Camping trip ruined by rednecks

Guest grays

Guest grays

I was just looking for some opinion about a situation I had last night while trying to camp.

Last night just before dark me and a buddy hit the lake to go camping, we were going to just get in my boat with our stuff and camp out on one of the points of the lake instead or going to a campground. So we get to our spot out in the middle of nowhere and setup our tents and begin to cut some fire wood. Then we see 2 kayaks coming our way with 5 people pilled on them. Instantly we knew they were trouble and trash, they were talking about drugs, moonshine, and being high just your typical redneck. Keep in mind we are one a random point on the main creek channel of the lake. They proceed to jump off of their kayaks and come up into our camp area right beside me and my buddy and among all our gear and tents. I can tell they are drunk or high and imo looking for trouble. At this point my gun is showing because I shed the shirt to cut wood and one of them asks me if im a cop or something. I said na and took a few steps back away from these guys cause I had no clue why they were there and what they might do. After hanging around our tents for maybe 10-15 minutes one of them made a comment about how that area was theirs and how they are there every day and his buddy whispered "he has a gun" and they left. Long story short our camping trip was over. I've always heard to just avoid trouble by leaving if you can so we packed our crap up in the dark and left. I just figured something would be missing in the morning from my boat or the camp site.

Edited by grays
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

I'd say you did the right thing. I certainly wouldn't have stuck around. Who knows if they weren't going to get some more drunk buddies to come back and "reclaim" their area.

Guest db99wj

Absolutely did the right thing. Avoid dumbasses whenever possible is a good moto to live by!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest grays
Ya'll did the right thing. IMHO

Did you guy's find another spot to salvage the camping trip for the night?

Nope we went back to the ramp took put everything back in my truck and just fished for a little while. It kinda just put a damper on the entire night really. TBH im glad my gun was showing in that situation because it think it deter them for sure. Not to mention my friend was holding a big ass axe lol.

You did the right thing. When my Boy Scout troop were out camping, back then we camped a lot on private land, I would always have them recon the area. It was called "Beer cans and bullet holes." If we found any of these, we would find another location to set camp. It is also impolite and dangerous to walk up to someones camp without hailing the camp first. A friendly "Hello in the camp!" will do. It is also polite to ask before entering the camp and don't stay too long unless you are envited to. Some people don't want stangers in their camp others welcome folks who are polite and friendly.

I've been thinking about devising some kind of thing that holds a shotgun shell (with the shot removed) has a firing pin and a trip wire placed across the trail, just to warn about yahoos like this. I back country camp a lot, and am a pretty sound sleeper. I'm not worried about critters messing with me, but I do about crazies.

I'm just not sure about the legalities of a blank shot shell going off in a place like a National Forest.

I'm just not sure about the legalities of a blank shot shell going off in a place like a National Forest.

i think you already know the answer to your question. Aside from discharging the thing what if it hit someone?

OP you did good.

This is why I generally encircle my camping spot with claymores. Drunk hillbillies come knocking, just smack the plunger twice. Hilarity ensues.

:)

usmc_improvised_claymore_mine.jpg

(just kidding) (or am I?)

That's SO 1970's!!!

Dave, I have to introduce you to some different, more automated ED's!

like "toe poppers" and one of my favorites, the bouncing Betty...

they're fully automated. You don't even have to wake up.

also, there's a way to set up the Claymore's so that they go off on a tripwire as well.

why interrupt good sack time for idiots??

I've been thinking about devising some kind of thing that holds a shotgun shell (with the shot removed) has a firing pin and a trip wire placed across the trail, just to warn about yahoos like this. I back country camp a lot, and am a pretty sound sleeper. I'm not worried about critters messing with me, but I do about crazies.

I wouldn't bother... you can find a little electric alarm trip wire device on the internet for $10-$15 which will work just as well..

Guest Eagle One

I think you did the right thing. I have not been on line for a couple of weeks as we have been camping ourselves for the past two weeks. We travel in a 5th. wheel camper but I still pay attention to our surroundings and to the other campers in the campground. Even in Natchez Trace State Park there are some shady looking characters wandering around. We have two little girls and they need protecting.

Guest Glock23ForMe

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.... I think you did the opposite of what you should have done...

JK. I Just got tired of the first words in every post being, "I think you did the right thing."

Guest mikedwood

Biglots usually has some window alarms that make a shrill siren sound. Would probably work more legally. Like $5.00 for 4.

I would strongly advise caution when making improvised devises with ammunition. It could be misconstrued as an explosive and you would find yourself in the middle of a hell storm regardless of your intent (SNAFU). You can reach the objective using a squib firecracker and fishing line. You can purchase these at any firecracker store, and sometimes grocery stores will sell them. Party popers will work too.

Guest Bronker
This is why I generally encircle my camping spot with claymores. Drunk hillbillies come knocking, just smack the plunger twice. Hilarity ensues.

:)

usmc_improvised_claymore_mine.jpg

(just kidding) (or am I?)

Awesome!

I would have probably asked them if they had a beer I could get from 'em, or offered them one if I had one and invited them to sit around and bs for a while. Sadly it never seems to take me very long to bond with trash like that :), so I'm sure I would have felt comfortable knowing they wouldn't bother my stuff after they left.

Actually though I think you did the right thing by leaving, I just didn't want to say it in the first part of my reply. Years ago I want camping with some friends of mine in a remote area kind of like what you're talking about, and when we were gathering up firewood we came across a small marijuana crop. We never did see anyone else in the area, but it definately gives you an uneasy feeling being in that kind of situation. Because of that I never camp anywhere anymore unless I know the area and what type of people I might run into while there.