GLOCK questions

I’m thinking of getting a Glock. I’ve read the Glock threads here and I’ve researched a little and I understand the basic differences between the different generations of Glocks. I understand 1st generation, 2nd gen and 3rd gen variations. I’m not sure what the 4th generation is. Can someone illuminate me?

My next question is that other than physical size, is there a substantial difference between Standard, Compact and Subcompact? I mean, is the only difference between the 17, 19 and 26 (or 22, 23, and 27) is the length of the barrel and the length of the grip or is there a difference in the mechanical function? There is only about an ounce difference in weight between each of the variations. Would this make a substantial difference in the recoil?

Also, does anyone have the Compensated version and is it for show or does it make a difference in the recoil? Can you compare the compensated to the non-compensated and honestly tell a difference in the recoil?

Is there a specific model or variation of Glock to avoid? I read the thread related to the Glock 22. I’m not buying that, but is there, for instance, a first generation .40 cal that’s just a bad gun? What are the secrets to getting a good Glock? Are used LEO trade-ins generally good guns or something to avoid?

I welcome all advice. Not really interested in the debate between stopping power of 9mm versus .40 or .45, but I'm happy to read them. At this point, not interested in Sig, S&W, etc. is better than Glock debate either, but I'm happy to read those too, never know when you might learn something.

Educate me oh wise ones.:rolleyes:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU

If its for carry, avoid the compensated, in my opinion. Bright flash, yes it helps with recoil, if recoil is that bad, workout or shoot more til its not.

The Gen 4 guns have a new spring system that is being used. I shot a Gen 4 G19. Noticeable recoil reduction and on target much faster. Not all parts are interchangeable with previous Gens. Some don't like the stippling. The grip felt smaller. I don't have specs, go Google.

Yes, there are standard differences between Standard, Compact, and Subcompact. Google. The G19 (compact) is one of the most widely carried Glocks.

The early versions of G22's had an issue with not covering enough of the casing so that led to catastrophe. Numerous articles on the internet.

LEO trade ins are okay. Glocks are easy to rebuild.

What I "know"... 4th gen has the new rough texture grip; cool, but I'm so-so on it. All Glocks function the same, mechanically; it's just a size difference. Don't know about compensated, never tried one. Personally, I don't like the 21-36 variants. Haven't tried a 30. The 21 is too big for my hand, the 36 is too small for the .45 round, IMO only.

There was a run of Glocks that had the rails put in incorrectly, and recalled. Don't remember the serial # range, but I did have one.

Guest KimberChick
Why avoid the compensated for carry? The risk of getting lint/dirt in the barrel?

If you had to use it at night you'd basically be blinded after one shot.

I think the only problem with a LEO trade in is that they are usually shot to death before they are traded in. You can easily replace the springs and barrel if you need over time, but you might as well pick up a new or a gently used Glock from the forum here. You get what you pay for.

As far as problems with models, I have heard that the g30 has had a lot of problems. I had one and really liked it and regret selling it.

I would go with a 3rd gen. It has a better feel than previous generations and has a rail. I still think the 4th gen needs a little more time to prove itself.

If you ever had to fire from the hip or close to your body in anyways you might catch on fire. :rolleyes::shrug:

YIKES!!! I obviously didn't think of these things. Thats why I posed the questions. Thanks. I'm learning all kinds of things.

Guest FiddleDog

As far as the gen 3s are concerned, the subs have a dual spring, whereas the compact and service sizes (19 and 17 in 9mm, for example) have a single spring. I haven't really noticed a big difference between them in recoil, but it seems a bit less snappy for the sub. Also, the shorter length on the barrel has translated to easier pointability, for me. Follow up shots are easier, and getting on target seems faster. While, I think that the longer barrels themselves are supposed to be more accurate than the shorter barrels (all things considered), I find that I am more accurate using the sub. Also, the RTF and RTF2 frames are awesome for grip stability, but will take off 2-3 layers of back skin in you chose to IWB. Ouch.

The early versions of G22's had an issue with not covering enough of the casing so that led to catastrophe. Numerous articles on the internet.
To elaborate, all .40 cal. Glock barrels have a small, crescent-shaped cutout on the bottom-rear of the chamber. This is an intentional design feature that is supposed to aid in feeding reliability. The caveat, however, is that a tiny portion of the casing is not supported by the chamber walls when the gun is in battery, which has led to catastrophic malfunction with overcharged handloads a time or two...(or three, or eleventy bagillion, depending upon whom you want to believe). If you shoot only jacketed factory ammunition, you've got nothing to worry about. If you want to roll your own and try to reach the moon--or even shoot unjacketed lead--then there are a number of companies that make excellent aftermarket barrels with fully-supported chambers.
I think the only problem with a LEO trade in is that they are usually shot to death before they are traded in. You can easily replace the springs and barrel if you need over time, but you might as well pick up a new or a gently used Glock from the forum here. You get what you pay for.
Actually, depending on where the trade-ins came from, many have hardly been shot AT ALL. My very first Glock was a Gen. 3 G22 from the Knox Co. Sheriff's Office. The bore was PERFECT, the night sights were BRIGHT, and there was still plenty of copper lube from the factory in the slide. There are plenty of like-new trade-ins out there at great prices, if you're willing to look for them.

Not to pick a fight, but how many people who caution against compensated models have actually fired them at night, or in low light settings? In my experience the flash, while noticeable, is certainly not bright enough to "blind" you. I also very seriously doubt that the quick flash, when fired from the hip, would be enough to ignite clothing... unless it it HIGHLY flammable.

I think the major concern for compensated models would be possible dirt or obstructions working into the barrel if not regularly cleaned, although this would probably not be a factor if the weapon is kept holstered. They are a bit louder too. They do have a noticeable affect on recoil and it is much easier to stay on target with follow up shots and rapid fire.

As far as problems with models, I have heard that the g30 has had a lot of problems. I had one and really liked it and regret selling it.

I would go with a 3rd gen. It has a better feel than previous generations and has a rail. I still think the 4th gen needs a little more time to prove itself.

Most of the LEO trade in guns I've seen actually seemed to have pretty clean internals. Most duty guns are not shot as frequently as you think, not to mention Glocks can handle 10s of thousands of rounds without worry. Replace the recoil spring if you are really worried, the barrels are fine. They just see a LOT of holster time, and therefore the wear is usually cosmetic and on the exterior. This is not a problem with Glocks tennifer. Police trade in G22's at $350 are a GREAT DEAL. Show me another quality, proven, uber-reliable service/combat pistol for that price.

Guest cheez

LEO trades are fine. I have had three of them and all three shot as well as any new Glock I have. Only problem with the LEO trades that I have seen is the finish is not as nice and the night sites are usually dim. Really if you want pretty you should look to other guns besides Glock. If you want a gun that goes bang EVERY time you squeeze the trigger then Glock is for you.

Guest The Highlander

I'd happily buy a LEO trade-in for the right price. You can't hurt a Glock (or most other name brands for that matter). I own a compensated weapon, and yes it moderates recoil. It is also "brighter" when fired at dusk or in the dark. The flash "size" doesn't seem much different to me, but more of it goes up in front of my eyes instead of out away from me. That is purely subjective however, and different ammo has a totally different flash pattern anyway. Like the LEO guns, I'd happily take one for the right price.

The 9mm's are cheaper to shoot and recoil less, especially in the full-size G17 and most especially in the target size G34, which also adds adjustable sights.

I REALLY recommend you join the GSSF (Glock Sport Shooting Foundation) even before buying a Glock. You can actually recoup more than the cost of membership with the member purchase discount.

And then go to a GSSF match or three. They are great fun, and a great place to learn to shoot your Glock. You also get free Glock Armorer service of your weapon, the ability to attend Glock Armorer's Class yourself, and the ability to purchase weapons from the CMP program (like M1 Garands!).

Check it out, and please keep asking questions!

The Highlander

Guest KimberChick
Not to pick a fight, but how many people who caution against compensated models have actually fired them at night, or in low light settings? In my experience the flash, while noticeable, is certainly not bright enough to "blind" you. I also very seriously doubt that the quick flash, when fired from the hip, would be enough to ignite clothing... unless it it HIGHLY flammable.

I think the major concern for compensated models would be possible dirt or obstructions working into the barrel if not regularly cleaned, although this would probably not be a factor if the weapon is kept holstered. They are a bit louder too. They do have a noticeable affect on recoil and it is much easier to stay on target with follow up shots and rapid fire.

I suppose the flash might depend on your chosen load. Blindness from where you end up pulling the trigger. From the hip, probably not. Present in front and fire and you might have a bit of an issue. From personal experience, it doesn't take much of a flash in a low-light situation to have me seeing stars. Hence my statement. Individual results may vary.

People who think they will be blinded or catch their clothes on fire from hip firing do not have a clue when it comes to Glock "C" Models.

Ignorance isn't always bliss.

We carried 21C's at the sheriff's office in Oklahoma and never had a problem with it during night fire or tucked in firing. I have probably put 1K of .45ACP down range with the 21C I was issued as well as watching other deputies fire and didn't see an issue or hear of one from other deputies.

Just another stupid internet rumor spread by the ignorant.

+1 on the LEO trade in's. I've had a couple as well and except for some holster wear, they have been great. And for what it's worth, I have a G22 and find it great. However, my favorite at this time is the G30--a great little powehouse in 45. Light, accurate, and not a problem since I got it here from a fellow member.

Guest SUNTZU
People who think they will be blinded or catch their clothes on fire from hip firing do not have a clue when it comes to Glock "C" Models.

Ignorance isn't always bliss.

We carried 21C's at the sheriff's office in Oklahoma and never had a problem with it during night fire or tucked in firing. I have probably put 1K of .45ACP down range with the 21C I was issued as well as watching other deputies fire and didn't see an issue or hear of one from other deputies.

Just another stupid internet rumor spread by the ignorant.

So you would recommend them to someone as their personal defense weapon? I would think that hot gases from that propellant might be a bit warm with just a T-shirt. Maybe its different with a polyester uniform shirt over soft body armor. I wouldn't want to talk bad about the omniscient, though. :D I will admit that I haven't seen it happen, but flames and T-shirts don't mix, IMO. YMMV.

Guest Glock23ForMe

I regularly soak my clothes in gasoline before I go to the range to shoot my G19C. Sometime I even shoot it sideways, gangsta style right next to my gasoline soaked T-Shirt. :shrug: I wouldn't worry about being blinded, burned, or getting set on fire, provided that you don't soak yourself in gasoline, due to all the adrenaline that'll be going through your body, even if you're at the range. There's still adrenaline. IMO

So you would recommend them to someone as their personal defense weapon? I would think that hot gases from that propellant might be a bit warm with just a T-shirt. Maybe its different with a polyester uniform shirt over soft body armor. I wouldn't want to talk bad about the omniscient, though. :shrug: I will admit that I haven't seen it happen, but flames and T-shirts don't mix, IMO. YMMV.

We didn't wear body armor and polyester uniform shirts at the range. Heck the shirts would melt if that was an issue.

You apparently are just believing the uninformed hype about the C models.

It is not an issue and would be perfectly fine for a carry pistol. The flames do not "shoot out" like some people think.

Try one sometime.

Guest SUNTZU
I regularly soak my clothes in gasoline before I go to the range to shoot my G19C. Sometime I even shoot it sideways, gangsta style right next to my gasoline soaked T-Shirt. :shrug: I wouldn't worry about being blinded, burned, or getting set on fire, provided that you don't soak yourself in gasoline, due to all the adrenaline that'll be going through your body, even if you're at the range. There's still adrenaline. IMO

stfuppercut4.gif:D

We didn't wear body armor and polyester uniform shirts at the range. Heck the shirts would melt if that was an issue.

You apparently are just believing the uninformed hype about the C models.

It is not an issue and would be perfectly fine for a carry pistol. The flames do not "shoot out" like some people think.

Try one sometime.

That's why I was asking the question. No need to propagate the myth. I've shot one before and have seen the flames. Based on that, I figured it would be a tad warm. I'll stick with the standard version. But to answer the OP's question, either way is fine, apparently.