Anyone a Lever Action Fan?

petro

I'm wanting an 1873 lever action in 38/357 and cannot decide between the 20" barrel and the 24" barrel. I think the 24" is better looking, but since I will use it for plinking, would I be satisfied with the 20"?

Also, is any one brand better than another?

Thanks for the replies!

:mad:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think lever actions are cool. I hadn’t had one in years and picked up two Winchester Model 94’s last month.

(Shameless plug… I have one that needs restored in the for sale section cheap. :mad:)

I wanted a .357Mag but didn’t have any luck.

I don’t know about the 1893, but if you are just looking for a shooter and don’t care about collectibles; Dicks, had the marlin 336 with a scope on sale for $319. I went and looked at them and they looked pretty decent for the money.

I had never heard of them until I started looking, but EMF (Importer) has 1873 Levers. They are a $$Grand on their website and $900 on GB. I’m curious to see one because at that kind of money they must be either extremely high quality or an importer is dreaming. :D

Guest gcrookston

I've owned a couple of 73's over the years, a 32-20 and a 44-40. I confess, I never shot them. Though I did shoot my 50-110 1886... about 3 times in 15 years... It wasn't much fun.

As the original 73 never chambered 357/38, I suppose it would be keeping in the tradition of it having been chambered in handgun rounds. I'd go with what you like. 20" or 24", whatever would be your preference.

dsc000764en.th.jpg

Guest ETS_Inc

I used to own a Puma '92, in .357. That little rifle was about as accurate as you could want. I'd take it to the outdoor range and crack canteloupes @ 100 yards all day long.

(FYI, ASP in Joelton has a new Puma 92 in stock, ready for adoption. I was handling it earlier, having fond flashbacks to my own Puma-ownership days.)

My first rifle was a Marlin 336, chambered in .30-30, and I've had another one in the years since then. I have a fondness for the Marlin lever guns. They are so handy, and absolutely perfect for brush hunting, and for leaving in a truck.

• 1 year later...
Guest Papa T

I shoot with the two Henry's ( Big Boy and .22), but for pure joy you can't beat an AMERICAN made Winchester 94', all of the Wincehester pre-china models are fine weapons, but that's just my opinion. I've had the 30-30, 32-40 and 38-45 Model 94's over the years and you can't beat em', and wish I still have all of them. The only one I have left is the 38-45 because It will drop just about anything but an Elephant, might do that too if yer a good shot and get off enough rounds!<><>RD

Edited by Papa T
had more to say
Guest 1817ak47

I personaly would rather have a lever action to reload than the handel on a bolt action rifle to reload. something about lever action is more appealing to me instead of hte turned down bolt lever on most bolt actions

• 1 month later...

A vote here for the tried and true universal brush gun, the Marlin 30-30s. A friend is about to help me reload some. At a cheaper per round price, I'm sure I'll like mine even more.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

A vote here for the tried and true universal brush gun, the Marlin 30-30s. A friend is about to help me reload some. At a cheaper per round price, I'm sure I'll like mine even more.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

I finally found a Marlin 1894 in .357 about 3 months ago. It's surely a joy!

- OS

A vote for the 336 Marlin. I love that rifle but admit it sits in the case most of the time until now. The sights kept it there but I had the receiver d&t so I could use the rec sights and the Williams fire ring apature. Changed out front also to fiber optic and what a change! I can see again. Could use a scope but wanted to keep it light and fast for brush gun.

I could be opening up a can of worms but I'm trying the Hornady Leverevolution. Finally got some at Cabelas but haven't shot any yet. They warn you that the follower may have to be changed in your rifle first. I called Marlin and they say no but I'm leary as I've been told by several to change it over to the new "orange" with dimple. Anyone on this?

A huge vote for the Marlin 1895 GG

... I called Marlin and they say no but I'm leary as I've been told by several to change it over to the new "orange" with dimple. Anyone on this?...

I read a thread on Marlin fourum re that; seems everyone has "heard" that the first Hornady LE touching follower "can" jam with old follower, nobody responding in thread had had it happen.

- OS