TN Gubernatorial Debate

Anyone else watching this? I swapping between it and the Home Run Derby and I already think Haslem is a tool. He is up there acting like he is Rico Suave and it is making me laugh. McWerter or whatever looks like he is nervous and doesn't seem to know what he is doing. Wamp sounds like he is trying to please everyone and make sure he says what people want to hear whereas Ramsey is up there saying what needs to be said wants to do what needs to be done even if it isnt a popular choice. Jusy my 2 cents though.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jamie

Yeah, my wife had it on... I tried to ignore it so I wouldn't feel any sudden urges to throw something through the T.V.

It didn't work. :D

( No, I didn't bash the boob tube... but I sure wanted to. )

J.

I thought Ron Ramsey did a great job. But he doesn't stand a chance. Four days before the start of early voting and no ads on TV. Not enough people know who he is or anything about him.

Superposed

Hmmm....been several Ramesy ads in this part of the state.

Guest AlzRuger

Ramsey was the only one that would answer the questions that were asked! The other three could only do the

Tennessee Side Step! Ramsey may not have a chance,, but,, he's got my vote!

Guest Plainsman

Haslam may be winning the polls, but he sure as hell didn't win that debate. Thirty seconds is a little quick for a debate in my opinion though, I'd rather there have been fewer questions and longer explanations, but I guess we'll see that after the primary.

Haslam may be winning the polls, but he sure as hell didn't win that debate. Thirty seconds is a little quick for a debate in my opinion though, I'd rather there have been fewer questions and longer explanations, but I guess we'll see that after the primary.

The only reason is his million$$ in TV campaign adds. I really wish people would take the responsibility to watch a debate or search online to find out about the candidates they will be voting for instead of being suckers for their commercials. Unfortunatly, most people were watching Extream Hair Dressers or some other brain numbing crap. They will vote for who's on TV the most.

I know all the candidates are BS'ers to a degree but Haslam is obviously the phoniest of the bunch. Whamp was trying too hard to to add drama in his speech, like someone said, McWerter seemed like he didn't care most of the time probably because he knows he doesn't have a chanch, and Ramsey can be a little boring but he's the only choice IMO.

+1 for Ramsey. Wouldn't be the first time I voted for the one that lost. That doesn't bother me a bit.

It aint over yet, I'm not making any bets on who will win although Haslam may be slightly ahead in some poll.

I was at the local Tea Party meeting last night where we have eight people running for County Excetive and now I have it narrowed down to three. We also have four people running for Trustee and now I know who I will be voting for. When we had the debate of the people running for Governor Ramsey ran away with it. This is in Humphreys County.

Guest drv2fst

If you believe your favorite candidate is behind call their office and request a yard sign. Ask how you can help. Wear a pin. Help him put up a better fight. Don't let the advertising $$$ win the race. Grassroots support should mean more than media $$$. If not, let's make it so.

Wamp and Haslam acted as though they were the only ones in the race. Both ducked and dodged and basically slammed each other. McWherter and Ramsey were the only ones who came across as having any integrity and being honest.

I think that Ron Ramsey benefited from the debate, but Haslam and Wamp were hurt by it.

TV ads and yard signs do not win elections. Only people who actually go out and vote matter. If you want a candidate to win, talk him/her up to your friends and neighbors. A personal contact counts a LOT more than TV ads or yard signs. And yard signs are yours for teh asking.

Guest uofmeet

I have a corner lot and i have to ramsey sign's in my yard. They opened up on office near where i work, so i stopped and picked up signs. I am voting for ramsey, although haslam did spend around $7000 on my station alone(radio in memphis), i still hope ramsey could win. He did advertise earlier, heard on my station and also saw this on TV, but i have no clue who will come out with it. I just hope Ramsey can pull a rabbit out of his hat. He has my wife's vote also. Guess i need to start talkin to more people about him. Did convert a sales guy i work with to vote for him also. need to keep going.

Oh yeah, the Tea party endorsed him also, so hopefully that will help.

any place to watch it online?

C-SPAN Video Player - Tennessee Gubernatorial Debate Spotlights GOP Candidates

I watched most of the thing in its entirety last night but need to watch it again. My initial impressions: Ramsey has a tongue to match his hair (silver). If I only cared about one issue he would be a no-brainer. As it stands now I don't think he has a chance. Little to no advertising in Knoxville that I've noticed. Haslam signs all over the place, radio wave full of Haslam ads. Have no experience of his coverage elsewhere.

Haslam has Lewis Black fingers. I have no doubt he could do the job, just don't know that I want him too.

Wamp is very confident. Maybe a little too confident. He could do the job as well, just not sure how tolerant I am of the Republican insistence of legislating morality (I'm not, actually). Same goes for Ramsey.

McWherter sounds like a very moderate Democrat who is probably good at what he does. He needs to keep on doing that and stay out of Nashville.

Edited by Garufa
Guest Sgt. Joe

Ramsey will be getting at least my vote and a half dozen others that I know of here not including folks here at TGO.

I will be at the Gun store tomorrow among some other places and will keep trying to convince people to vote for him. I am a bit disheartened that a few I know are not going to bother at all or so they say for now, I will be one of the first at the early voting and keep trying to talk to folks.

I have not seen a whole lot of signs for any of them around here and the TV ads are about even in number. Ron also quit just stomping that boot and started explaining what he meant in his ads, and I was really happy to see that.

I thought he was the only one giving straight answers last night and Yea ole Mac seemed like he would have rather been somewhere else.

None of them are perfect but I dont want no DC insider nor any phony rich guy, maybe just maybe Ron can pull that rabbit out of his Boot....HA HA I made a funny

Edited by Sgt. Joe

In a way I really hope Ramsey does pull it off. Just not convinced that he will. I'm leaning that way for now....

Oh, and Haslam's not a phony rich guy, he's really, really rich. So rich he can't even tell cause I'm sure that he doesn't know. :biglol:

Edited by Garufa
Guest Plainsman

Not sure if this had been posted, but didn't find it in a quick search:

Ronnie Barrett Endorses Zach Wamp for Governor « Zach Wamp for Governor: Strong Leadership for Tennessee

NASHVILLE – Ronnie Barrett, well-known Tennessee gun rights advocate and the CEO of Barrett Firearms, today endorsed Zach Wamp for Governor.

Barrett started Barrett Firearms 28 years ago, and he has become a revered icon in the world of firearms manufacturing, and staunch defender of the second amendment.

“Whenever Tennessee sportsmen and gun owners needed a friend in Congress, Zach Wamp stood strong with us to protect and defend our 2nd Amendment rights, that’s why he’s always received an A rating from the National Rifle Association” said Barrett. “We need that same strong backbone and consistent support from our next Governor, and I’m convinced that Zach Wamp will be that man. I strongly encourage all Tennessee sportsmen and gun owners to support Zach Wamp for Governor.”

Headquartered in Murfreesboro, Barrett Firearms is the world leader in large-caliber rifle design and manufacturing. Their products are used by civilian sport shooters, law enforcement agencies. The United States military adopted the Barrett .50 caliber rifle as well as more than 50 American allied countries across the world and has been an important weapon for our fighting troops.

“I am honored to have Ronnie Barrett join our campaign for Governor,” said Wamp. “Ronnie and Barrett Firearms are a true Tennessee success stories and his endorsement is more proof of our campaign’s momentum. As Governor, I will continue my long, consistent record of fighting to protect the 2nd Amendment rights for law-abiding citizens and sportsmen.”

In February, Barrett was honored by NRA Publications with the Golden Bullseye Pioneer Award. Ronnie is a past recipient of the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year, and has been recognized by both Inc. Magazine and Business Tennessee Magazine as a top entrepreneurial company. The United States Army in 2004 named the Barrett M107 as “One of the Top 10 Greatest Inventions”. The first time in history any firearm had made the list.

Ronnie has been featured on shows like 60 Minutes, Paula Zaun, Dateline, Discovery channel, History channel and Military Channel and many others. His rifles are seen in major motion pictures as well as depicted in the top rated action video games in America.