Remodeled Walmart. No ammo?

The Walmart near me (South Knoxville) is undergoing a major remodel. I was in the other night and they have reset the sporting goods department. I was shocked to see that the counter area was very small. NO ammo. It was late and there was no one around to ask,but it looks bad ::eek::cry::koolaid:.Glenn

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be surprised to see no ammo. Some have it, some don't. When I lived in the Tri-Cities, the "new" walmart in Johnson City didn't have rifles or ammo. On a more positive note, the walmart on 411 in Maryville had more ammo on the shelves last week than I've seen in ages. Still no .45 tho... :koolaid:

The Walmart in Cordova (part of Memphis) remodeled a little while ago. They took the ammo from behind the counter and put it in a lockable stand alone display nearby. Like Bubba0031 said, there may still be hope.

Guest Broomhead

The Wal-Mart in West Nashville is undergoing the same remodel. They have moved around the Sporting Goods aisles, but they still have the display case and lock-up case for ammo, for now anyway. I hope they don't get rid of the ammo.

The Walmart near me (South Knoxville) is undergoing a major remodel. I was in the other night and they have reset the sporting goods department. I was shocked to see that the counter area was very small. NO ammo. It was late and there was no one around to ask,but it looks bad ::eek::cry::koolaid:.Glenn

I was over there last week and bought some CCI but that whole wal-mart looks bad...they were almost out of the Curly's BBQ also. The guy who helped me said that it would take a bit but they would get the sporting goods up and running again and they did have a whole bunch of ammo still stocked up. I dont think they are plannin on quitting ammo sales anytime soon.

Guest 70below

A member on here was telling me he was there (South Knoxville Wal-Mart) the other day with no ammo present, he asked a clerk about it and they told him they were remodeling and it was in the back until they were finished. The clerk asked him what he needed and went and got it for him out of the back.

Guest friesepferd
I wouldn't be surprised to see no ammo. Some have it, some don't. When I lived in the Tri-Cities, the "new" walmart in Johnson City didn't have rifles or ammo. On a more positive note, the walmart on 411 in Maryville had more ammo on the shelves last week than I've seen in ages. Still no .45 tho... :koolaid:

which one? both the wallmarts in JC here have ammo.

I was in the Ooltewah/Collegedale Walmart a week and a half ago, and it looked like they had removed all handgun ammo. It used to be in a locked case behind the sales counter, but it's gone. All I saw on a nearby shelf was shotgun ammo.

Guest friesepferd
The one out 11E toward Jonesborough. It had just opened when I moved.

huh... well it certainly has ammo now!

It is in somewhat of an odd location in the middle of the store though.

When the Lenoir City Walmart recently remodeled they moved the Sporting Goods department to a different spot in the store. They also moved the ammo from behind the counter and put it in a locking stand-alone case in a regular aisle in the Sporting Goods department, at the end of the aisle where the rifle slings, scopes, etc. are. Thing is, when the ammo shortage really got going, they moved the ammo down to half that case and put the pocket knives, multitools, etc. in the other half. They also pretty much ruined the store, in general. They built this huge store just a few years back but with the remodel they cut some of the shelves down to half shelves (supposedly for 'security' reasons) and now don't have as much stock. They also got rid of some things, entirely (for instance, they don't sell fabric, anymore), reduced the size of the Sporting Goods department (which was already smaller than WM Sporting Goods departments used to be) and the electronics department is now a sad and sorry excuse for an electronics department.

False alarm. I went back today and talked to someone in sporting goods. They are just waiting for the locking glass case to get there. Ammo is just put away for now. Actually got 100 9mm and 100 45. :wall::D

glenn

Guest tarheel78

At Turkey Creek WM this morning. They actually had a full shelf, lots of calibers, tons of .223, even .45ACP value packs. That Swiss 9mm overpriced stuff is not selling well. They had one ValuPak of 9mm WWB left (now mine). The clerk said they got in the .45 VPs in last night (5 boxes), this am down to two. Lots of overpriced Rem .223 green box 55gr stuff. Not exactly jumping off the shelf however. Lots of .40, some .32, tons of .22; best stocking situation in quite a while.

Guest SUNTZU

There are two versions of the sporting goods floorplans according to the Walker Springs assistant manager. One is for "city" Walmarts that sell no guns and little ammo, and "country" Walmarts that sell both guns and ammo. The stores with both guns and ammo get the priority on ammunition shipments. This is what I was told by an assistant manager of a Walmart store, I am not a Walmart executive, so it could be a load of fecal matter.

Guest SUNTZU
Did he go on to explain why Walker Springs still has the "Country" layout when it is a no gun selling "City" store?

Are they about to rearrange things there?

No, he just asked for your number cause you're the "cute guy who sometimes comes to the counter in a dress." I wasn't conducting an interview, he just decided to let me know as I was asking the regular sales clerk about .45 acp ammo back during "the Troubles" of the ammunition shortage. :taunt:

No, he just asked for your number cause you're the "cute guy who sometimes comes to the counter in a dress." I wasn't conducting an interview, he just decided to let me know as I was asking the regular sales clerk about .45 acp ammo back during "the Troubles" of the ammunition shortage. :P

That grouchy old dude ain't my style. I assumed you had this interaction today during one of your raiding parties. Their shelves were sagging last night, ;) overloaded with every caliber possible, except 380 and the freakin' 22 mag I was looking for.

Guest SUNTZU
That grouchy old dude ain't my style. I assumed you had this interaction today during one of your raiding parties. Their shelves were sagging last night, ;) overloaded with every caliber possible, except 380 and the freakin' 22 mag I was looking for.

:P Figured you'd enjoy that. No, this was a long time ago.

Guest Bluemax
A member on here was telling me he was there (South Knoxville Wal-Mart) the other day with no ammo present, he asked a clerk about it and they told him they were remodeling and it was in the back until they were finished. The clerk asked him what he needed and went and got it for him out of the back.

Told me same thing

There are two versions of the sporting goods floorplans according to the Walker Springs assistant manager. One is for "city" Walmarts that sell no guns and little ammo, and "country" Walmarts that sell both guns and ammo. The stores with both guns and ammo get the priority on ammunition shipments. This is what I was told by an assistant manager of a Walmart store, I am not a Walmart executive, so it could be a load of fecal matter.

The way it was explained to me is that some stores are considered 'hunting' stores while some aren't (this was from the Sporting Goods guy at the Turkey Creek store.) He said that only a certain number of stores in an area will be 'hunting stores' and still sell firearms. Probably means the same thing but makes a little more sense, to me, than 'country' and 'city' as the Madisonville store no longer sells firearms and hasn't for a couple of years (other than muzzleloaders, sometimes) while the Athens and Lenoir City stores do. Hard to get a much more 'country' location of Walmart than Madisonville. Of course, the monkey wrench in all this is that, although the Madisonville store hasn't sold firearms in some time, they still have a much larger ammo section (behind the counter) than the Lenoir City store (which does sell firearms) and generally seem to receive more ammo. Also, this past weekend, the Maryville Walmart on 411, which doesn't sell firearms, had Winchester PDX1 ammo in .40 and .45acp. I bought a box of .38 +P PDX1 there a couple of weeks ago. I've only ever seen the .40 at the Lenoir City store and they haven't even had it in quite some time.

I have heard from other Walmart employees that selling firearms or not is sort of reflective of the general strategy that Walmart is going with, now. Some stores will sell firearms and most others in their area won't. Some stores will, for instance, still have a fabric section in the craft department while the others in their area won't - and so on.

Edited by JAB
Guest SUNTZU
The way it was explained to me is that some stores are considered 'hunting' stores while some aren't (this was from the Sporting Goods guy at the Turkey Creek store.) He said that only a certain number of stores in an area will be 'hunting stores' and still sell firearms. Probably means the same thing but makes a little more sense, to me, than 'country' and 'city' as the Madisonville store no longer sells firearms and hasn't for a couple of years (other than muzzleloaders, sometimes) while the Athens store does. Hard to get a much more 'country' location of Walmart than Madisonville. Of course, the monkey wrench in all this is that, although the Madisonville store hasn't sold firearms in some time, they still have a much larger ammo section (behind the counter) than the Lenoir City store (which does sell firearms) and generally seem to receive more ammo.

I have heard from other Walmart employees that selling firearms or not is sort of reflective of the general strategy that Walmart is going with, now. Some stores will sell firearms and most others in their area won't. Some stores will, for instance, still have a fabric section in the craft department while the others in their area won't - and so on.

Works for me. :D And you're right about Madisonville. Is there anything to eat here other than the Mexican restaurant and a couple of fast food joints? I ate at Bert's once. I had a burger. I do like hockey but not enough to eat a puck.