Know of a trustworthy mechanic in the Nashville / Hermitage area?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mustangdave

hey DM....how old is the car? The newer the car the more COMPUTER crapola that goes into it....if its an older car you're better off getting a Haynes manual. for the newer cars I have a "trusted" FIRESTONE Center I use...for older cars I know a brother in my church that is "old school"...PM me.

I would be happy to do the tuneup for you, but it depends on the make/model. For example - I don't do Volkswagons... at all. Ever. :D I do most any Toyota/Honda/Nissan/etc... and many, many more.

Guest bigbovine

What do you want in your tuneup? What is your make and model. The work is very easy to do. PM me with details. If you want a "pro" to do it i got some one you can see, otherwise I may be able to, time permitting.

Not to knock the OP, but sometimes it amazes me the amount of folks that are clueless about cars. I do all of my maintenance on all my cars. However it is my hobby.

I honestly think that in a lot of instances, oil changes and simple tune-ups, that if folks knew what was involved, they would honestly do all the work themselves, especially considering the difference in cost.

Props to the folks on the board that understand and are willing to help. I am confident that any of you would be much cheaper than a shop, and perform the same quality of work.

Again not to knock it, my wife is a drive it and forget it kind too, but she has me to take care of the cars. I just never really understood the whole idea of paying someone else to work on my car. The only way I know I can trust the work is to do it myself.

Again, it is my hobby.

Sorry to derail the thread.

I also need a reliable mechanic in the Hermitage area. My 2004 Chevy Blazer did not pass emissions testing. Said it was running to lean. Has almost 200,000 miles on it and has never had a tune up ( that might be the problem)

However it is my hobby.

Yep. I appreciate folks with your type of skills. And as far as you not understanding why I don't know how to tune up my car, maybe I can help. We are all alloted a certain amount of time a day to devote to learning something. You enjoy working on cars, so you took the time to learn how to maintain them. With the alloted time I have to learn things, I have dedicated myself to learning first aid. I sometimes think the same way as you. And not to knock you, but I think to myself "It amazes me that folks are clueless about sewing up their own wounds", or "It amazes me that folks don't know how to treat a sucking chest wound". Well that was a bit dramatic, but you get the point. Plus, I like feeling like a bad ass when some little kid gets a nasty cut at a soccer game and I whip out my FAK and cure his booboo.

It's about deciding what is more important to you. I just don't have enough time to learn about cars, it just seems like a lot to learn.

P.S. "Not to Knock" is code word for "Bless his heart". :tough:

What kind of car is it, and what symptoms/ problems make you want to get it tuned up?

If none of the above options work out, I can probably help.

The car is a 2001 Honda Accord.

No symptoms, car runs just fine. We just haven't had it tuned up in a long time. I'm essentially looking to do the maintenance required for 90k miles.

Yep. I appreciate folks with your type of skills. And as far as you not understanding why I don't know how to tune up my car, maybe I can help. We are all alloted a certain amount of time a day to devote to learning something. You enjoy working on cars, so you took the time to learn how to maintain them. With the alloted time I have to learn things, I have dedicated myself to learning first aid. I sometimes think the same way as you. And not to knock you, but I think to myself "It amazes me that folks are clueless about sewing up their own wounds", or "It amazes me that folks don't know how to treat a sucking chest wound". Well that was a bit dramatic, but you get the point. Plus, I like feeling like a bad ass when some little kid gets a nasty cut at a soccer game and I whip out my FAK and cure his booboo.

It's about deciding what is more important to you. I just don't have enough time to learn about cars, it just seems like a lot to learn.

P.S. "Not to Knock" is code word for "Bless his heart". :D

+1000....very mature response...I would NOT have been so nice...

I don't work on cars either....:tough:

When the warranty runs out....they are traded...lol

By the way, good luck on finding a mechanic.

P.S. "Not to Knock" is code word for "Bless his heart". :P

That put a smile on my face.

I completely understand about not having enough time. Everyone must prioritize, and for many, an automobile comes at the bottom. With today's technology it is completely understandable. I didn't mean to come off condescending, I am sorry that wasn't clear.

The point I was trying to make, and maybe I was off on it a bit, first, I can't understand why cars are viewed like Rube Goldberg contraptions. A tune up or an oil change are about as simple as you can get. It wasn't so much as 'not knowing how' but more of the mentality; and forgive my assumption; of cars being black magic. Much like IT is (my field in a round about way.) The other is how much money folks throw away at garages; not all are crooks, but frankly IMO many charge way too much; for something that costs many times less than a third of what they paid.

I appreciate that there are folks that have no desire to learn how to work on a car. There are hobbies out there that I just have zero interest in as well.

I applaud you taking care of your car, it is a tool, and any tool needs to be maintained, I just, I don't know, I find peace and pleasure in working on a car. I know how it works, and it is doesn't work right, it is nice to be able to make it work right.

And to the 'not to knock' equating to 'bless his heart,' well, I never saw it that way, but I do now. ;)

And to the 'not to knock' equating to 'bless his heart,' well, I never saw it that way, but I do now. ;)

HAHA! I'm just messing with you dude.

And no I didn't get offended, I've learned to take everything I read on forums at face value. I've gotten myself worked up before just because I read something wrong. It's hard to tell what people mean when there is no facial expression, and no tone of voice. No biggie man.

And yes, I view cars like some kind of magical contraption. I just sit in the damn thing and push the gas. It's a damn mystery to me how the thing works. I have no idea why. I think my Dad passed it down to me, and I'm sure I'll pass it down to my Son. I think it has a lot to do with how our brains are wired. Which I find extremely interesting. We've all got some knack or talent.

That put a smile on my face.

I completely understand about not having enough time. Everyone must prioritize, and for many, an automobile comes at the bottom. With today's technology it is completely understandable. I didn't mean to come off condescending, I am sorry that wasn't clear.

The point I was trying to make, and maybe I was off on it a bit, first, I can't understand why cars are viewed like Rube Goldberg contraptions. A tune up or an oil change are about as simple as you can get. It wasn't so much as 'not knowing how' but more of the mentality; and forgive my assumption; of cars being black magic. Much like IT is (my field in a round about way.) The other is how much money folks throw away at garages; not all are crooks, but frankly IMO many charge way too much; for something that costs many times less than a third of what they paid.

I appreciate that there are folks that have no desire to learn how to work on a car. There are hobbies out there that I just have zero interest in as well.

I applaud you taking care of your car, it is a tool, and any tool needs to be maintained, I just, I don't know, I find peace and pleasure in working on a car. I know how it works, and it is doesn't work right, it is nice to be able to make it work right.

And to the 'not to knock' equating to 'bless his heart,' well, I never saw it that way, but I do now. :P

Wow!...another very mature response! Are there some GREAT people on TGO or what!!!! +1000 to both of you!

Amazing how grown ups can disagree and see each others points without arguing and acting like children....;)

Even emoticons don't properly convey tone, inflection and emotion in a post. As such, I have learned as well to take things at face value. Plus if you get mad at every little thing, you don't really get a chance to understand what someone meant. If you immediately go on the offensive or defensive it serves no point, and the conversation, and thus the chance at learning are over.

As for learning to work on cars, when I was a youth, I was very hard on them, and I knew nothing about them. I was still in highschool I believe when I went through a handful of cars literally at the pace of once a month. It got expensive very fast on a budget that just wasn't getting bigger. Bagging groceries and swinging a hammer didn't exactly afford me all the things I wanted. So, I began the long and painful journey of fixing them instead of scrapping them. There were times when that wasn't cheaper, but now, it paid off.

I honestly hope you find someone local, on the forum, and not a shop to help you. A tune up will take an afternoon of your time, and a little bit of change. If I am not mistaken your owner's manual will have a list of the manufacturer's suggested maintenance at XXXXX miles. For 90k it might be a bit more involved that just plugs, wires, cap rotor, and some filters. You might need to flush your tranny and radiator, grease some fittings. One of the neater things as cars get newer is the amount of parts that don't need replacing for normal wear and tear. Again, a local honest 'friend' will be a much better option than paying a shop to do it, fellowship is better too.