First gun question

Guest Filipino.Cowboy

Guest smileyguy
I would also suggest starting with full sized and working down to small for concealed carry.

I agree. Full size are a little easier to shoot. Longer sight radius is easier to shoot accurately, and more weight absorbs some recoil.

Glocks are good guns (although I perfer XDs, better grip angle). IMHO, I think striker fired "DAO" pistols are good for HD and novice shooters. No thumb safties to fool around with in a stressfull situation (just keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire) and a consistent trigger pull. Goes along with the old KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle, but if you find that you like SA/DA or S/A, that's fine too.

Also, keep your wife in mind. Make sure she can handle the caliber, manipulate the slide, and that it fits her hand as well. My girlfriend had trouble racking my 45 when it was brand new, but she shoots it pretty good. On the other hand, she never had a problem racking the slide on my 9, and she LOVES shooting it.

edit: Don't rule out a good old fashion revolver. I know semis are a lot cooler, but its hard to beat the reliablity of a revolver. I keep a 12gauge pump and a 357 on the ready for HD while my semis sit in the safe. My girlfriend is hell with the 12 gauge and shoots the handguns well, but she's not as good with the whole tap it and rack it drill.

Edited by smileyguy
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest clownsdd

"but i'll probably take it to the range every now and then." You need to take it enough to be proficient and comfortable with, whatever you decide.

I like my Glock 27 in .40 for around town. I have a Keltec 9mm I carry when I travel.

Hi all! I've been looking around here for a few days now and like what I see! I am looking at buying my first gun in the next few months and was wondering your opinion. I want a handgun for home defense, but i'll probably take it to the range every now and then. I've been looking at a Glock 17/19, or Glock 22/23. Not sure if I want the normal or compact yet, or if I want a 9mm or .40. It doesn't have to be a Glock though. That's just what I've been looking at. As far as price goes I've seen those for around 400-500 new. So that's about my top price (the wife won't justify spending more :yum:). Thanks for the input!

You, sir, are a lucky man! My first HD gun was a Hi-Point C9 ($150 NIB). It isn't nearly as bad as folks say it is, but that's all I could afford at the time and was better than nothing.

When you get out to look at guns, ask to hold a CZ P-01 and I bet you'll like the ergonomics. If you like the Glocks, CZ also makes a P-07 Duty that is polymer that has the same feel as the P-01, but it sells for about $425. Personally, I prefer steel or alloy, but to each his own.

If you find yourself heading toward La Vergne/Mt. Juliet some weekend before you buy, send me a PM the day before. I'd gladly let you test drive my CZ P-01. I think it's that good.

Guest friesepferd

for a home defense gun, look into the XD(m). The 9mm version holds 19+1 rounds. Stick a light on it and you have the perfect home defense pistol IMO.

If you havnt seen them, they are very similar to the glock, but with a grip safety (which is VERY easy to engage) and a different grip angle (closer to a 1911, way nice IMO).

very reliable, very accurate, very very nice

Guest bkelm18
You, sir, are a lucky man! My first HD gun was a Hi-Point C9 ($150 NIB). It isn't nearly as bad as folks say it is, but that's all I could afford at the time and was better than nothing.

When you get out to look at guns, ask to hold a CZ P-01 and I bet you'll like the ergonomics. If you like the Glocks, CZ also makes a P-07 Duty that is polymer that has the same feel as the P-01, but it sells for about $425. Personally, I prefer steel or alloy, but to each his own.

If you find yourself heading toward La Vergne/Mt. Juliet some weekend before you buy, send me a PM the day before. I'd gladly let you test drive my CZ P-01. I think it's that good.

The P-01 is a damn fine pistol. As is anything else from CZ.

• 3 months later...
Guest NashvegasMatt
me personally I would go with .40 but a 9mm is good to I guess its all personal preferance and if you want something like a glock but not as expensive smith and wesson sigma models they have them in 9mm and .40 although its not a glock it is still a very dependable on! I own one and haven't had a single problem!

thats where i started, and for the price its a good gun. no complaints here.

Guest Filipino.Cowboy

Haha, actually I don't yet. Some things set me back, but it's looking like the beginning of January I'll have my gun, night sights, and weapon light/laser. After going to the range (just once, will go again) and testing out a Glock 17, and Springfield XD9 4.5, I pretty sure i'm going with the XD. The grip felt a lot better to me, as well as I like its looks better.

Cowboy,

You can hardly go wrong with a Glock 19. Everyone has their favorite pistol but the Glock 19 is the gold standard of pistols. If you decide in the future that you want something else, the Glock 19 will sell quickly and you'll get a good price. I own Glock 19 and it's a great little gun. Accurate, reliable and fast shootin'.

Since you are a Phillipino Cowboy you might want to get an old fashion six shooter. They make them in the 30 caliber carbine round. The 30 caliber carbine was the preffered weapon of the brave, tough, hard fighting Phillipine soldiers that drove the Japanese out during World War Two. My father said that "Pound for pound the Phillipine soldier was the toughest soldier I ever saw." He fought the Japs, North Koreans and the Red Chinese.

Edited by Will Carry

By most accounts, the XD line is as durable as a Glock. Both are solid choices. I chose a .40 XD over a Glock as my first handgun because of the (to me) more natural grip angle and the 1911-style grip safety. The grip safety gave me more peace of mind as a novice. Now that I've been shooting/carrying for a little while, that's not such a big deal, but it did factor into my decision making for the first purchase.

Edited by monkeylizard
For a weapon light I really like the Streamlight products. I have one of these and it is BRIGHT! Very affordable as well.

Streamlight TLR3 LED Weaponlight IN STOCK and ready to ship!

As far as night sights goes, I have no idea. I'm trying to figure out what to get as well. I hear good things about the Tru-Glow TFO sights.

Erik is quite right about Streamlight products being top quality. I have one and it is great if I need to light up a room in a jiff!

On to the question of your gun. Many people will try to lure you into this debate of 9 vs. 40 for your first pistol. In terms of defensive loadings, 9mm has many terrefic offerings that are more than capeable of putting a bad guy down. The same holds true with .40. It's important to remember that the caliber you choose is completely pointless if you cannot achieve good shot placement. Given that, I would advise a 9mm.

First, 9mm is cheaper to shoot, given that you will be able to practice a whole lot more.

Second, 9mm is softer recoiling than .40, which will help you become a better shot through training.

Third, 9mm is easy to find, after all, it is the NATO round.

Fourth, 9mm is physically a bit smaller than .40, so that will afford you an extra round or two in your mag.

HOWEVER, if you can afford to shoot .40, which hits just a bit harder, and will make just a bit bigger hole (not my much though depending on your loadings in 9mm), then I say go for it if that is what you want.

Ultimately, get to a range and try them both for yourself. Many ranges will wave the rental fee if you buy one the same day. Just pay for your ammo.

Lastly remember that either one is a very effective round, and in a Glock, you have an amazing and very reliable handgun.

Myself, I have a Glock 17 and 26. The 26 I bought with factory night sights, which I like a whole lot. Consider if you get night sights that are not factory; the warranty, and how likely are they to get caught on your holster (which could damage them).

You described this as *your* first gun, but if you plan to have Mrs. Cowboy learn to shoot it too, be sure to let her shoot the ones you're evaluating. You may find that she doesn't like shooting _________ and therefore won't. for the blank you can fill in "caliber", "manufacturer/model", "semi-auto", "revolver", "full-size", "compact", "double-stack mags", etc.

Mrs. 'lizard hates to shoot my XD .40 subcompact. But she likes a full size Taurus PT-92 (fake Beretta 92FS) in 9mm because it has much less felt recoil. She also likes her Walther P-22 because the grips are very thin and she can hold it better than either of the two mentioned above.

I guess the shortened version of this is buy what you want, as long as she doesn't hate it. She doesn't have to love it, but if it's difficult or downright painful for her to shoot, she won't. If she's not going to be shooting, then nevermind....carry on.

Here's comes the heresy.

If this is truly your first firearm, get a .22. It's not sexy, it's not going to 'wow' your buddies, and it won't make you look like a stud. But, still your first firearm should be a .22.

As a new shooter, you will need to do a lot of practice. With the .22, this is affordable without getting you wife upset. Second, the .22 is something you will ALWAYS end up taking to the range. You can use it to train yourself, teach others, plink at cans, destroy pests if you are in the country, and don't discount it's self-defense ability. It will be the most versatile pistol you will own. Lastly, a .22 is fun! This is important as you should enjoy your range time. And your wife should be able to have a pistol she will enjoy also.

If you learn to shoot the .22 well, you will have no trouble taking those skills to larger caliber firearms. Those who learn on .40s and .45s often pick up bad habits that are really hard to break. A good-quality .22 pistol will last virtually forever and be a real treasure for your kids.

Here's comes the heresy.

If this is truly your first firearm, get a .22. It's not sexy, it's not going to 'wow' your buddies, and it won't make you look like a stud. But, still your first firearm should be a .22.

As a new shooter, you will need to do a lot of practice. With the .22, this is affordable without getting you wife upset. Second, the .22 is something you will ALWAYS end up taking to the range. You can use it to train yourself, teach others, plink at cans, destroy pests if you are in the country, and don't discount it's self-defense ability. It will be the most versatile pistol you will own. Lastly, a .22 is fun! This is important as you should enjoy your range time. And your wife should be able to have a pistol she will enjoy also.

If you learn to shoot the .22 well, you will have no trouble taking those skills to larger caliber firearms. Those who learn on .40s and .45s often pick up bad habits that are really hard to break. A good-quality .22 pistol will last virtually forever and be a real treasure for your kids.

Well said!

I am pretty new, but I'm learning fast. I can tell you by PERSONAL EXPERIENCE -- now, today -- that every word in the above quote is absolutely true and reliable. I am going through the "learning curve" involving the transition from the 22 to the 40. It is a "fun" experience to make the smooth growth from little friendly 22 to the more powerful 40. Things you learn and have fun with are things remembered the longest.... and most accurately.