Online vs In Store

Fyrguy

What are thoughts about online purchase (budsgunshop.com, gunbroker.com, etc.) versus actually buying from a brick & mortar store? If you know what you want and can get the pistol cheaper (by quite a bit), do you still shop in person to support the local business or just go with the best deal?

I'm looking at a couple of small pocket guns and can find both online for anywhere from $50 to $100 cheaper online vs. the store(s). However, after transfer fees, they can sometimes be about the same price.

Thoughts? Pros/Cons?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest strelcevina

Personally I don't like buying stuff online.

But sadly few more years there will be no more brick and mortar stores .

Maybe one mall per county . Just for new generation of kids can see how we used to buy stuff .

I've bought several firearms online in the past two years. Just have to figure in the shipping, and tranfer fee, sometimes those together are cheaper than sales tax if the gun is near the same price. Then there is some you aren't going to find in your area, like some of the older ones, like an older Winchester I found about a month back. But I'm about saving money, and some deals are better online and some are not. I like helping the locals, but they just don't always have the best deals. I found a dealer near me that will do tranfers for 10.00 bucks and that helps too. just my two cents.

Guest FiddleDog

I think that finding the 'right gun' is a lot like finding the right pair of jeans. You can anticipate a degree of quality and reliability based upon brand...but only a few brands. There are a lot of very well made firearms that don't get the same press that you may overlook. Finding the right fit for your hand may require that you actually rent the weapon in question and put a couple of hundred rounds through them. Lots of folks that have 2 pistols got those 2 pistols by buying 10 and selling 8 of them. Pretty expensive endeavor. It's probably why you see a whole lot of full priced used guns on a number of sites that only boast a savings of tax and BG check online.

If you know what you're looking for, you will probably save a little. If you're looking for the perfect EDC...buying site unseen can be an excellent way to buy the wrong gun. For some giggles, google search the phrase "I bought the wrong gun" and peruse for a bit.

I think that finding the 'right gun' is a lot like finding the right pair of jeans. You can anticipate a degree of quality and reliability based upon brand...but only a few brands. There are a lot of very well made firearms that don't get the same press that you may overlook. Finding the right fit for your hand may require that you actually rent the weapon in question and put a couple of hundred rounds through them. Lots of folks that have 2 pistols got those 2 pistols by buying 10 and selling 8 of them. Pretty expensive endeavor. It's probably why you see a whole lot of full priced used guns on a number of sites that only boast a savings of tax and BG check online.

If you know what you're looking for, you will probably save a little. If you're looking for the perfect EDC...buying site unseen can be an excellent way to buy the wrong gun. For some giggles, google search the phrase "I bought the wrong gun" and peruse for a bit.

For sure. I did a good amount of homework on what I was after before using GB.

What are thoughts about online purchase (budsgunshop.com, gunbroker.com, etc.) versus actually buying from a brick & mortar store? If you know what you want and can get the pistol cheaper (by quite a bit), do you still shop in person to support the local business or just go with the best deal?

I'm looking at a couple of small pocket guns and can find both online for anywhere from $50 to $100 cheaper online vs. the store(s). However, after transfer fees, they can sometimes be about the same price.

Thoughts? Pros/Cons?

If they are the same price after fees, then I would buy local. I have bought several guns online (Bud's was one of them) and will continue to do so in the future if the deal is good enough. However, my preference is always local. Being on a first name basis with your gun dealer I think has it positives.

The benefits online are this: Cheaper price and availability of firearms not found locally. The benefits of brick and mortar: A location to take something back if there is an issue (depending on store policy) get it today, not a week or so later, get to look at, touch, and hold the firearm before purchase, easier to buy accessories and get knowledgeable staff responses.

So. If you know exactly what you want and can get it online for less (including the transfer fees) than your B&M shop, go that route. If you want more customer service, go local shop...

Guest strelcevina
Strel, where do you come up with this stuff?

predicting a future ;)

Walmart is killing off small business to extinction . One big mall like oprymills is killing other malls ,

Online shopping is killing off rest of brick and mortar industry .

So my prediction for Nashville future is . Oprymill mall , 4 Walmart "one per each side of town "

And fast-food places.

Only issue I have with on-line purchasing is the transfer fees charged by the local FFL, which usually negate the savings of on-line purchasing. $50 seems to be the going rate in Memphis, plus $10 for the TICS check.

I will buy from a local shop if the price isn't MSRP. I figure the shop has to make money so paying more for a firearm + tax and TICS isn't that big for me. I do buy firearms (cleaning supplies and stuff I need ASAP) from The Great Outdoor Store in Jackson at thier asking price because they do try to take care of thier regulars.

Now accessories is another story. There are some crazy deals out there.

simple.......if the store has it for a reasonable price I go local,but if the seller is out of line I go

to Buds.......I have done both and it seems some brands are just as well priced locally and some not

Online sales are tough to beat..I got my SIG for 150 bucks cheaper than local through Buds,No brainer

predicting a future ;)

Walmart is killing off small business to extinction . One big mall like oprymills is killing other malls ,

So my prediction for Nashville future is . Oprymill mall , 4 Walmart "one per each side of town "

And fast-food places.

I think you're being a little pessimistic. Some folks go out of their way to spend their money with local business, and for good reasons. Kids are kids, but they turn into adults.

I prefer to buy from a local dealer, but in the Knoxville area, the selection is pretty minimal and the prices are generally high. The stores I go to are packed the rafters with Glocks and AR-15 rifles. If you want anything else, your selection is very limited. I have asked local shops to get me prices on guns, but they either never call back, or they want far more than what an online dealer will cost me.

The only problem is if you buy it online is if you have trouble with the gun, You alone have to get warranty service.

My nephew got a Taurus online and it was a pain to get it right, At least if you buy local the gun shop will help.

I have only bought used guns online when I cant find it locally. And that was only once, and Buds was very easy to deal with.

Most of my new gun purchases are from Bud's. Secondhand guns, I prefer F2F, or local shops. The only local shop I use has a range, and they get my money through membership fees, ammo and target sales, and transfer fees. If I decide that I'd like to take a chance on Taurus, I'll buy from a local big box store, because they'll eat the shipping fee if I need to send it in for service.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
predicting a future ;)

And fast-food places.

People have been saying this for 30 years.

Guest Guy N. Cognito

Keep shopping for your guns online if you want to insure that your local gunshops fail. Me? I'll spend a few extra bucks for convenience, selection and immediate personal service.

Guest strelcevina
People have been saying this for 30 years.

What??????

How did u come on that stantment please.

Oprymills mall is 10 years old . And since it opened 100 oaks mall , Bellevue mall and hickory hollow mall. Died fast and painfully dead.

Online shopping is 10years old to . And it is rising fast.

And in last 10 years Wal-Mart/samsclub slowly killed off Kmart, circuit city , ,comp usa and so many small business .

U must be living isolated and don't see what is going on in the real world .

It reminds me on Paris Hilton . She said what's Walmart ? O that's hot ;) lol

Guest spoolie

What? Are we a instant gratification society now? Any of your local gun shops can order any gun and you can have it within a week...instead of Internet. I just had dave at d&t order me a smith I could have got on line....but I'll support my local shops!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Guest mosinon
Personally I don't like buying stuff online.

But sadly few more years there will be no more brick and mortar stores .

Maybe one mall per county . Just for new generation of kids can see how we used to buy stuff .

Stel that is crazy talk. People love to actually buy crap at a store. Note how the Gateway computer stores worked compared to the Apple stores. Note that target is growing faster than wal mart. Brick and mortar will always be around, it is in our DNA. Well, not mine, but my wifes.

Edited by mosinon