what's the oddest thing you own?

thank Jamie for the thread idea.

So what oddball stuff do you all have?

I am racking my feeble brain to come up with something, best I can do so far is a piece of petrified wood (not store bought), a football sized pine cone, and an old insulator for electric lines.

I will try to do pics later tonight.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a small shoulder bag that I got from an Iraqi soldier in Kuwait during the Gulf War. (He did not need it anymore). Also have a wooden bowl that a friend made for me out of the pallet my tool box was shipped from the factory on.

Guest jackdm3

The only thing noteable is a "dug" Civil War bayonet that can only lead you to wonder if or how many it's gone through.

A 20oz Ball pein hammer.

Sounds innocuous enough, but I have absolutely no idea where it came from. It honest to goodness just turned up in my tool chest one day. It's very old, worn & beaten, the handle is bent. I never borrow or lend tools & practically no-one had ever been in my shop.

It's just a mystery.

Guest Jamie

Well, let's see if y'all think any of this is odd or unusual:

Already posted this one... various fossils and nick-nacks. The .50 cal rounds have a headstamp of 1943.

OddThings0001.jpg

Military items from WWI, WWII, and Vietnam. I don't have anything from the Korean war, though I did have relatives that fought in it. The bayonet is from a Japanese sniper who wasn't quite up to par. My 2nd cousin has the rifle it belongs to. Said rifle has a bullet scar in the stock... which amounts to a failing grade for said sniper.

Militaryitems-3wars.jpg

Knives from Vietnam... Made by the Montanards from jeep springs, tent poles, shell casings, etc.

Large_knives-S.jpg

Coins from east and west Germany, along with one from the Philippines during WWII, and a couple of odd-ball U.S. commemorative ones.

Coins-S.jpg

A model of a human skull that I put together quite a long time ago... and a replica of a Scottish Dirk.

Skull-S.jpg

Oh, and this... for those days I feel like doing a little... reaping. ;)

Scythe.jpg

Any questions? :)

J.

Guest Caveman
Caveman why did you delete the item I had seen you mention?

Because I misread the title of the thread and thought you were asking about the "oldest" thing we own and not the "oddest." My post was concerning the oldest thing I own.

Guest Jamie
You win!

It can't be that easy...

I didn't even post the pic of the wheel and tire off of a '48 Ford 10 ton dump truck that's still laying out in my front side yard... it's one of the old "suicide" rims. It's been laying there since my brother hauled off my grandfather's old truck.

J.

Edited by Jamie
Guest jackdm3
Because I misread the title of the thread and thought you were asking about the "oldest" thing we own and not the "oddest." My post was concerning the oldest thing I own.

Then mine is the oldest and the oddest that I own.

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

A Nazi Party flag and Luger from WWll (the German soldier did not need them anymore)and some civil war stuff.

Edited: Thanks Daniel

Edited by dboonekilledabearhere
Guest Jamie
Those knives made from leaf springs are definately nice.

Not really.

While they do show what can be done with a little imagination and a bit of work, they are more than a little crude and poorly designed.

The glue or resin that was used to secure the stub tangs to the handle has long since dried up and turned loose, so any attempt to use 'em for anything other than a wall hanger would be a waste of time.

They probably served quite well when they were first made, but their day of useful service is long gone.

Edit: I should mention that those two are more than 40 years old.

J.

Edited by Jamie

Off the top of my head, this would have to be in the running for the oddest thing I own:

S5000860.jpg

It's an '89 Bronco II with front and rear axles from an early Explorer sitting on 12.5X33 tires. No, I didn't build it. I have, however, met a guy through one of the Bronco II forums who helped one of the previous owners do the suspension work. He told me something that makes this Bronco II 'unusual'. Seems the guy who owned it before the one who did the suspension work was a computer whiz and he burned a custom, one of a kind chip for the ECU. The fellah who was telling me this has lots of previous experience with Bronco IIs. He had actually driven mine before it was mine and said that, because of that chip, mine has the most powerful 2.9 liter engine of its type he has ever encountered - said it was quite remarkable how much stronger it is than the 2.9 liter engines in other Bronco IIs. I was using it as a bad weather daily driver for a few years but now it will mostly be a fishing/camping vehicle since I got an '01 Dodge 4WD pickup last year.

Edited by JAB