Best 308 semi-auto platform?

Guest drv2fst

Guest drv2fst

I am interested in getting a new 308 semi auto. I have been looking at all the different platforms, and there are several. I'd like to hear the boards opinions about these platforms and others.

M1 (the US standard)

FAL (the ROW standard)

AR (DPMS, LWRC, POF, tacticool...)

AK (Saiga, cheapest option)

SCAR (new kid on block)

I like all these platforms for different reasons.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all are good picks i have all but scar if you would like to shoot them .for match gun imo m1a is top battle rifle fal is top ar can change from 308 to 2430r others

i think you could get a good fal cheaper if you looked some but like i said imo

It depends on what you want and how much you want to spend... sub-MOA accurate target rifle? Bug-out gun? Something in between?

Seems to me that a Garand should be .30-06, though I know they're available in 7.62 NATO. There's also the M14 to consider.

I'm in the process of building a FAL, something about them just fascinates me. I'd love to have one of each on your list.

It depends on what you want and how much you want to spend... sub-MOA accurate target rifle? Bug-out gun? Something in between?

Seems to me that a Garand should be .30-06, though I know they're available in 7.62 NATO. There's also the M14 to consider.

I'm in the process of building a FAL, something about them just fascinates me. I'd love to have one of each on your list.

A little confusion... The M1A (Springfield) IS a semi-auto M14.

No Question - - - FAL.

What we should have selected over the M14 back in the 50s. If we had, prehaps the M16 would have never happened and our troops in the fight right now would be shooting a round that really matters.

JMHO.

Guest drv2fst

Actually, I am looking for a platform that I can buy and have more than one gun in the same platform for different reasons. Like LWRC 16" for "battle rifle" and LWRC 20" for sub MOA target. Most of these platforms offer that possibility. M1A SOCOM for "battle rifle" and M1A National Match for sub MOA target. I like the idea of having 2 different rifles on the same platform, same mags, same controls, interchangeable parts, ... that are suited for their specific functions.

Guest drv2fst
No Question - - - FAL.

JMHO.

I've never seen anyone shoot a FAL accurately at 300-800 yards. Can it be done? The M1A has many matches to prove it can hit well at 1000 yards. I like the FAL as well but have never actually seen an accurate one.

I've never seen anyone shoot a FAL accurately at 300-800 yards. Can it be done? The M1A has many matches to prove it can hit well at 1000 yards. I like the FAL as well but have never actually seen an accurate one.

My DSA built FAL is accurate..., as accurate as any battle rifle needs to be. It fulfills Jeff Cooper's demand that a rifle, "be capable of striking a single decisive blow, on a live target of up to 200 kilos in weight, at any distance at which the operator can shoot with the precision necessary to place a shot in a vital area of the target."

I used it as my 3-Gun rifle for a couple of years just to be different and because I didn't want to shoot my "work-gun" (the M4). The FAL is my SHTF weapon.

Now that its clear that you are looking to take long range shots with an auto loader in 7.62, I would recommend the Knight's Armament SR-25.

Knight's Armament Company

DPMS makes the SASS and the LAR 308 for the purpose you want. However having said that I also have the M1A and M1A SOCOM which I think are lighter and prefer the location of the charging handle. When a SCAR 17 comes in I will have one and I am waiting for a M1A Match Target. I passed n the FAL platform. With the M1A you can get a Mini 14 and have the same configuration with 223 or a Mini 30 and have a 7.62 X39.

Guest drv2fst

Now that its clear that you are looking to take long range shots with an auto loader in 7.62, I would recommend the Knight's Armament SR-25.

Knight's Armament Company

I would like to do that. But the SR-25 is $5,000. I'd more likely buy 2 M1A's or 2 FAL's and have one for up close and personal and another for long distance relationships. That's my real goal; two rifles, different purposes, same platform.

FAL fills the bill well if if is accurate at range. I can hit golf balls regularly at 330 yards with my 5.56 (varmit setup) AR and my Savage 308. I'd like to do that with a 308 autoloader. I just have not seen one capable yet. I had two FAL's before, neither would perform at that level. However, I did not do anything to them to try to bring them up to that level either. If it's possible, I may give it a try.

Guest drv2fst

LWRC changed the controls on the REPR so that they are not the same as the M6A2 (have) or M6A3 (want). SCAR could be a good fit but I don't know if it is accurate at distance. And, it's a bit pricy to have a pair. M1A of FAL seem to be in the running. Is there anything about the M1A that drove the military away from this platform? I have heard they are bringing it out of retirement in limited numbers.

A little confusion... The M1A (Springfield) IS a semi-auto M14.

Right... I saw M1 and Garand was the first thing that came to mind rather than an M1A.

A typical frankenFAL surplus kit build (like mine) likely won't do much beyond 300 yds, but (like the AK) it was never meant to be a sniper rifle. It's all in how much you want to spend. Match grade parts and MOA rifles are available. The most cost effective option, particularly with the modularity you want, is the AR-10 platform.

my personal suggestion would be the LWRC REPR with the 20" barrel for precision and the 16 or 18" barrel for a more general use.

2nd option would be M1A Socom for close work and something like the Super Match M1A to reach out and touch someone

also FN just released the FNAR w/ a 16" bbl, FYI

Guest Billetproof

I like my FAL, great battle rifle. Like the M1A and Ar10 versions but what really interests me is the Keltec RFB ( I know Keltec?). Always loved bullpup semis but am left handed. Waiting till they ate out for awhile to see what the reviews bring out about it. If they are good, I'll probably pick one up!

Guest drv2fst

The reviews on the RFB are pretty good. Google will help you there. I like the RFB but am not sure it can be a long distance weapon. It would be a great up close and personal weapon.

There are plans for longer barrels to be available for the RFB. While well balanced I think they are boxy and lack what one would want in an up close and personal weapon such as rail space. I had to order a rail for the bottom of the forearm just to use a bipod. The company also claims to be working on a quad rail for the RFB but if there claims and reality equal what they provided for the Sub2000 it will be a long wait. The second thing I did was to put a Battle Comp on the RFB and the result was a yes maybe. Let someone else buy an RFB so you can test fire it.

The RFB uses metric FAL mags only!

There are plans for longer barrels to be available for the RFB. While well balanced I think they are boxy and lack what one would want in an up close and personal weapon such as rail space. I had to order a rail for the bottom of the forearm just to use a bipod. The company also claims to be working on a quad rail for the RFB but if there claims and reality equal what they provided for the Sub2000 it will be a long wait. The second thing I did was to put a Battle Comp on the RFB and the result was a yes maybe. Let someone else buy an RFB so you can test fire it.

The RFB uses metric FAL mags only!

KT is selling a free floating HG picatinny rail for $40 on their website. However, there are no pictures and I've never seen one. Kel-Tec - Store

Guest Fuernis

My friend and I have been having this out for YEARS. It has always come down to the FAL,M1A , and G3 (PTR). We ruled out the AR style because there is still some variation in parts compatibility and limited availability of parts(as of 2002). The sight radius being on the same fixtures helps in accuracy, point G3, M1A. Parts in the US comes down to M1a and FAL (thank you DSA). Combat proven has to go to the G3 and FAL (don't be haters, they have been fielded more then the M14). All of the options for mounting optic sucks. The list we made goes on and on. with no clear cut winner.

It came down to some advice a Marine friend of mine gave when asked " Get a good one of any of them and if you hit what your aiming for it will go down." After all of that my buddy has one of each and I am buying a 6.8 SPC.

Have you considered an FNAR? 1MOA guaranteed by FN....mine has shot 1/2 MOA with 150gr Federal from Wally World. I'm having a PWS compensator put on this week which will make it even more fun to shoot, but recoil isn't bad as is.

I picked mine up for $1350...about half or less of the other guns that have been mentioned like the SCAR. I have the heavy barrel version and it weighs about 9lbs. I definately wouldn't use it as a tactical weapon, more of a prone or bench gun. It's going to depend on what the purpose is going to be. The SCAR should be plenty accurate for a battle rifle, however if you want something bolt gun accurate, the FNAR is probably your closest bet in semi-auto. FNH puts the same hammer forged barrels on the FNAR that they use for thier bolt guns.

The FNAR comes with a top rail ready for optics and three picatinny rails on the forend. The bottom rail even has a swivel stud for mounting a Harris bipod instead of a rail mounted bipod. I acutally have rigged it up to accept my GG&G bipod and a Tango Down battle grip. You can get it in a 16" barrel if you want a battle rifle style .308, however most of them are 20", either light or heavy barrels.

I used to own an LR-308 and it preformed very well. It was about 1MOAish with Federal from Wally World, probably would have been sub MOA slightly with some match ammo.

Good luck!

Edited by Kenstaroni