cost, only to find out that they are more interested in playing party politics. The organization you ask, it is the National Rifle Association.

Yes, the good old NRA. I am a long term member and contributor to their causes. Today I inquired about gaining their endorsement for my candidacy. Talking with Chuck Cunningham at the Federal Affairs Office, I was told that after the primaries, a questionnaire would be sent to the DEMOCRAT or REPUBLICAN that they thought had the best chance of winning. When asked if they would endorse a third party candidate for his stance on support of the 2nd amendment, the answer was absolutely NO.

We had a 15 – 20 minute discussion on why they would not support any candidate that supported their views and was told that they would only support 1 candidate per race. This I found to be both insulting and to be politically devastating to other candidates that support the constitution that without the NRA endorsement, voters would assume that they did not have a strong stance on the 2nd amendment.

I will be writing a letter to the president explaining that in this age of pending attacks on our 2nd amendment rights, this is not the time to carry on politics as usual. If a candidate is supporting the 2nd amendment rights of our citizenry, the NRA should acknowledge that fact instead of trying to pick winners in the political arena.

All third parties, Independent and Republicans in the 2nd congressional district can kiss the endorsement of the NRA goodbye. According to Chuck, he foresees the incumbent being the only candidate they will get behind in the congressional race. I hope the other 3 groups see that they are being discarded by the NRA and feel just as betrayed as I do!

Voters, keep in mind both in this election and all future elections, that you need to look at the candidates not the recommendation of the NRA, because they are not telling you the whole story.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU
Sour grapes on Paul's part?

No, probably not the reason. I also suggest looking into how happy many gunowners in Georgia are with the NRA right now after the NRA supported defeating legislation FOR gun rights.

Edited by SUNTZU

I agree with you in theory but I see their point as well .They will rally behind the candidate that our organization will have the most influence in helping to support our cause. Instead of being diversified behind any and all supporters of 2nd amendment rights they can focus all their efforts rallying voters towards one candidate.That is more effective in keeping our freedom in tact by helping to get 2nd amendment supporter into office .I don't see it as a politicized tactic but focusing all the organizations energy to where it can be the most productive . Its better to have one bird in the hand than two in the bush.

Guest HvyMtl

Um. I guess it is the same reason they backed a KNOWN ANTI-GUN Legislation writer last Presidential election. 05/01 Sens. McCain And Lieberman Introduce Anti-gun Monstrosity

And even still supported ending the "gun show loophole" during the election:

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/washington-whispers/2008/05/15/john-mccain-still-backs-closing-gun-show-loophole.html

Instead of pressing for gun rights, they compromise their effectiveness every time they back candidates who do not actually support the 2nd A.

Edited by HvyMtl
Guest Straight Shooter

How is this "sour grapes"? Its the truth. Ive been a member of the NRA since 1979, been to a couple conventions, and try to donate when possible.

That said, hell no I dont agree with all they say or do. IF the ultimate objective is to elect pro-gun candidates to political office...then ALL should be supported. The current two party system is nothing more than a street hustlers' shell game. Its a FARCE. Has been for a long time, and will continue to be.

Its CRAP like this why a lot of gunowners dont join NRA. But thats NO REASON not to join SOME pro-gun organization. Quite frankly...Im good and damn tired of carrying some of you gun owners water for you, while you reap the benefits others contribute to. As Ted Nugent told me one time, if YOU aint contributing to the NRA or some other pro-gun organization, "PISS ON YOU".

Guest 6.8 AR

The Tea Party has gotten behind independent conservative candidates. I wonder if they have gotten behind him. i liked what I read about him.

Guest SUNTZU
Until everyone who wants real change gets behind some independents there will be no change!

If there is no threat of gun control there is no need for the NRA. I still follow the dollars. They can't upset the back and forth balancing act, in my opinion.

"Why Won't the NRA Back a Third Party Candidate?"

Maybe a better question is, "Why Won't America Back Third Party Candidates?"

- OS

:rolleyes: Start your own thread, Mac. But I agree. Or make a complete changeover of both parties. I also want a million dollars while we're wishing.

Guest Straight Shooter

SUNTZU-

The NRA does MUCH more than getting invloved in gun legislation. Theyve been around since,what, 1890?! Looong before gun control became a political issue.

They train cops, military, ROTC, they teach firearms and range safety, they train instructors, ect. ect. And while I do somewhat agree MONEY plays a huge role in the pro-gun/anti-gun debate, AND have not agreed with all the NRA has done, they really have and do do a lot of good for shooters, hunters and firearms lovers. IMO-there will ALWAYS be a need for the NRA.

Guest HexHead

For starters, the membership has to stop electing directors from anti-gun states. They are imprinted with "common-sense gun regulation" regardless of how ardent supporters of the 2nd amendment they may seem.

Third party runs have a history of working against US. It never splits the opposition; it allows them to win with a less than desirable candidate. WE need to collectively have the common sense to have the third party candidate of our choice actually be the candidate in the two party system we have to keep our votes from splitting.

Good luck with that.

... our votes from splitting..

Have a mouse in your pocket?

You can forget Republican Party as being good for The Republic anymore, too.

If the Tea Party movement is to have any real lasting effect, it MUST foment (at least) a viable third party. Otherwise is will simply be absorbed and diluted into the biz-as-usual GOP.

- OS

Guest 6.8 AR
IT needs to absorb and delete the current GOP.

And that is historically what third parties do. Some people

haven't read their history, and they don't understand what

the Tea Party movement is trying to do. May be not their

stated goal, but that may be exactly what they do.

Probably for the same reason that they won't stop sending me credit card and insurance offers even when I repeatedly ask them not to; the NRA is all about $$$.

Like they can do anything without it?

- OS