Need help with AR scope options

Guest 435

I just bought a new Doublestar M4 from buds. It is the flat top with no carry handle. I already have a long range scope picked out and a base.

What I am looking for suggestions on is a tactical/hunting scope. Maybe a red dot?

My woods are thick. I have 20 acres that are thick with my longest shot being 70 yards.

What would be a good mix of a 60 yard or less hunting scope and a closer range tactical scope? I was thinking a 1x or 2x red dot on the cheap.

Thanks

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Glocked-N-Loaded

Primary Arms M3 or M4. I have the PA M3 and absolutely love it, it is 1x. Also, look into the TruGlo 2x42 red dot, I like it alot for the price, and the Bushnell Trophy 1x32.

Edited by Glocked-N-Loaded

I'd go with an Aimpoint. I have the M2 on my defensive rifle. I am toying with the Trijicon RMR I bought for it but I may put the Aimpoint back on b/c the RMR is 9 MOA. The amber dot is bright outdoors but is HUGE. I'm not sure how it will do on targets past 200 yards.

1282932455.jpg

With Aimpoint

1275171172.jpg

I just bought one of the Primary Arms M4 red dots. For the money it seems pretty good, It certainly isn't the aimpoint, but it was only 89.00 and they shipped quick and it arrived quick.

Edited by Raoul
Vortex strikefire. Comes with mount, 2x magnifier, and has a lifetime warranty. For $150 you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal.

I have an Aimpoint M3 and an Eotech 512, but have read a lot of good things about the Strikefire- the waranty is hard to beat as well.

I currently have the 4 power ACOG on my MP15T. I think that would be a little over kill for 70 yards. I have been thinking of trying out the Trijicon RX34 with the 4.5 dot. Not sure I am sold on an amber dot though. I have not looked at one in person. Given all my shot with the AR will most likely be 100 yard are closer I think it will work well. LA_357SIG- any issues with wash out on the amber dot? I like you RMR set up.

LA_357SIG- any issues with wash out on the amber dot? I like you RMR set up.

I couldn't get it to wash out in any of my tests. It did wash out looking directly into the sun though.:devil: It is BRIGHT out in the sunlight. But like the Trijicon reflex II I had the blue tint does make it bothersome to use indoors in low light unless you keep both eyes open.

• 4 weeks later...
I just bought one of the Primary Arms M4 red dots. For the money it seems pretty good, It certainly isn't the aimpoint, but it was only 89.00 and they shipped quick and it arrived quick.

Me too, based on rave reviews from a lot of folks. I agree that it's not an Aimpoint. Quality not as good, reticle choices much better. Holds zero and won't break.

Comes set up for lower 1/3 cowitness with your iron sights, and uses a AA battery.

IMG_0465a.jpg

I run a Sightmark 1.5-5x30 scope on one rifle and a Millet DMS-1 1-4x24 scope on another. Both are great for close range and 100-150 yards. I like the Millet doughnut reticle a little better (plus it's illuminated if you want), but the Sightmark has a huge field of view and great eye relief.

Mount either one in a Burris P.E.P.R. mount and you'll be happy. The PEPR mount's are excellent for AR's and allow you to get a flip up rear sight tucked underneath if you wish.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

+1 for the Primary Arms M4 2MOA red dot. I purchased it Friday November 12th and it arrived in two postal service delivery days. Last week I searched the forum and this thread convinced me to purchase it.

So, Thanks... I am very happy with it.

Edited by D3vo
+1 for the Primary Arms M4 2MOA red dot. I purchased it Friday November 12th and it arrived in two postal service delivery days. Last week I searched the forum and this thread convinced me to purchase it.

So, Thanks... I am very happy with it.

kb4ns got a bad one. They replaced it promptly, and I think he's happy now. I'm still tickled with mine. The rifle has changed a little, but still sporting the M4...

IMG_0476a.jpg

I run a Sightmark 1.5-5x30 scope on one rifle and a Millet DMS-1 1-4x24 scope on another. Both are great for close range and 100-150 yards. I like the Millet doughnut reticle a little better (plus it's illuminated if you want), but the Sightmark has a huge field of view and great eye relief.

Mount either one in a Burris P.E.P.R. mount and you'll be happy. The PEPR mount's are excellent for AR's and allow you to get a flip up rear sight tucked underneath if you wish.

Good luck!

Thanks, I was thinking of picking up the DMS-1 and now I'm sold on it!

Good luck!

+1 for the P.E.P.R. It will handle anything you put on the rifle.

• 1 month later...
How do you like it?

I am no optics expert, but I think the clarity is great and I caught it on sale for 69.00 last month.

The standard mount that comes with the magnifier lines up with the red dot.

In this picture I have the red dot on the quad rail, but I managed to get both on the flat top.