Looking for work...

Hey Guys, So I got laid off this past New Years Eve from my previous job of 4+yrs. I have been drawing on my unemployment since then, and have been keeping my eye open for something in the same field I have been to school for and was working in(CAD/Drafting). I have been to school and was working in this field, but it seems these jobs are few and far between at the moment...or just get snatched up to fast to find them. I was looking at my unemployment check today and realized that my unemployment is dwendling down and would really like to be able to obtain a good(descent) job before I have to deal with re-applying(if even possible) for this again.

Anyways, I was hoping some of my fellow TGO'ers may happen to know of any leads I may follow for a job or be able to help in anyway. I am not asking for handouts here or anything, just need some help finding a descent job. If anyone has ever been to Tazewell, they know there isn't much around here, so to find a descent paying job I am basically stuck either trying to find something in knoxville or possibly morristown. But if anyone happens to know of anything, I would appreciate it if you could let me know. Again, I would appreciate any help. Thanks

By the way....I know I can't really limit my choices down to just what I "want" to do, so I also have some basic knowledge of construction type work(I worked at the local building supply store and designed the roof & floor trusses and was frequently on job sites measuring, figuring, etc). I like to think I am also good as far as customer service goes, working with customers, etc. I have also dabbled with graphic design as well and I am fairly knowledgable with computers and the "basic" computer programs...and can usually catch on to new things fast as well. I would really be open to alot of "hands on" type jobs. Anyways, if you know of anything, Let me know. Thanks again.

Edited by Bubbatn
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like you might have to branch out brother, take a job you might not normally want to. right now jobs are tough to come by. If you really get desperate I could probably get you a job serving where I work. PM me if interested.

you could always join the military?

oh, and you might want to fix your post, it says you got laid this new years eve...

landscape is actually really good work for the summer...The best thing you could do Dustin is buy a mower and start mowing lawns, hell you already have a truck so if you got a trailer you could make BANK!!!

landscape is actually really good work for the summer...The best thing you could do Dustin is buy a mower and start mowing lawns, hell you already have a truck so if you got a trailer you could make BANK!!!

I wouldn't be opposed to start doing yardwork, however I don't really have the funds to buy the equipment needed to get started. Otherwise, I probably would've looked into the lawn business awhile ago...haha.

There's always call center work if you're not opposed to talking on the phone all day. Not fun, but the benefits are good and the pay is ok. I can PM you some details if you're interested in that. Knoxville area.

oh, and you might want to fix your post, it says you got laid this new years eve...

And even though times are tough, I don't think you want to settle for a "descent" job - unless you're interested in coal mining.

Seriously, though, wishing you all the luck in the world.

- OS

And even though times are tough, I don't think you want to settle for a "descent" job - unless you're interested in coal mining.

Haha, Ok....I'm no spelling scholar, but i'm really no "Bubba" either. ;)

Guest friesepferd

sorry i dont know of anything, but i highly suggest looking for whatever job you can get, and then keep looking for the job you want while you are working. doing any job is better then being on unemployment

Dude, there is plenty of recovery work to be done here in Nashville, right now. Construction companies are begging for workers. My suggestion is rent a little effeciency like Amerisuites and get to work in the Middle part of the state. May not be what you want but it's better than sitting around all day wondering what to do.

As far as the lawn care thing, pick up a cheap used mower and weed eater to get started. I was talking to a guy the other day who started doing lawns for extra money after he retired. For a regular middle class yard, he charges $20. He's much cheaper than the $40 to $50 competition, so he has business out the wazoo. You figure, it takes about an hour, maybe an hour and a half to do a yard. That means you can make up to $20 an hour CASH. After you spend a little $$ on gas, you're still not doing too bad.

Guest clownsdd

With your cad experience and experience with graphics, I would suggest you speak with your local sign shops, cabinet mfgs, fabrication places etc.

I'll second tntnixon - if you can do a travel gig, middle TN is short of labor for cleanup and demo, and WAY short of people who can rebuild. If you're amenable to short-term dislocation, I'll pass your info on to people I know in construction...I can't say whether or not it will help, since I don't know their situations, but I'd be happy to try. PM your resume or CV.

Guest Glock23ForMe

On the Lawn Care thing... One of my friends started a few years ago, bought (financed) two mowers and had a truck and trailer, got two of my other friends to help him. He did landscaping and mowing and stuff all summer until he was able to pay cash for both the mowers buy another truck and trailer and still pocket about 50k for the summer. He now has a HUGE business...

All I can give you is advice. I was trained in CAD. I made a few $$$ drawing house plans before taking a job with a TDOT engineering field office. It isn't drafting, but it is in the engineering field. It might be worth checking into for you. If I were going into the private sector right now, I'd be thinking about starting a seeding/ erosion control business. They are all covered up with work.

Guest jackdm3

I knew of a guy out of H.S. ('89) that did yard work and in two years he was bringing in $80,000/yr. If my condition allowed it, I'd do it too. No brainer work and the rain gives you time off to rest.

If anybody knows of anything in the Bellevue/Nashville area, I'd like to be made aware. I work for Dominos and my district manager was angry that I was "making excuses for not coming in to work" during the flooding. I'm not going to work for a man like this, so I want to find something, anything, as soon as possible. I don't have a college diploma, I'm working on a degree from NSCC, so it would need to be entry-level. If any police departments are hiring for civilian positions I'd like to do that.

I'm an Instrument technician with 40 years experience - out of work since end of shift last Monday morning. Passport, TWIC,TVTC, Respirator cards current.

Need work immediately to support coondogs and guns!

Looks like we need to set up a "classifieds" forum.

I asked TGO David about this earlier in the year, but I know he was busy and couldn't get it going then - maybe he could revisit the idea.

I'm at the point where I'll take anything that's full time within Nashville. Dominos is treating me like I comitted a felony because I was rear-ended. I've been "further suspended pending a Dominos investigation". Apparently the police report that said it was her fault and not mine isn't good enough for them. I've been told I'm also going to receive a write up. This company disgusts me. Their behavoir and treatment of store level employees is disgusting. I want to get out ASAP. If anybody sees any single sign that says help wanted/now hiring PLEASE let me know.

I'm at the point where I'll take anything that's full time within Nashville. Dominos is treating me like I comitted a felony because I was rear-ended. I've been "further suspended pending a Dominos investigation". Apparently the police report that said it was her fault and not mine isn't good enough for them. I've been told I'm also going to receive a write up. This company disgusts me. Their behavoir and treatment of store level employees is disgusting. I want to get out ASAP. If anybody sees any single sign that says help wanted/now hiring PLEASE let me know.

Best I can do right now is order a pizza from Papa Johns. ;)

Guest Sgt. Joe
Dude, there is plenty of recovery work to be done here in Nashville, right now. Construction companies are begging for workers. My suggestion is rent a little effeciency like Amerisuites and get to work in the Middle part of the state. May not be what you want but it's better than sitting around all day wondering what to do.

I have not read all the replies her but I feel that I should add to this one.

I use to be in the construction and insurance repair business and would be in middle TN if that was the case now. A lot (not all) of these companies coming in to do work are really good sized construction companies and may well could pick you up part time and then work you into a full time employee. Some of them also are large enough that they may have a position in the CAD field that you want.

You may have to move in such a case but not always. I would certainly look into it though and even state on your apps and resume that you are looking for a company to "stay" with if possible.

Having been there, done that I know apps like that get a closer look, and then of course you have to prove yourself with the grunt stuff to start with. I know of dozens of folks who have taken disaster relief type jobs and ended up staying with the company for years.

Of course the travel and moving must be an option for you in order to stay with most of the companies, but I am sure some local ones are also involved.

Just a thought I figured I would throw your way. If this was 10 years ago I would be looking for help, but since it isnt that is all I have to offer, I sure dont need to tell anyone that any jobs are tough to find these days.

The clean-up/repair stuff going on right now is the best option IMO, I wish I could still do it.

On a side note if anyone knows of any of those "call center" jobs in the Jackson area please let me know.