Anyone into ATVs?

56FordGuy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many miles are a lot on one? I have no experience with them.

I need something to use around the farm, spraying fences and pulling firewood with. I'd like a 4x4. I may have the chance to buy an '02 Honda 400 ES 4x4 with 2000 miles, and ITP wheels on it. Anything in particular I should check or look at?

What kind are you gonna buy?

Not real sure. I may be able to get a Honda (see above post), depends on what the first guy in line decides. I should know by Tuesday. If it doesn't work out, I really don't have a preference. Something that I can still get parts for in a few years.

Guest Tusculum

I also prefer Hondas. I have a 1991 300 TRX 4X4 I bought new. I have put 3 batteries 2 spark plugs and 1 set of tires in 20 yrs. (believe it or not). I have been to Cumberland County deer hunting with it. I have rode that nasty atv trail in Erwin. Hauled or pulled many tons of firewood with it. It still runs as good as it always did. Yamahas,Suzukis, are probably just as good, as my youngest son raced these things until he developed at 21 years old the spine of a 60 yr old. He just bought a 13,000.00 KTMSX when his back went out so now it just sits in the basement, Anyway its all in how you take care of them and dont expect them to work like a 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins or a John Deere 4400. This is my OPO.

...dont expect them to work like a 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins or a John Deere 4400. This is my OPO.

Nah, I'd hope that my ATV ran well at least 30-40% of the time, with parts that weren't gold plated. :D:p

Seriously, I have a couple of bigger tractors to do heavier work with. I just need something that I can get down smaller trails and into spots that the other stuff can't get to as easily.

I have two Polaris quads. One is a Scrambler 500 4X4 and the other is a Trail Boss 325. I am not sure what a lot of miles on one is. Neither of mine have odometers.

The Scrambler is a death machine, bad fast. And I have never seen a trail it could not go up. The only downside on it is the lack of a low gear. The 325 is a nice rider. Both of them can do work. I have drug and hauled a lot of stuff around in the woods with the Scrambler. Both are automatics.

If you are getting one mainly to work with make sure it has a low gear in it. And I would also stay away from a two stroke motor. If headlights are important make sure they are not molded into the body but rather on the shaft the handlebars are on. That way you can better see as you turn. I also recommend racks on the front and rear. They are great for utility and also act as a roll bar(sort of) if you ever flip one. I know the racks on the Scrambler saved my butt from more serious injury one time.

There have been lots of improvements in the things lately, since mine were made. Power steering, independent rear suspension. Both great features.

My wife uses a Kubota RTV with hydraulic dump bed and it is about 48 inches wide with a roll cage and she drags rocks off the mountain that are to big to pick up with the tractor for building her retaining wall. It is not fast but a work horse and two can ride side by side with a 4X4 bed and towing ability.

I gave those things up when they put that fourth wheel on them and never looked back. It just wasn't the same for me anymore. I have been thinking about another one lately mostly to use for work around the house. Back when I rode it was all for fun and recreation.

I can see how they'd be handy. I am not a farmer, however, so the old four wheeler serves my needs fine. i can strap a treestand on the back, a deer on the front, and I'm good to go. For gardening chores, I have one of those plastic dump bed trailers to hook behind it.

I've looked at the Mule/ Gator types, and I just don't care for them. I want to strap a sprayer on the back, and the potential firewood hauling will probably just be dragging short logs up to where I can put them in the truck, not actual split firewood. Probably.

I should find out tomorrow if the Honda sold.

Guest countryfirecracker

I like Honda and Polaris. I ride a yamaha dirt bike and have grown up on four wheelers and dirt bikes. In my opinion I think honda and Polaris are great for four wheelers. But yamaha for a dirt bike. (throwing that in there regardless of the topic)

My grandpa swears by his Polaris when he goes huntin cause he has a gun case and stuff on his set up for huntin and his is an older model too it's maybe 18yrs old and it still runs like a champ, although the speedometer is not working anymore but o well. Where as my uncle swears by his Honda for his huntin needs and his has lasted through some tough stuff. I think it's going to be a personal preference. Go look at some and see what you like. Find someone who is selling a good used one and go test ride it!! I found a great Honda dirt bike on craigslist for sale along time ago and it needed some work but it was cheap and I did the work myself! But you can check craigslist for people willing to trade. Also you can find certain hook ups you can buy for four wheelers for haulin stuff.

I have a Honda Rancher and love it. I had a Honda 300 before that and loved it also. You can really go wrong with a Honda but Yamaha makes a reliable machine too. I had a Sportsman 700 and it was a nightmare, brakes needed changing every 10 rides (600mi?), oil changes too an hour because you had to remove a bunch of panels. I sold it pretty quick. I do a lot of "real" offroading and my only repair items on my Hondas have been wheel bearings for the front. Just check the Honda for leaks, tears in in boots, and take it on a thorough test drive.