77 members have voted

1. 1. Which 22 Rim Fire Rifle

• Ruger 10/22
    • Marlin 795 flavor

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10/22 - I got my first one in 1983 and it shot well out of the box. Even if you don't plan to customize, the urge may hit someday. You can't beat the aftermarket support for the 10/22.

dsptarget.jpg

Guest smileyguy

I have a 795. It's a nice shooter, but I wish I had got the Ruger. The Marlin mags are expensive and there are no hi cap mags.

In your situation, buying 3 on a budget, the Marlin is considerably cheaper. Mine was $130 before a $30 rebate, and I'm guessing you probably don't need a bunch of extra mags or hi cap mags for plinking with the kids.

The ruger ussually goes for $250+.

The ruger ussually goes for $250+.

Ruger 10/22 carbine with wood stock is still about $205 or so at WallyWorld.

It went up from $197 about 4 months ago.

Dick's has them for about $219 and Gander for $229.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest smileyguy
Ruger 10/22 carbine with wood stock is still about $205 or so at WallyWorld.

It went up from $197 about 4 months ago.

Dick's has them for about $219 and Gander for $229.

- OS

I frequent Gander and I never see them that cheap. I guess they're out of the base model when I go in. They usually have bull barrel or other gizmos. I usually see them for around $270 even over $300. I guessed $250 because I know Gander is over priced. Have seen them cheaper online, but figure in shipping/transfer and you're back at about $250.

Good to know about Wally world. The ones near me don't sell guns any more. May have to stop at the Wally world in Oak Ridge after work and see what they got. Thanks.

I frequent Gander and I never see them that cheap. I guess they're out of the base model when I go in. They usually have bull barrel or other gizmos. I usually see them for around $270 even over $300. I guessed $250 because I know Gander is over priced. Have seen them cheaper online, but figure in shipping/transfer and you're back at about $250.

Good to know about Wally world. The ones near me don't sell guns any more. May have to stop at the Wally world in Oak Ridge after work and see what they got. Thanks.

Yeah, I only see the basic carbine at Gander once in a while. Had a ton of them around xmas.

Knox Walmarts that generally seem to have one, East Town (Knoxville Crossing), Clinton Hwy, and sometimes the one in Halls, although they don't have as many guns in general.

The one at East Town usually has Mini 14 also, $617.

Dick's has had them I think every time I've ever been in there, but about $10-15 more than Wallys.

- OS

I do quite a bit of work on .22s and have had 5 or 6 10/22s and only have one 795 derivative, the Papoose. According to a guy who builds aftermarket 10/22 barrels he told me that the 795 barrel is the more accurate rifle than a stock 10/22 barrel. However, he said the 795 (mag fed) is easier to keep running well than the tube fed model 60 Marlin. I dunno. I've fixed a couple of older Mdl 60s and they seem to run well. Either of the two is minute of squirrel head at 35 yards. Although at this moment I have several mag fed .22s, including Marlin, Ruger and CZ, I like tube fed guns that have the tube protected. Here is my favorite, a Mossberg 151M semi auto. It is tube fed through the stock and was made approx 1947. It is near mint. I picked it up a few weeks ago for 220.00. That is a Weaver B4 with RA Litchert 2x magnifier - cool factor is off the charts and shoots into a dime at 50 yards with bulk ammo.

Mossberg151WB4wRALitchert2X.jpg

..... Here is my favorite, a Mossberg 151M semi auto. It is tube fed through the stock and was made approx 1947. It is near mint. I picked it up a few weeks ago for 220.00. That is a Weaver B4 with RA Litchert 2x magnifier - cool factor is off the charts and shoots into a dime at 50 yards with bulk ammo.

Mossberg151WB4wRALitchert2X.jpg

What a stellar rifle and what a deal to find it for that price, too!

I never even knew there was a tube fed model that had the tube inside a stock, truly nifty!

- OS

Here is my favorite, a Mossberg 151M semi auto. It is tube fed through the stock and was made approx 1947. It is near mint. I picked it up a few weeks ago for 220.00. That is a Weaver B4 with RA Litchert 2x magnifier - cool factor is off the charts and shoots into a dime at 50 yards with bulk ammo.

Now THAT is a cool 22 rifle. :rock:

Does anyone here have any knowledge or experience with Henry lever action .22s?

not much to them. Mine is the basic carbine, model H001 I think. Shoots great with iron sights. The lever action is smooth as melted butter. Piece of cake to strip and maintain.