14 Days Cold Turkey

willis68

I have been a smoker for over 26 years, my wife and children have all begged me to quit and I kept promising them that I would. I considered Hypnotism, and several stop smoking drugs,

what it boiled down to though was Cold Turkey, I have not cheated, used chewing tobacco or anything, not even gum this has been the hardest thing I have ever done but the cravings have STOPPED, food tastes better to me and I have a new sense of smell.

I can honestly say that I am DONE with nicotine, if any of you are trying to quit, just stop Cold Turkey that is the only thing that has ever worked for me. the 8th day was the worse I thought I would loose my mind. In all honesty I already feel a heck of a lot better,

Sorry for the rant :bowrofl:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Glock23ForMe

Honestly, one of my really good friends I used to work with quit Cold Turkey...

After about a week or so, he begged the guy I shared an office with for a smoke... The other guy being a smoker, obliged, and I walked outside with the guy that was supposed to be quitting and said, "Johnny, try this for me..."

I took his lighter and just told him to place the cigarette between his lips. Not light it or anything, and let his mind do the rest.. He stood there for about 4 minutes just holding it in his mouth.. Said that it was just like he was smoking, but there was no nicotine inhalation or anything, just his mind reproducing the feeling he had felt for years.

If something bad happens, we all hope it won't and STAY STRONG... Just try this little trick.. It worked for him.

Good Luck!!! You'll do great! If you need to tear into anyone anytime in the future, I'll get on the chat and let you rant... :bowrofl:

Take one for the team.. :bowrofl:

Once Again, Good Luck, Stay Strong, and do your best!

Guest Glock23ForMe
You, sir, are an inspiration. :bowrofl:

Now if we could only get rid of that "GO BUCKEYES!!!!" nastiness that is in his sig line and put a POWER T.

One step at a time, I guess.. :bowrofl:

Steve, all the people that I know that have quit and stayed quit did it the same way you did. I know two people who were 30+ year smokers and just decided one day that they had enough and just stopped and never picked them up again. Congrats man and if you ever need anything (besides smokes :D) you know where I am.

Good job Brother! January 6th is 5 years for me. I used the patches rather than going it cold, but it still ain't a walk in the park. If I never do anything else worthwhile in my life, I can still look back on quitting the cigs & be proud.Be warned, however. The first & second week is tough, real tough & it gets easier after that,but beware the 3-month monkey. After a while you'll get the urge, but not the craving, to 'Just have the one'. FIGHT IT like you've never fought before. The bastard got me twice before I finally managed to overcome my own mind & that was possibly the toughest part of all. Not getting over needing to smoke, but getting over wanting to smoke.Stick with it though, it's definately worth the effort!I take my hat off you.

p.s. If this is your first time trying to quit, don't be ashamed if you don't manage it. I'm sure you will, you've made it this far, (My first attempt 'cold' I lasted 4 days & got into 2 fist-fights!) but there is no shame at all in not getting it on your first attempt. In all honesty, it strengthens your resolve & prepares you for the second attempt. You know how it'll feel & how it'll affect you & you can mentally prepare yourself much more easily.

Steve, all the people that I know that have quit and stayed quit did it the same way you did. I know two people who were 30+ year smokers and just decided one day that they had enough and just stopped and never picked them up again. Congrats man and if you ever need anything (besides smokes :D) you know where I am.

:D

Good job Brother! January 6th is 5 years for me. I used the patches rather than going it cold, but it still ain't a walk in the park. If I never do anything else worthwhile in my life, I can still look back on quitting the cigs & be proud.Be warned, however. The first & second week is tough, real tough & it gets easier after that,but beware the 3-month monkey. After a while you'll get the urge, but not the craving, to 'Just have the one'. FIGHT IT like you've never fought before. The bastard got me twice before I finally managed to overcome my own mind & that was possibly the toughest part of all. Not getting over needing to smoke, but getting over wanting to smoke.Stick with it though, it's definately worth the effort!I take my hat off you.

p.s. If this is your first time trying to quit, don't be ashamed if you don't manage it. I'm sure you will, you've made it this far, (My first attempt 'cold' I lasted 4 days & got into 2 fist-fights!) but there is no shame at all in not getting it on your first attempt. In all honesty, it strengthens your resolve & prepares you for the second attempt. You know how it'll feel & how it'll affect you & you can mentally prepare yourself much more easily.

I know what you mean, but I actually stopped for nearly 3 years before, it was much easier back then though. I am just to a point in my life where it bothered me when I realized just how much I was addicted to them, that pissed me off and with the fact that my family has been begging me to stop I honestly know that I am done with them it is a very liberating feeling one that in my case is more mental than physical I honestly never want to smoke again and that for me is the whole battle

Guest Tusculum

You should be very proud of yourself. Im 56 and started at 15. Quit one time about 10 years ago for about 9 months. I was chewing a box of nicorette a week but wasnt smoking. Some guys from the trailer park about a mile from me decided to go up to the big wood house on the hill and see what they could steal. (Not that big of a house but big to them). They got 22 long guns and 5 or six pistols. I figured around 25,000.00 worth of guns and some money. Anyway my nerves got the best of me. Started back and havent quit since. Ill probably be buried with a pack in my pocket, Just in case! Good Luck to you and Im sure your family is very proud of you. My wife and both boys were proud of me.

Guest mosinon

Crap, that three month monkey has got me three times, and I only realized it because you articulated it! Now I'm going to try again.

...beware the 3-month monkey. After a while you'll get the urge, but not the craving, to 'Just have the one'. FIGHT IT like you've never fought before. The bastard got me twice before I finally managed to overcome my own mind & that was possibly the toughest part of all. Not getting over needing to smoke, but getting over wanting to smoke.

Yep, that ****** ****** got me the first time I quit. The second time I quit smoking by using smokeless tobacco (dip). I thought dip would be easier to quit than smoking was. I didn't realize that it delivers something like 3 times the amount of nicotine to the body that cigarettes do. Now I'm still trying to drop the dip habit. :)

Best of luck in your quitting journey, Willis!

Congrats on your new smoke free life! Best decision you'll ever make.

I quit cold turkey 6 yrs ago this coming Oct. No regrets here. No more hacking up nasty stuff...constant coughing etc And instead of bronchitis and colds every weather change...I'm lucky if I get so much as a common cold once every year or even two.

Again, congrats! And here's to your continued success.

When I stopped years ago, packs were still under 2 bucks a pack, but they were going up. I quit thinking I'd be a lot richer. Well, I haven't smoked in years but, for some reason, I don't seem to be any richer, money wise anyway.

It came down to the decision of who is in control of yourself. The cigs or yourself. Once I had that thought, it was all over with.

Edit and doh ( :doh:)...............CONGRATS ON QUITTING. Lots more reasons not to smoke than to smoke