Pepsi Throwback question

Ok, This is going to be very Odd.

I am wondering if anyone lives around any stores that still sell Pepsi Throwback.

Here is the reason why.

1. A Several months back when It was available, I tried it and I could not tell the difference between it and the other pepsi. I have drank pepsi since I was a kid.

Anyways, a 2 months back I started some new Medicine to prevent /reduce migraines. I am happy to report the medicine has greatly reduced my migraines. However, I have noticed all Soda tastes funny, actually so bad I can't drink them.

The only thing I have found that tastes bad is soda.

My wife suggested it might be the sweeter they use in soda now, the corn syrup.

So I want to see if I can find of the Throw backs made with real sugar to see for sure.

Btw, when I started the medicine, it did not make me want to quit drinking soda, I just gave it up at the same time as my doctor told me to lose some weight. Then after about a month I had one and noticed it tasted bad and thought it was the restaurant, then I tried one at home , different brand and found it tasted the same.

I have so far tried several kinds and they all taste the same.

If I don't find a Pepsi Throw Back so place, I will just go to food city and buy a couple Mexican Soda's that are made with real sugar, however it just won't be as true of a test.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

Don't even get me started on this! We talked about this around the superbowl. Talked about taste, carbonation and AVAILABILITY. They said get it while it lasts. "Limited Time Offer" and all that BS, because of the current movement away from high fructose corn syrup. I was getting the Mt. Dews and though it didn't have as much kick where I bought it, I'd rather get Thrownback for the sugar. We'll probably expect it to come and go and come again like the McRib.

I'm a soda connoisseur, over any other drinks. I had to search for Mexi-cokes and found them at Sam's, but because no one would help deplete the stock, probably because of the high price of the glass versions, they just sat and went stale/flat. You know this not just on taste but the psst of opening one. The Mexi-cokes had 50 or 60% potency of the corn syrup kind. If you find the same, try finding some at a latino store if they rotate stock quickly.

Edited by jackdm3

You might try looking the ethnic section of a local supermarket.

I was looking for key lime juice the other day at my local Kroger and saw real sugar Coca-Cola in a glass bottle on the shelf.

Be prepared to pay a premium price though. I think the Coke was $1.35 for a ten- or twelve-ounce bottle.

Our Food city has a small mexican section I know they have some soda but not coke or pepsi. But I am going to try theirs. It might be good.

BTW, the Medicines effect on my taste seems to be limited to soda, so I am not going to give up the medicine. I now have 2 effective ways to fight my migraines.

BTW I don't like the so called classic coke but I used to like the real orignal coke I bet I would like Mexican coke. I am well aware of the differences.

Longneck drinks.

Look for 7up, RC Cola, A&W Rootbeer, Sundrop, Cheerwine, all the Nehis. If they are in the clear bottles with little labels, they are High Fructose Corn Syrup. However, if they are in the short colored glass bottles, they are made with Sugar. Real Honest Sugar.

I don't know what the distribution facility in Nashville carries, I could call and ask, but odds are good it is the sugar stuff.

Longnecks are considered a 'premium' drink, and as such are produced with sugar. All Snapple (diets excluded) are produced with Sugar.

Nearly anything in a can or a plastic bottle is going to have HFCS in it.

BTW, I am in beverage distribution, betcha can't guess who for. :)

I can say this, the medicine did not effect the taste of food or beer.

Poweraid, GratorAid, snapple, all those taste normal.

I am pretty sure something changed with me and I can't take HFCS any more.

AS said, Kroger has the mexican version of coke. Also, if there is a whole foods store near you I think all of their soft drinks are made with cane sugar. A little more pricey but they sure taste good...

I can say this, the medicine did not effect the taste of food or beer.

Poweraid, GratorAid, snapple, all those taste normal.

I am pretty sure something changed with me and I can't take HFCS any more.

Pretty sure Gatorade and Powerade both have HFCS.

I did see an ad for Dr. Pepper being made with sugar thru September for their 125th anniversary.

TNFlyer, you are correct,

Just checked and the Poweraid does, the Low Cal G2 Gatoraid does not, but I know I can also drink the normal Gatoraid.

My wife got into the other Mexican Soda, (not the coke) and I tasted it and it was ok.

I would not let her open the coke, I told her I wanted it to chill until tomorrow, so I could try it with no ice. I put my foot down on this one.

I was never a fan of Jones Soda.

What med. is it?

The Med is the Generic of Topamax. It is mainly for anti-seizures , but my doctor gave it to me to try for Off Label use for migraines. (to try to prevent them)

I don't have seizures and with stigma that can be associated with them in certain situations, (such as driving) I don't want people to be confused as to why I take that medicine.

It is like Medic lets me donate blood with it as long as I take it to prevent migraines but if I was taking it to prevent seizures I would not be allowed to donate.

So I have to explain it to them now when I donate.

BTW, Update, the MEXICAN COKE, was drinkable. If I liked Coke I could really drink those.

Edited by vontar
Guest jackdm3

I was gonna say, "Bet the Throwback is old stock and probably weak", but I found them talking about another batch from April 20 to June 13, and then again a another batch from July 31 for 5 weeks. If you want the freshest, wait a few weeks.

+1 I haven't had a Jones Soda in a while, but they are good.

Vontar, you might just not like the sodas any more. I quit drinking them a while back (for the most part anyway) and now I don't like them much at all. I've just come to realize how sweet, syrupy and - to me - nasty they taste. Maybe this is a sign to drink more beer. Who knows?

krogers sells real cokes made with sugar in the ethnic isle.

Yup, I found 7 at my Kogers the other day, I can actually drink them. However they are pricy.

Seems Coke and Pepsi should notice people are willing to pay a little more for real sugar taste by now. They could put both in the stores and see which sells out.

• 4 weeks later...