.380 prices finally dropping

I'm constantly checking different websites for ammo and I've noticed that .380 is not only becoming more abundant but also affordable.

Cabelas currently has it on sale for $13.99 per 50 and they are offering $5 shipping through the 20th on orders over $150. That is almost as cheap as 9mm these days.

They also have .380 hollow points at decent prices.(if you believe in such a thing)

My dad recently picked up a box of .380 at wal-mart!!!!! it was only $19 after tax.:drool:

Has anyone else had any luck buying locally?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0075317217410a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCHFEAT_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=.380+ammo&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=8&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=29

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&selectedPerPage=&hasJS=true&_D:hasJS=+&_D:sort=+&sort=all&Ntt=.380+ammo&Go.x=29&Go.y=8&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form1

Edited by Erik88
added links
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not locally, but Cabela's did finally ship my Fiocchi Extrema .380's that I had on backorder. $25 for 50 rounds of nickel-cased, penetrating AND expanding hollow-points is a heck of a deal.

I just left one of my local wal-marts and they had lots of .380(wwb and remington green box) on the shelf as well as .38, 9mm, .40 and .45acp. I keep thinking I need to buy more ammo before it gets scarce again but unless shtf I will never shoot what I have now.

Edited by brooksjr

I guess I'll have to check my local Wally World again. I still haven't seen any 380 at the Memphis area stores in a long time. Maybe people here haven't seen the memo and still think they're supposed to buy it all up the moment they see it. :)

Guest Tygarys
I guess I'll have to check my local Wally World again. I still haven't seen any 380 at the Memphis area stores in a long time. Maybe people here haven't seen the memo and still think they're supposed to buy it all up the moment they see it. :D

I see it pop up in Bass Pro off of Macon every so often.

Guest Ae-35

Not much around here, TCGD had the fmj for 20. Since my wife took the LCP, ( that's a good thing! ), she don't shoot it much. I had her put one mag of CD, and one mag of Corbon. Both +p's, Corbon's are better, at least in my frozen gallon jug test. Since the LCP is not rated for +p, and both brands of the hp's worked without any ftf's, I told her just to carry the Corbon's and shoot the fmj for "fun". After 5 mags ,that lttle pistol is not really much "fun", anyway.

Last weekend Walmart in Antioch had 100 count boxes of WWB .380 in stock for $31, but they were flat nosed. My Bersa will eat anything, so I got 2 boxes. As a measuring stick...the same store had 100 ct box of WWB 9 mm (not flat nosed) for $25.

I didn't think I'd ever see 6 cent diference per round b/w .380 and 9mm again.

As far as Walmart goes, I rarely see it in East Tn, Tri-Cities. I'm thinking "buy low, sell high" you need to hold off stocking up until the pipline fills completely. I've been shooting .380 for 25 years and I'm expecting it to return eventually.

Guest Ae-35

1 gal. plastic "jug". Just my test, been using it for 20 years. I expect a good hollow point to go into the second jug at 10 yards, and expand. Unacceptable is,.... no penetration into second jug, jacket separation, or no expansion. I freeze solid , 3 jugs full of water, placed one behind the other. That's how I test a hollow point before I carry it for SD. I do this before I buy 250 to check for reliable function , no since in wasting money. If the bullet is unacceptable, it don't matter how well it shoots, or how reliable it works in the gun. That's just my way, don't care who likes it or not, penetration is ways more important than expansion to me.I feel, If it don't get in deep enough, and in one piece, it doesn't matter how big around it is.

1 gal. plastic "jug". Just my test, been using it for 20 years. I expect a good hollow point to go into the second jug at 10 yards, and expand. Unacceptable is,.... no penetration into second jug, jacket separation, or no expansion. I freeze solid , 3 jugs full of water, placed one behind the other. That's how I test a hollow point before I carry it for SD. I do this before I buy 250 to check for reliable function , no since in wasting money. If the bullet is unacceptable, it don't matter how well it shoots, or how reliable it works in the gun. That's just my way, don't care who likes it or not, penetration is ways more important than expansion to me.I feel, If it don't get in deep enough, and in one piece, it doesn't matter how big around it is.

Interesting. I've seen many people shoot into jugs of water, but not ice. I would have thought something that hard wouldn't give you any good idea of how it would perform in "organic matter". :up:

Guest Ae-35

I have always felt, that "Gelatin" was too soft, and really, the ice way be too hard, but you've got skin, muscle, bone and fluids to get through before you get to vital organs. What is as soft as that gelatin? Not bone for sure, and not muscle, nor tendons. My ice jugs not may be very realistic,... it's just to me, the gelatin isn't ether! The gelatin is just a "standard" others use, well, the frozen water jugs are the "standard" I use. Easy bullet recovery too. You'd be surprised, the lack of penetration you get from the lighter bullet weights, regardless of caliber.

I bought a box of Monarch brass-cased .380 at the Academy at Hamilton Place Mall a few weeks back. It seems like they were $16.XX per box and I haven't tested them out, yet, but iirc they are JHPs. Early last week, the Madisonville WalMart had one 100 round box of WWB and several 50 round boxes of Remington UMC. Maybe ammo companies are finally making more .380 ammo than the guys who buy all the Wally ammo then try to sell it for two or three times the price at gunshows can buy. I hope supplies return so quickly that those guys end up having to sell the ammo they have at a loss.

I have always felt, that "Gelatin" was too soft, and really, the ice way be too hard, but you've got skin, muscle, bone and fluids to get through before you get to vital organs. What is as soft as that gelatin? Not bone for sure, and not muscle, nor tendons. My ice jugs not may be very realistic,... it's just to me, the gelatin isn't ether! The gelatin is just a "standard" others use, well, the frozen water jugs are the "standard" I use. Easy bullet recovery too. You'd be surprised, the lack of penetration you get from the lighter bullet weights, regardless of caliber.

This is an interesting idea. So can you tell us how the LCP did with your test? I don't have one, but I would expect similar results from my p238

Guest Ae-35

CD's made it in the second jug, but only 2in. , DID NOT expand!! Corbon , through the second jug, just into the third, OPENED UP... the size of a nickel. Will post pic's next week, when I get my camera back.

CD's made it in the second jug, but only 2in. , DID NOT expand!! Corbon , through the second jug, just into the third, OPENED UP... the size of a nickel. Will post pic's next week, when I get my camera back.

sweet, can't wait. thanks for sharing