Help me find this bridge

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first two photos show a flat horizontal railroad bridge. The third photo shows a bridge that rises from the bank to a higher point above the water, and is not a railroad bridge. But the style of construction is similar. So, I think there are two different bridges here.

All I know is TN. It is where a friend's ashes have been laid. We hated each other in the beginning then became the best of friends. I loved the man more than my own brother or father. He and I went through a lot while overseas, some good and some bad. He was from Florida but loved TN so much he was going to move here.

Unfortunately he was killed overseas in April, 2009. Had I not been in my helicopter accident a year earlier there would have been a good chance I would have been with him, possibly suffering the same fate. Because I was out of the loop I didn't know he had been killed so I missed his funeral and the spreading of his ashes. Working with people who go overses you don't worry or think anything is out of the ordinary if the person does not answer their phone for a month or two at a time.

I just need to go by there and say my goodbyes.

Dolomite

Guest Catdaddy

It could be anywhere, but it looks a lot like a bridge over the Buffalo river we used to jump of of when on canoeing trips with the Scouts. In the area of Birdsong, TN- the guys at Camp Mack Morris will know where it's at- but as I said, it could be anywhere, and I could be wrong. That was a long time ago and I am old and forgetful.

Best of luck on finding the spot. But you can talk to your friend any time anywhere, if you know what I mean.

It looks like the old iron bridge over the Obed River near Wartburg Tenn

If you are referring to the bridge on Catoosa Rd. that's not it. I don't know where this bridge is, but I would like to go there.

Edited by BrasilNuts
It could be anywhere, but it looks a lot like a bridge over the Buffalo river we used to jump of of when on canoeing trips with the Scouts. In the area of Birdsong, TN- the guys at Camp Mack Morris will know where it's at- but as I said, it could be anywhere, and I could be wrong. That was a long time ago and I am old and forgetful.

Best of luck on finding the spot. But you can talk to your friend any time anywhere, if you know what I mean.

That's what I was thinking too. Made several trips down the Buffalo from Grimes Canoe Base with our troop. We used to stop around the bridge to get out and cool off in the water.

Guest stovepipe

Went through my old scout picts... It's is similar to the bridge seen on the Grimes Canoe Base trips, but not the same.

Your first two photos seem to show railroad ties. It may be the Tennessee Central Railroad (now Nashville & Eastern) bridge over the Caney Fork River. Unlike many railroad bridges, it is easy to get close to this one, as there is an I-40 rest area just down stream. The river water may rise suddenly if they open the spillway or turn on the geneerator in the upstream dam.

Historic Bridges of the U.S. | Caney Fork River

Tennessee bridges in general...

Historic Bridges of the U.S. | Tennessee

Your first two photos seem to show railroad ties. It may be the Tennessee Central Railroad (now Nashville & Eastern) bridge over the Caney Fork River. Unlike many railroad bridges, it is easy to get close to this one, as there is an I-40 rest area just down stream. The river water may rise suddenly if they open the spillway or turn on the geneerator in the upstream dam.

Historic Bridges of the U.S. | Caney Fork River

Tennessee bridges in general...

Historic Bridges of the U.S. | Tennessee

I was thinking the same thing. I have pics of that bridge somewhere but can't find them at the moment.

Guest JavaGuy

The bridge posted by MacGyver is very similar, but the banks shown are very different. It could just be the difference in the perspective the shots were taken from..

When I saw the pictures, I thought it looked like the bridge on the Caney Fork by the Buffalo Valley rest stop in I-40. That's the one railfancwb and Verne are talking about.

Went for a ride this morning up on HWY70 and jumped over and grabbed a pic of the bridge. Sorry for the not so great pic but I was sitting on I-40 bridge in full leather with a helmet on. Maybe that is a shooting style (pic) I need to practice more.

IMG_1867.jpg

Hope this helps. If this is the bridge you are looking for I know my way around it as I have used it in several picture series I have done.

Verne

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly
http://bridgehunter.com/photos/12/23/122313-L.jpg

This one is in Cocke County.

If that's not it, check out that bridgehunter site. It has a gallery of all the "old" bridges in Tennessee. That one looked the most like the bridge you were looking for.

Cool site you found there.

I'm fairly certain the bridge in this photo is the western bridge at an area we on the NS call "Twin Bridges." It's right on the NC/TN border, spanning the French Broad, and the eastern bridge is included in the photo section to which you've linked. The two bridges are very close to one another.

It's hard to tell if I've got the right bridge from the angle of the photos. Everything looks different from a locomotive.

I am going to call his family and friends to hopefully get a location. I have never spoke to them before. Hopefully my friend got around to the part where we became good friends. Most who knew us both still believe we were still at eachother's throats.

I can honestly say I am a better person for knowing him. The day I found out he died was, without a doubt, one of my worst ones. It is easier now but I still think about him regularly.

Dolomite