Holster Revelation(IWB carry Isnt What It Cracks Up To Be)

I have recently(like the last couple of weeks)carried OWB but concealed and have to admit its a lot more comfortable with a certain body make up than others.I have a very short torso and this always puts the butt of my EMP into my lower ribs which gets very annoying,so lately I have been using a Desantis Mini Slide for carry.Anyone else running into this abnophenom(my own personal description)for lack of a better word,rib ache.Anyone here ever run into any problems with staying under the radar wearing an outside holster.I always wear a shirt over this set up as not to alarm the 911 phobics(Oh My God I Broke A Nail)should I call.Have any of you converted over to this type of carry or possibly have always ran OWB.Inquiring minds want to know.:)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker

OWB, covered by a shirt in a $25 holster works for me. Never been picked off, that I know of.

No question the most comfortable for me.

OK. In the cooler months it's easy to wear a cover shirt.

I work inside and usually wear a long sleeve shirt tucked. However, when off work and running errands with the long sleeve shirt on, what would be the best way to cover?

Even if wearing a short sleeve shirt, it would seem odd to wear another shirt over the one I have on in 95 degree weather.

This may have already been "covered" and I have just not seen the thread.

I have several holsters where you can tuck your shirt in and they do ok if I put the holster on at the house.

How does everyone cover in the summer when dressed casual?

When not at work, I almost always wear a t-shirt tucked in(keeps the gun from touching skin) and OWB holster, and a loose flowing untucked shirt. I prefer the style thats designed not to be tucked, but lately I find myself wearing those "fishing" style shirts form Bass Pro or Academy, etc, untucked. I always get a larger size than needed, and everythging is covered up good.

I have only carried iwb (@ about 1:30), and really love it with my modded "Glock sport/combat" holster and g26. But just got my first owb holster yesterday, and trying to find a way to conceal it at 3:30-4:00... Not having much luck so far. A simple t-shirt definitely isn't cutting it... I have gone back to the iwb, and *I* can't even see that i'm packing :P It's really comfortable too. I just don't like sweating on my gun :eek:

Guess i will try picking up a over-sized short sleeve open shirt to try wearing over a tucked t-shirt. I agree with Shark that it will seem odd to wear in this heat. Maybe i'll check out those "fishing" shirts barewoolf mentioned.

Looking forward to others' suggestions on this too :P

Guest Archminister01

When i carried in AZ, it was usually OWB. Even outside of the shirt because out there we dont have to many "OMG he has a GUN" folks that automatically think gun = bad. It still amazes me that anyone would think someone willing to show his or her carried weapon has bad intentions. Showing a weapon in advance is usually counterproductive to any bad guys intentions. Anyway I like to carry OWB. My build isnt conducive to IWB. I like to wear larger loose fiting clothing anyway. Once i get my permit here in TN, I will also carry OWB.

When not at work, I almost always wear a t-shirt tucked in(keeps the gun from touching skin) and OWB holster, and a loose flowing untucked shirt. I prefer the style thats designed not to be tucked, but lately I find myself wearing those "fishing" style shirts form Bass Pro or Academy, etc, untucked. I always get a larger size than needed, and everythging is covered up good.

This.

I'll button a few buttons on the outer shirt if it's windy. The newer wicking materials in "performance" shirts are much cooler than plain ol' cotton when it's real hot. I've found that instead of wearing a cotton undershirt, the "under armor" type shirts are very comfortable. I just need to get a couple more. FWIW, the "Starter" brand at wallyworld is just as good and less than half the cost of real Under Armor.

Can't carry OWB unless I'm at a gun range or at my buddies shooting. On the "hip" carry isn't confortable for me for more than an hour. When I want to be comfortable, it's IWB MTAC allllll day long...then again I also "kidney" carry for max confort.

My carry piece is a Kel Tec PF9 with the belt clip installed on the gun. I wear it IWB with my shirt tucked in, if I feel the need to hide it, I blouse the shirt out an inch or two and it covers the end of the butt that shows above my belt. My wife and I had lunch today at a buffet in Clarksville with about eight LEO's sitting around us and no one noticed I was carrying.

I will admit that on hot days, I do sweat on the gun and on more than one occasion, I've had to clean rust off the slide at night. But I have credited that to the fine KT bluing. Heheheeh

I do like the Bass Pro shirts. I carry OWB or IWB with those untucked all the time. Like I said in the earlier post, its my after work summer-time carry I would like to modify. I usualy have to carry in my pocket because I don't like to have a wrinkled shirt tail if I untuck and, to me, a cover shirt in the summer looks funny.

I am an IWB guy, 10:30 - 11:00 position (left-handed shooter), either an LCR in a Kholster or SP101 2.25" in a High Noon Hidden Ally.

I have always worn a t-shirt under my "work" shirt, so the extra layer of clothing has never bothered me, even with the summer we are having now.

The Kholster is a full pancake, so with no undershirt, leather against skin. The SP rides pretty low in the HA, so mainly the grip would be against bare skin.

I wear my shirts untucked 95% of the time, but both of these holsters are advertised as "tuckable"