Convert G23 or just get a G19?

My gen 2 Glock 23 has turned out to be a real winner so I want a 9mm version around as well. Ammo is cheaper and asian G19 mags are about 6 bucks at CDNN right now. My question: Do you think it's worth it to get another Glock entirely, or would a 9mm conversion barrel be sufficient?

Here are my qualms about getting a new Glock. I previously did have a G19 gen 3. I could not shoot it well on my first trip out and so I sold it. I blamed the funky thumb indentations and finger grooves. However, I did not really spend the time I've spent with my Gen 2 Glock, which I remember disliking the first time I held too. Do you think I'd get get used to the new grip? I held a Gen 4 G19 at Guns and Leather yesterday, and it felt alright. Not awesome, just alright.

What about 9mm conversion barrels? Are they generally as reliable as Glock stock? They're certainly priced right. I could get one of these, a few G19 mags, and a PF-9 besides for well under the price of a new G19.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve been thinking about this too and would be interested in any first hand experience.

from what I’ve read: the 9mm conversion barrels are pretty reliable but probably not something you want to Conceal Carry or stake your life on. It’s a cool range toy for good practice/plinking but why not just buy an aftermarket barrel in .40 so that you can shoot cheap & dirty lead bullets.

I purchased a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for my G27 so that I could shoot 9mm lead bullets. It worked fine and I had no trouble. I wound up selling it because I quit using it, just getting lazy in my old age. It is nicer to have 2 different pistols and if you are not shooting lead, I would go that way. But if you are looking to load cheap or buy cheaper lead reloads I think you would be better off with the conversion.

my free opinion:

I feel the same way about getting the 9mm conversion barrel as I do about getting a .22lr conversion. When you are at the range, do you really want to disassemble and reassemble with a new barrel? I just don't think its practical. Maybe you could even get really good at it, but is it something you'd want to do at the range?

So you get the lone wolf and now you can shoot 9mm. That's cool for the range and easier on the pocket. If you are like me than in actuality you probably won't be switching the barrels, so you just shoot 9mm on that range trip. Now you've spent a whole range trip shooting 9mm out of a gun that will be shooting .40S&W if you ever need to use it.

I like the .22lr conversion idea a lot more, but the same logic applies. I would make my decision on the assumption that I won't be switching barrels at the range. Shooting only .22lr through my Glock 23 makes a lot more sense to me than shooting only 9mm.

But since you want a 9mm, I think it makes the most sense to buy a new Gen 4 or used Gen 2 G19. You already know you like the gen 2 frame. Mags are a fixed cost. Ammo is the real expense over time. That's why I'm a fan of getting the .22lr conversion, which isn't even part of your original post.

But you probably already knew that since I shot with you yesterday :)

The problem with the .22 conversion is that I can't find it except on Gunbroker at inflated prices. But no, I have no issue with doing the conversion at the range. While that CZ and Ruger of yours are a pain in the butt to take apart, a Glock is stupid easy. I bet I could install a new barrel in under a minute.

But yes, I'm leaning towards the two pistols is better than one. I don't shoot reloads so I haven't really bumped against the leading issue yet.

my free opinion:

I feel the same way about getting the 9mm conversion barrel as I do about getting a .22lr conversion. When you are at the range, do you really want to disassemble and reassemble with a new barrel? I just don't think its practical. Maybe you could even get really good at it, but is it something you'd want to do at the range?

So you get the lone wolf and now you can shoot 9mm. That's cool for the range and easier on the pocket. If you are like me than in actuality you probably won't be switching the barrels, so you just shoot 9mm on that range trip. Now you've spent a whole range trip shooting 9mm out of a gun that will be shooting .40S&W if you ever need to use it.

I like the .22lr conversion idea a lot more, but the same logic applies. I would make my decision on the assumption that I won't be switching barrels at the range. Shooting only .22lr through my Glock 23 makes a lot more sense to me than shooting only 9mm.

But since you want a 9mm, I think it makes the most sense to buy a new Gen 4 or used Gen 2 G19. You already know you like the gen 2 frame. Mags are a fixed cost. Ammo is the real expense over time. That's why I'm a fan of getting the .22lr conversion, which isn't even part of your original post.

But you probably already knew that since I shot with you yesterday :)

40 cal to 9mm conversions arent a gooed idea and we have covered this before, if it works it wont work for long until something breaks. The 23 has a different mags, extractor, breech face, guide rod, and spring system. So at the very least if you put the 9mm barrel into the 23 it wont only simply void your warranty, it may damage your gun or the some of the parts mentioned above.

I'd just buy a cheap used 3rd generation Glock 19 like the one we have in our case for around $400 out the door ad be done with it. Then you have two great guns. ;-)

40 cal to 9mm conversions arent a gooed idea and we have covered this before, if it works it wont work for long until something breaks. The 23 has a different mags, extractor, breech face, guide rod, and spring system. So at the very least if you put the 9mm barrel into the 23 it wont only simply void your warranty, it may damage your gun or the some of the parts mentioned above.

I'd just buy a cheap used 3rd generation Glock 19 like the one we have in our case for around $400 out the door ad be done with it. Then you have two great guns. ;-)

That's what I would do.

Hey Glockmiester, I'm curious... Do all the conversion barrels void the warranty? Say .40 to .357 sig? Or 10mm to .40? I'd like to have a 10mm for backwoods carry but with ammo availability concerns it might be more appealing if I knew I could drop in a Lone Wolf conversion and shoot .40 in the event that it was the only thing available.

You could get a complete 9mm upper for the 23. That would solve the breach face problem. However, by that point you are getting into the price range of a decent used Gen 2 19.

I carry a Gen 3 19. I love it. I honestly have a hard time picturing carrying anything else. My Glock is stock. I wouldn't change a thing about it. I will admit that the trigger took some getting used to.

IMO since you are already used to the Gen 2 style frame, and you are fond of it, find a Gen 2 19. This gives you two factory reliable guns.

Plus, the KCI mags (which I own about a dozen of) don't have the world's best reputation. I have yet to have one fail in the gun, and I have used them all through several reloads. However I have had issues with the slide stop not functioning with them, and the spring feeling weak when hand stripping rounds. If you bought a new Glock, it would come with Glock magazines.

The 23 has a different mags, extractor, breech face, guide rod, and spring system. So at the very least if you put the 9mm barrel into the 23 it wont only simply void your warranty, it may damage your gun or the some of the parts mentioned above.

Strange, my 19 and 23 came with the same recoil springs, and I've never noticed a difference in the breech faces. How exactly will any of these parts get damaged?

I have 2 friends who recently took the Glock armorer class. They asked the question at least 2x will a Lone Wolf 9m conversion barrel damage the Glock 23? Both times the instructor stated he is only allowed to say Glock does not recommend it. Note: he would not say it will damage the gun. Both these individuals have the conversion barrel and have fired 100s of rnds w/o issue.

guys not trying to be argumenative, trust me i have been an Advanced Glock Armorer for 16 years...

If the 23 could do it without messing things up i'd be saying go for it and let me sell you the barrel. Anyone wanting to try it ...well.. then go ahead. Glocks are tough, but weve had to replace many extractors and ejectors over the years because of this thus the reason they are different parts with different cuts and angles from glock.

If anyone doubts me... call Glock, its really simple as that.

Btw for all those asking about the Glock 19 I mentioned in the thread, we only have one left... and i had 3 calls and 2 pm's this evening from tgoers .. so it seems its 1st come 1st served first thing in the morning, just see Jason and he'll take care of you.

Guest bkelm18
guys not trying to be argumenative, trust me i have been an Advanced Glock Armorer for 16 years...

If the 23 could do it without messing things up i'd be saying go for it and let me sell you the barrel. Anyone wanting to try it ...well.. then go ahead. Glocks are tough, but weve had to replace many extractors and ejectors over the years because of this thus the reason they are different parts with different cuts and angles from glock.

If anyone doubts me... call Glock, its really simple as that.

Btw for all those asking about the Glock 19 I mentioned in the thread, we only have one left... and i had 3 calls and 2 pm's this evening from tgoers .. so it seems its 1st come 1st served first thing in the morning, just see Jason and he'll take care of you.

Still seems worth it to me. An ejector and extractor cost what.. $30? Throw in a couple G19 mags and you can recoup the cost (not including barrel) within 1000 rnds of 9mm.