Retread Tires

Guest db99wj

Guest db99wj

For everyday use. I ran across this company that does retreads, they look like BFG AT's and MTR's and a few others. I have only found people that have no experience with them say bad things about them. The appear not to last as long, but they do have a 2 year/24K mile warranty. They do say this:

We use a Full-Grade Truck rubber on all of our tires. This has anywhere from 10-20% natural rubber, leading to a higher mileage, more cut resistant tire. The tires come with a two year 24,000 mile warranty. The rubber is rated at a 40-50K tread compound. The mud terrain tires will wear faster than the all terrain tires due to the open nature of the tread design.

The tire that I am looking at is a knock off of the BFG AT. If I were to buy new, that would be $224 per tire, they are $107! That is for a 285/70/17, or a 33" x 11.5 tire.

Here is the website: Retread Tires - Buy Retread Tires, Cheap Tires, Off Road Tires, and Retreads Online

Here is the tire:

51.jpg

Here is the MTR

52.jpg

These are would be $129.

Anybody have experience with these?

I'm sure there are opinions!:eek:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coldblackwind

My buddy had some non-retread bfg at's on his tahoe, and he hated them right up til he traded the truck. Spun bad on wet grass, lots of road noise, just all around didn't like them.

Guest db99wj
My buddy had some non-retread bfg at's on his tahoe, and he hated them right up til he traded the truck. Spun bad on wet grass, lots of road noise, just all around didn't like them.

I had the opposite. I had them on my Jeep Grand Cherokee put 65K on them, they weren't loud, not as quite as a road tire, did great in wet/snow/dry/dirt. Mud, they weren't the best, but they are an AT. Funny thing about BFG AT's is that people seem to love them or hate them.

For that price you could pick up brand new tires from tirerack.com

I just got some General Grabber AT2's and they ride amazingly, super quite for an open tread tire, and grippy as any tire I've ever run.

So far as the BFG ATs, I have them on my Rubicon LJ. Good all around traction, not noisey. I like them much better than the MTRs.

Now to the retreads. A couple of guys in the FL Jeepers club were running them several years back. If I remember the biggest problem they had were balance problems. Remember, many of the alligators along the road are retreads that have thrown.

oldogy

Guest db99wj

I just got some General Grabber AT2's and they ride amazingly, super quite for an open tread tire, and grippy as any tire I've ever run.

No where close for a new tire in the size that I have. Stock are 255/75/17's an the cheap stock city tires that com on it are around $170. They are GY wrangler SRA's. I want to go up in size, a 33" and most aggressive at's are $200 or more. I want Goodyear duratracs they are @ $230.

The DOT will not allow semi trucks to run retread tires on the steer axle due to the much higher potential for tire failure compared to new rubber. I've worked on lots of semi trucks, and dealt with a lot of retread tires. Semi truck tires are designed to be retreaded, I doubt the tires that you're considering were designed for it.

I'd stay away, but that's just me.

Guest coldblackwind

That's what I had on my jeep, grabber AT2's, those were some great tires. Went anywhere.

As for the retreads, I've never used them, but my parents used to years ago, they had a couple just completely fall apart on them. That's why I avoid them.

Retreads are used on heavy jets all the time. the max limit is six retread cycles per carcass typically. Retreads are a good choice and should work just fine especially if you are trying to save a little.

Guest db99wj

Seems like the naysayers have either heard of experiences long ago, had a bad experience long ago, or have dealt with retreads on commercial trailers. I have read quite a bit on these and for the majority, it is positive experiences.

It's an interesting product. When I need new tires, (I want new ones, but I don't need them right now), I will look further into these, and if I am cash strapped, this might be a solution. Might be a solution anyway. I have read they don't last as long as the originals. They seem to be softer, which is great for traction, but wear faster. But for over half as less, and you get 60-75% of the life of the new ones, cost might be beneficial. Interesting, I'll be doing some more research. At a minimum they would be a good 2nd set of tires for off road users that daily drive their rigs.

Guest db99wj
I'm more interested in saving my life than saving a few dollars.

This is one of the response that I've read that have nothing to back it up. What is your experience or knowledge of this company in particular or retreads that are done today?

Heat is the most important factor with retreads. Having lived in the desert I am aware of the failures with retreads but would think here it would not be a problem unless you were attempting to race at over 100 MPH. For general daily use they should be OK. My personal experience with aggressive tires has lead me to prefer all weather over all terrain. The so called all terrain tires on my truck spin out in the mud where the all weather on my van do not.

Guest db99wj
Heat is the most important factor with retreads. Having lived in the desert I am aware of the failures with retreads but would think here it would not be a problem unless you were attempting to race at over 100 MPH. For general daily use they should be OK. My personal experience with aggressive tires has lead me to prefer all weather over all terrain. The so called all terrain tires on my truck spin out in the mud where the all weather on my van do not.

I would not be going over 100 in my Jeep, unless it was on a plane or something. Not sure if it would go that fast, and not willing to try it! LOL! The heat thing is a concern, especially since today is going to be the coolest day of the next 7 days at 97!

Most All terrains are not very aggressive and not that good in the mud. The BFG AT's do ok, but the lugs are too close together and have a tendency to cake over. Ideal you need wheel speed with those and not need to stop. I'm not a big mud guy, so that is not a huge concern. Small stuff yes, mud bog no.

My two choices for tires, as mentioned, ideally would be the BFG AT due to past experiences on two different Jeeps, a YJ and my WJ and the Goodyear Duratrac, which is a very aggressive AT, that is quiet and getting great reviews off road, however, they are still fairly new and the most mileage I've seen on them is about 25K miles, but they are holding up great. I need a good all terrain, that truly works on all terrain in general, due to this being my daily driver. Can't be too loud to harsh.

Here's a pic of the duratrac, they are as quiet as most less aggressive tires.

0069766209231_500X500.jpg

Guest db99wj
i had some bfg at's on an 03 hd chevy and it wouldn't move on wet grass . they stink jmho

As I mentioned, I had two sets, one on a 89 YJ and performed great, got a lot of miles on them, and did ok off road. I also had a set on my 99 WJ, and never had any problems. I put 65K miles on them and they still had some miles left when I traded that Jeep for my 09. This thread is not about BFG AT's. I am very aware of the pros and cons of that tire due to my experiences.

A friend had them on a full size bronco and had an issue once in wet grass too, not sure, but it might be a weight thing. Keep in mind that wet grass, if you are on the surface, is about as slick as ice. Most tires, as along as they are on top of the grass, will spin. Besides, I don't drive alot on wet grass.

Guest TargetShooter84

What about Nitto Terra Grapplers?

They work as well as AT, maybe a little bit better. I've wheeled with couple people up at windrock in the worst muddiest conditions and they were running these and didn't have problems.

Nitto_Terra_Grappler.jpg

Guest db99wj
What about Nitto Terra Grapplers?

They work as well as AT, maybe a little bit better. I've wheeled with couple people up at windrock in the worst muddiest conditions and they were running these and didn't have problems.

Nitto_Terra_Grappler.jpg

I've looked at those as well. I have heard good things about them. They are in my top 5, they are $216.99 for 285/70/17's. If I drop down an inch in height, 265/70/17's the price drops down to $150. Crazy different in price for an inch!

Edited by db99wj
The DOT will not allow semi trucks to run retread tires on the steer axle due to the much higher potential for tire failure compared to new rubber. I've worked on lots of semi trucks, and dealt with a lot of retread tires. Semi truck tires are designed to be retreaded, I doubt the tires that you're considering were designed for it.

I'd stay away, but that's just me.

That is what I was just about to say.

It runs me ~$200 a piece for retreads on my trailers and drive axles, but I have to run $400 new tires on my steer axles.

With that thought in mind, I would not put retreads on a four wheeler I intended to drive daily. An offroad rig, sure.

Guest db99wj
That is what I was just about to say.

It runs me ~$200 a piece for retreads on my trailers and drive axles, but I have to run $400 new tires on my steer axles.

With that thought in mind, I would not put retreads on a four wheeler I intended to drive daily. An offroad rig, sure.

Here is what retread.org says

The cost of a retreaded tire will usually be 30 to 50% less than the cost of a new tire. They can be driven at the same speeds, including highway and Interstate speeds, as new tires, with no loss in safety or comfort. Virtually all of the world's airlines use retreads. Retreaded tires are used on school buses, racing cars, taxis, trucks, and Federal and U.S. military vehicles. These users all know that retreaded tires can be depended upon for safe and dependable performance.
I'd pay crazy money to increase by an inch, myself... :drunk:

I saw that you posted, I knew it was going to be something like this, you did not disappoint!!!! LOL!

Here is what retread.org says

The cost of a retreaded tire will usually be 30 to 50% less than the cost of a new tire. They can be driven at the same speeds, including highway and Interstate speeds, as new tires, with no loss in safety or comfort. Virtually all of the world's airlines use retreads. Retreaded tires are used on school buses, racing cars, taxis, trucks, and Federal and U.S. military vehicles. These users all know that retreaded tires can be depended upon for safe and dependable performance.

Retreads are used on commercial trucks and busses, but the Department of Transportation will not allow them to be run on the steering axle due to the fact that a steer tire failure has a much greater potential to cause an accident than a drive tire failure. If they are just as safe as new rubber, why the restriction?

I have no stake in what you put on your personal vehicle, but I would avoid retreads on mine.