Can I drill holes for clips in my leather holster?

I have an OWB leather holster that I want to drill holes in to install kydex clips (like the Comp-Tac ones) so that I can turn it into an IWB holster. Is there a trick to drilling holes in leather? Has anyone here ever done this?

This is a really nice holster and I don't want to screw it up. It sounds like a simple cut and dry thing.....but I thought I'd better ask first to be safe. If it's not as easy as I'm thinking it should be, I'll take it to my local leather repair shop and let them do it for me.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I occasionally drill holes in leather to make leather/kydex holsters - I use either a small drill press or antique push-drill. As long as the drill bit is sharp its pretty simple and easy.

Guest redbarron06

Just remimber that an OWB holster my not have the stiffness to stay open IWB and allow a reholster once you draw.

Just remimber that an OWB holster my not have the stiffness to stay open IWB and allow a reholster once you draw.

I wouldn't worry about that as much as the shape of the OWB holster. As I'm sure you know, Packin', the best IWB models have the belt clips or loops off the body of the main holster on additional leather panels, or "flaps". Also, the angle and depth of how it will ride will matter.

At any rate, if you want to make precise and easy holes in leather, borrow one of those rotating wheel punches somewhere:

leatherpunchosborne.jpg

- OS

I wouldn't worry about that as much as the shape of the OWB holster. As I'm sure you know, Packin', the best IWB models have the belt clips or loops off the body of the main holster on additional leather panels, or "flaps". Also, the angle and depth of how it will ride will matter.

At any rate, if you want to make precise and easy holes in leather, borrow one of those rotating wheel punches somewhere:

leatherpunchosborne.jpg

- OS

Northern Tool in Chattanooga had these on the clearance isle for less than 5 bucks a few days ago.

The holster I want to put holes in for clips is my K&D Eagle Defender that I had for sale on here. I thought I'd like it as an OWB, but it rides too high that way. The basic design of it is very much like the Thunderbird Defender, which is an OWB/IWB convertible. I have a Defender as well so I've compared the two together. My Eagle is a crossdraw cant and my Thunderbird is the traditional forward cant. After looking at the two of them together, it looks like I could drill two holes and put some Comp-Tac kydex clips on it and basically turn it into a Thunderbird with a crossdraw cant. This is my objective anyway.

I just wanted to know the best way to put holes in leather. I'd rather not have to buy a special tool to drill two holes if I can acheive it with my drill....but if a drill won't work I'll get the tool.

What do you guys think? Will this work? Here's a picture of the Eagle:

EagleDefender1.jpg

The holster I want to put holes in for clips is my K&D Eagle Defender that I had for sale on here. I thought I'd like it as an OWB, but it rides too high that way. The basic design of it is very much like the Thunderbird Defender, which is an OWB/IWB convertible. I have a Defender as well so I've compared the two together. My Eagle is a crossdraw cant and my Thunderbird is the traditional forward cant. After looking at the two of them together, it looks like I could drill two holes and put some Comp-Tac kydex clips on it and basically turn it into a Thunderbird with a crossdraw cant. This is my objective anyway.

I just wanted to know the best way to put holes in leather. I'd rather not have to buy a special tool to drill two holes if I can acheive it with my drill....but if a drill won't work I'll get the tool.

What do you guys think? Will this work? Here's a picture of the Eagle:

EagleDefender1.jpg

Man, I sure hate to see you drill holes in that beautiful holster, but, if you must, you must.

Just curious, what handgun does that holster fit?

It's for a Springfield EMP DaddyO.

And to GG: Kholster is nice and I have two of them for my Glocks, but Jimmy does not make a mold for the EMP yet. This thread isn't about what holster I should buy instead of this one. I've asked a particular question, and if you can't help me with that then you don't need to respond to this thread.

Well, I went ahead and used an awl to make the holes. They aren't the prettiest holes in the world, but they work perfectly and are completely covered when I put the kydex clips off of my Thunderbird Defender on them. It works exactly how I thought it would and I'm happy!

I had asked Kevin at K&D if he could make me a Thunderbird with a crossdraw cant and he said he couldn't due to the design. So I ordered the Eagle in crossdraw thinking it would work, but it seemed to ride too high and it made the grip of the gun stick out and print too much under my shirt. So, by doing what I just did, I basically made the OWB Eagle into an OWB/IWB Thunderbird with a crossdraw cant. The designs of the Eagle and the Thunderbird are very near the same.....I really don't know why Kevin said he couldn't make me a Thunderbird in crossdraw. When I have a little more time, I'll post some pics.

Guest K-Man
Well, I went ahead and used an awl to make the holes. They aren't the prettiest holes in the world, but they work perfectly and are completely covered when I put the kydex clips off of my Thunderbird Defender on them. It works exactly how I thought it would and I'm happy!

I had asked Kevin at K&D if he could make me a Thunderbird with a crossdraw cant and he said he couldn't due to the design. So I ordered the Eagle in crossdraw thinking it would work, but it seemed to ride too high and it made the grip of the gun stick out and print too much under my shirt. So, by doing what I just did, I basically made the OWB Eagle into an OWB/IWB Thunderbird with a crossdraw cant. The designs of the Eagle and the Thunderbird are very near the same.....I really don't know why Kevin said he couldn't make me a Thunderbird in crossdraw. When I have a little more time, I'll post some pics.

The reason I don't do the Thunderbird in a crossdraw version is because the placement of the clips interfere with the mold of the gun in the holster. In other words, you have limited motion with the clips for the cant adjustment. In order to overcome that, you would have to widen the overall size of the holster to give you the range of motion. I don't want my holsters to look or function like a huge albatross being worn on the waist.

In addition, we now offer an accessory set up wherein you can take virtually any slide on the belt style of OWB holster and convert it to an IWB holster.

Edited by K-Man
The reason I don't do the Thunderbird in a crossdraw version is because the placement of the clips interfere with the mold of the gun in the holster. In other words, you have limited motion with the clips for the cant adjustment. In order to overcome that, you would have to widen the overall size of the holster to give you the range of motion. I don't want my holsters to look or function like a huge albatross being worn on the waist.

In addition, we now offer an accessory set up wherein you can take virtually any slide on the belt style of OWB holster and convert it to an IWB holster.

I completely understand what you're talking about Kevin. Before I made the holes, I laid the clips off the Thunderbird onto the Eagle to see how much room I had for adjustment. There is plenty room for adjustment on the right (as your looking at the holster from the front), but not much room at all on the left. However, for me, that worked just fine. I do see why you wouldn't make them for people due to the lack of adjustment room on the left side.

This is a fine holster to begin with, as is all of K&D's holsters, belts, and accessories. I am extremely happy with this holster now though. It works just perfectly for me with the modifications that I made.

Here's some pics:

This is my Thunderbird next to the modded Eagle for comparison:

ThunderbirdandEagleMod.jpg

This is the modded Eagle up close:

EagleModwithEMP.jpg

Guest Caveman
I completely understand what you're talking about Kevin. Before I made the holes, I laid the clips off the Thunderbird onto the Eagle to see how much room I had for adjustment. There is plenty room for adjustment on the right (as your looking at the holster from the front), but not much room at all on the left. However, for me, that worked just fine. I do see why you wouldn't make them for people due to the lack of adjustment room on the left side.

This is a fine holster to begin with, as is all of K&D's holsters, belts, and accessories. I am extremely happy with this holster now though. It works just perfectly for me with the modifications that I made.

Here's some pics:

This is my Thunderbird next to the modded Eagle for comparison:

ThunderbirdandEagleMod.jpg

This is the modded Eagle up close:

EagleModwithEMP.jpg

Good job on the holster. I have to say, I love those grips. :up: