What is your fastest handgun to draw and fire?

I practice drawing and firing an unloaded handgun in various concealed carry configurations. I have seen on You-tube videos that you have about 1.5 seconds to react to a threat. Of the guns I carry (Glock 36, M85, Colt 1991A, S&W model 36, DB380) there is one pistol that beats the rest hands down. The lowly, old school, 5 shot, Smith and Wesson model 36 Chiefs Special. I took my pistols to the range and got permission to draw and fire. I was surprised that this old revolver was faster than any gun I carry at drawing and putting 5 rounds on target. I carry this pistol on my right hip IWB.

I think it's the small grips that make it easier to grap and pull and the light weight.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Arko

My goal is consistency. I can draw and put the front sight of my 1911 on the target faster than anything else. why? Not sure, but since it works, it's what I carry. I love my wife's 6 shot Detective special, and I do draw fast with it, but beyond a few yards I really have to study the sight picture. She on the other hand can poin t shoot it out to 30 yards all day long.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I have found my SR9c to be the fastest to draw and put on target but I am also sure that is only because it is the one I practice with the most. The longest time is getting the P238 out of my pocket.

Now when seated in the van the the full size SR9 in the rigged up van holster is pretty much like having it already in my hand.

Kahr in my pocket is as quick as my XD from IWB.

If I already have hand IN pocket, in a hmm situation, MUCH quicker.

That's one big advantage of pocket carry, in that if something raises your hackles, you can slip hand in there without attracting any attention and be ready in a flash.

- OS

I can draw as quick with my G19 as I can my G26. The G26 clears the CompTac MTAC holster faster but is a little harder to hold on to as to where it's the opposite on the G19. These are my carry weapons therefore the only ones I've ever practiced with.

Guest Moody

I can draw and target with my M&P45 faster than any other gun that I own, but that's probably because it's my EDC and workhorse, and I'm so used to it that I can do anything with it, with my eyes closed, practically. Secondly, I would say that my Springfield 1911 with Novaks on it would be a close one.

I tell ya. My 1911 is my favorite pistol for so many reasons. The only thing is, as you draw the 1911 you have to release the saftey as you draw. Semi-auto pistols were designed to have the ammo in the grip, the handle. Revolver grips were designed to fit the hand. In a quick draw contest, the revolver has the advantage. This may be the only advantage that I can give to the revolver for self defense. The revolver fits the hand, it is easy to grab and pull. They point well. If I were going to get into an old fashioned Hollywood western shootout. I would choose the lowely, outdated, DA revolver. I did not come to this conclusion easily, but after many hours of practice I still carry an old fashioned, antiquated, antique handgun. I just cannot accepted that my Glocks, Springfields, Colts and Sigs are left at home. (Or maybe not.....depends on the threat) :D

My Glock 19 is my fastest out of the holster. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that it is what I practice with most, and have carried the most/longest. I would think the holster you use probably has a big effect on that as well. I carry in a Don Hume pancake type holster. I think it's the best holster I've ever used.

TK47

Semi-auto pistols were designed to have the ammo in the grip, the handle. Revolver grips were designed to fit the hand. In a quick draw contest, the revolver has the advantage. This may be the only advantage that I can give to the revolver for self defense. The revolver fits the hand, it is easy to grab and pull. They point well.

Personal preference and I wouldn't agree. I have always shot semis faster and more accurate than revolvers. Semis also fit my hand much better.

To the OP, G19 or 4.25" 1911...which ever one I've been shooting more at the time (last several years it would be the G19).

Edited by TN-popo
Guest Luckyshot

Magnum Research Baby Eagle Sub-compact .45. Its the pistol I have spent the most time practicing with. The barrel length is short enough to make clearing the holster a breeze. Plus it has a very crisp double action pull keeping me on target with the first round.

XD-40 subcompact - I can present from concealment and put 2 shots to the thoracic cavity in 1.5 seconds up to 10 yards away consistently.

I can usually do the same at 15, but sometimes I rush for the second shot and it's off a bit. I need to dry practice more to keep that consistent smooth trigger control.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DanE479

Whichever gun is in my holster at the time.

There's a lot that factors into draw stroke. If it's an immediate action situation, I roll strong side only. It's the fastest way to get that gun into the fight. I train for mostly close encounters (sub 7 yards), so I do a lot of one handed work.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guy N. Cognito

Glock 19. From a concealed strong side IWB holster my mean time from buzzer to first shot is about 1.2 sec, scoring COM hits at 7 yards. On a good day, I can squeeze off three shots COM in slightly over 2 seconds.