House overrides veto on SB3012!!

I wonder what the LEO's on the street are hearing about how they should enforce the new law.

I understand that you talked with Rep. Todd but it just makes me wonder if anyone really knows for sure. Sec. of State's office isn't exactly like asking someone who slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TNReb
I wonder what the LEO's on the street are hearing about how they should enforce the new law.

I understand that you talked with Rep. Todd but it just makes me wonder if anyone really knows for sure. Sec. of State's office isn't exactly like asking someone who slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

I can tell you this guys. I had lunch with Nikki Goeser on Saturday and she had been with Senator Doug Jackson, the sponsor, right after the veto was overridden and he told her it was effective immediately. I think Curry Todd was correct in that the override had to be signed by both speakers and engrossed on the records of the legislature to be effective--just like it had to be signed by both, engrossed and sent to the governor on passage.

I believe that the person at the Sec. Of State's Office is absolutely WRONG that it doesn't go into effect until July 1 since that is the date on the original bill. That, quite simply, is ludicrous. I posted the bill as amended on another thread and it very clearly says by Amendment 1 that the bill takes effect "upon becoming law." The constitution says it becomes law when the veto is overridden. And believe me, just because someone is a clerk in the Secretary of State's Office doesn't mean they know anything about the law. So I believe it is now effective and I personally have no problem with carrying according to the new law right now. Wait if you like, but I certainly don't think you have to wait until July 1 just because a drone in a state office says so.

Just my :) worth, which may be :P or may be right. Who knows? :x:

Guest TNReb

This was posted by a LEO on another thread:

Well like another guy said, if they have anything anti, just have an unarmed member of your group give the front door person one of the cards that say you will be eating elsewhere.

Then go somewhere else. Problem solved.

I am just waiting for me to get the first dispatch to remove a HCP individual from a posted business. I love officer discretion.:P

Hope his is the prevailing attitude! :)

I can tell you this guys. I had lunch with Nikki Goeser on Saturday and she had been with Senator Doug Jackson, the sponsor, right after the veto was overridden and he told her it was effective immediately. I think Curry Todd was correct in that the override had to be signed by both speakers and engrossed on the records of the legislature to be effective--just like it had to be signed by both, engrossed and sent to the governor on passage.

Even your own statement is confusing, at least to me. You first stated that...

1) Senator Doug Jackson, the sponsor, right after the veto was overridden and he told her it was effective immediately.

So Sen. Jackson is right.

But then you said

2) I think Curry Todd was correct in that the override had to be signed by both speakers and engrossed on the records of the legislature to be effective--just like it had to be signed by both, engrossed and sent to the governor on passage.

So Rep. Curry Todd is right.

?????????????

Originally Posted by db99wj viewpost.gif

I just got off the phone with Rep Todd, nice guy by the way, and the bill has to be engrossed by the engrossing clerk with all the required signatures, then it will go into effect, it doesn't have to wait until a later date, but we do have to wait until this process is complete, which will be next week.

DO NOT CARRY YET.

Also, Rep Todd believes that the lawsuit by the restaurant folks will go no where.

I posted this back on post #128. Here it is again.

Whooops.:):blush::P:blush::x:

I just watched Channel 4 at 6 and they said it would go into effect July 1st. I was shocked as I thought it would be effective this week. Who can get us a real answer on this??

Sounds like Richard at the Secretary of State's office is spreading his ignorance.....

Guys, I can't find any law that requires the Sec of State to do anything to a bill for it to become effective... Or have a public chapter # to be effective... Unless somebody can find a law or house rule that requires it, according to the state constitution the law went into effect the minute the house passed the bill and entered the vote into their records. Honestly, I seriously doubt there is such a rule or law, because it would allow the executive branch to slow down bills or even halt bills that the legislature has passed and would otherwise be legally in effect...

After watching hours and hours of the legislature, it's possible but I seriously doubt it.

I believe Senator Jackson is correct the law went into effect at approx 10pm Friday night.

The news papers and the statement from the Sec of States office appear to be clearly mis-informed... The July 1st date is for sure wrong as I read the amendments to the bill.

Well was just listening to Cam & Co. Cam had Doug and Heidi Keesling (NRA) on. Heidi said it had to get a number assigned, this week. Doug did not interject. So, not sure what to make of it. I'm waiting for the number to get assigned.

Guest db99wj

My take is that the engroser engrossed it thus giving it a number to become filed and official. Like a notarized document. It is not official until signed and notarized. Before that, it is just a piece of paper. This is just my thinking from a notary standpoint. I'm a notary.;)

Guest friesepferd

wow. this situation is actually very sad.

some confusion on whether it was friday or sometime this week--- alright, wish it was more clear and someone could point to an obvious here it is answer, but im hoping nobody gets made and in trouble during this one week, i doubt it- but still obviously a problem.

now when news people and the secretary say july 1? now thats just crappy, cuz it isnt. its very clearly NOT july1. News and other officials saying that can be bad (ei, cops sayin ur illegal when ur not. ick).

I dont eat out during the week anyways, and obviously stay concealed (i certainly do not suggest OCing at applebees tonight, or anytime before july 1 really).

really wish i could finder some harder evidance that points one way or the other, other than just one senator said so, or this is what ur interpritation of being on the books was. urg.

Heres a wild idea. Let's get a state constitutional amendment though that says all laws must be written like an Opp Order! 5 paragraphs in plain friggen language.......

Oh wait we keep electing lawyers who still think they get paid by the word and know if they leave the wording confusing enough most of they're buddies will make fortunes in court getting "clarity" to what could have been written in plain english in the first place.

Ok done with rant, carry on.

My nastygram to my douchebag representative:

Rep. Kent Coleman:

"I want to express my disappointment in your "Nay" vote to over-ride the Governor's veto of SB3012. The voting memebers of my family living in your district will be sure to return the favor when you are up for re-election."

Well since Doug Henry was deleting so many of your emails, I resent mine and changed the subject to "It would be nice if you read this before deleting".

I guess that it worked. He read it and actually replied to it. That is the first time for that. EVER!!!

Of course I'm not surprised at his feeble answer.

Dear Mr. Volzfan: Thank you for your e-mail. I have fired a pistol since infancy, fired a 105 millimeter howitzer in the Army, belong to the NRA and am a vigorous supporter of the passages in both the Tennessee and Federal Constitutions declaring the right of the people to bear arms.

Concerning the bill you mentioned, I do not know why anybody goes to a bar except to drink and it does not make sense to me for one who is drinking to be carrying a gun.

Douglas Henry

Guest TNReb
Even your own statement is confusing, at least to me. You first stated that...

1) Senator Doug Jackson, the sponsor, right after the veto was overridden and he told her it was effective immediately.

So Sen. Jackson is right.

But then you said

2) I think Curry Todd was correct in that the override had to be signed by both speakers and engrossed on the records of the legislature to be effective--just like it had to be signed by both, engrossed and sent to the governor on passage.

So Rep. Curry Todd is right.

?????????????

Well, I am an attorney, so confusing people comes naturally to me! :D

I usually get myself in deeper when I try to explain, but here goes anyway. In the first instance, I was just saying that one of the sponsors was saying the law went into effect immediately. The other sponsor, with whom I agree, was saying it went into effect when signed and engrossed. I was just trying to say that it was my belief that the law became effective when the override was signed and put on the record of both houses of the legislature, and not on July 1 or when assigned a number by the Sec. Of State. I am just as unsure as everyone else if I am right or not, but I am just going with my interpretation. I do not fault anyone if they think differently and since I always CC, I don't intend to put the question of when it goes into effect to the test. As I said, I recognize that my opinion is probably :confused:, and I will add that it is worth every penny you paid for it! I am reminded of the story of the man who interviewed 3 lawyers. He asked each one, "How much is 2+2?" The first immediately said, "4." The second said, "Well, that depends. I will need to research it and get back to you." The one he hired said, "How much do you want it to be?" ;)

Guest TNReb
Well since Doug Henry was deleting so many of your emails, I resent mine and changed the subject to "It would be nice if you read this before deleting".

I guess that it worked. He read it and actually replied to it. That is the first time for that. EVER!!!

Wow! I am impressed both with your ingenuity and the fact that you got that old fart to respond. You may have just accomplished something no one else ever has! Congrats! :confused:

Guest TNReb
My nastygram to my douchebag representative:

Rep. Kent Coleman:

"I want to express my disappointment in your "Nay" vote to over-ride the Governor's veto of SB3012. The voting memebers of my family living in your district will be sure to return the favor when you are up for re-election."

Two thumbs up! :confused::up:

Doug Henry has his head up his butt. He needs to change jobs. We should help.

Well, I am an attorney, so confusing people comes naturally to me! :D

I usually get myself in deeper when I try to explain, but here goes anyway. In the first instance, I was just saying that one of the sponsors was saying the law went into effect immediately. The other sponsor, with whom I agree, was saying it went into effect when signed and engrossed. I was just trying to say that it was my belief that the law became effective when the override was signed and put on the record of both houses of the legislature, and not on July 1 or when assigned a number by the Sec. Of State. I am just as unsure as everyone else if I am right or not, but I am just going with my interpretation. I do not fault anyone if they think differently and since I always CC, I don't intend to put the question of when it goes into effect to the test. As I said, I recognize that my opinion is probably :confused:, and I will add that it is worth every penny you paid for it! I am reminded of the story of the man who interviewed 3 lawyers. He asked each one, "How much is 2+2?" The first immediately said, "4." The second said, "Well, that depends. I will need to research it and get back to you." The one he hired said, "How much do you want it to be?" ;)

2afzses.jpg2afzses.jpg

TNReb, I'm inclined to agree with you on when it actually goes into effect. Thanks for the clarification! :D

Doug Henry has his head up his butt. He needs to change jobs. We should help.

I am going to do everything that I can to unseat the old coot. I have been in contact with James Chesser who is running against him. His website is James Chesser for Tennessee Senate - District 21 | Home

I believe that the other opponent is Steve Dickerson.

I hope that someone can beat Henry. He has a lot of support over in W. Nashville.

Heres a wild idea. Let's get a state constitutional amendment though that says all laws must be written like an Opp Order! 5 paragraphs in plain friggen language.......

An excellent common-sense idea...which means, of course, that it will never happen.

"Those who like sausage and respect the law shouldn't watch either one being made."