Remington 700 Unintentional fire?

iyaoyas98

DaveTN

I haven't seen the show. I did a lot of reading some time back. What I'm sayin', I can't go back and recontruct my conclusion, so take it with a grain of salt. Here's one of the things I read that places no blame on Remington. It actually gives the original 700 trigger some high marks. They built so many of those rifles that there may not be a "right" conclusion. If some went out the door in an unsafe condition, it's still a miniscule percentage of the total number of rifles. You be the judge. I'm not a Remington hater. I've used their rifles since I was a kid.

New Bolt Action Hunting Rifle Trigger Mechanisms

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last of all, i dont believe that Toytotas run off by themselves (...i got one myself...).Leroy

I agree with almost everything you said, but yes they do. It's a very small percentage of the total number of cars. Same basic question. There's a failsafe missing somewhere. Is there an acceptable percentage?

...I agree with almost everything you said, but yes they do. It's a very small percentage of the total number of cars. Same basic question. There's a failsafe missing somewhere. Is there an acceptable percentage? ....

I bet if ya got one that runs off and will do it reliably you have a good case with the tort trash. I'm a bit skeptical though; kinda like the crows in the great classic disney movie "Dumbo". "...I've heard a diamond ring and ive seen a backporch swing. But i aint never seen an elephant fly!!"... Could be it's just me. By the way, there is a built in "failsafe'. Its called the ignition switch. Turn off when it runs off.

Leroy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ns08C_ntsw

Edited by leroy
I bet if ya got one that runs off and will do it reliably you have a good case with the tort trash. I'm a bit skeptical though; kinda like the crows in the great classic disney movie "Dumbo". "...I've heard a diamond ring and ive seen a backporch swing. But i aint never seen an elephant fly!!"... Could be it's just me. By the way, there is a built in "failsafe'. Its called the ignition switch. Turn off when it runs off.

Leroy

I absolutely HATE the tort trash, so much that I didn't sue someone that deserved it. Sure, I think I could stop a car that runs off under normal circumstances. I'm not talking about lawsuits. That's a plague on our society. I'm talking about product that can just up and kill somebody.

I absolutely HATE the tort trash, so much that I didn't sue someone that deserved it. Sure, I think I could stop a car that runs off under normal circumstances. I'm not talking about lawsuits. That's a plague on our society. I'm talking about product that can just up and kill somebody.

I understand. By the way; watch the UTube clip; it's great!

Leroy

Edited by leroy
cant spell nothin!! pooey!!

Even if the gun is malfunctioning I don't see how anyone could get killed or injured as long as you're following all the rules of gun safety.

This video has nothing to do with Remington but Milton Friedman does make an excellent point regarding the profit motive and public safety.

I agree with almost everything you said, but yes they do. It's a very small percentage of the total number of cars. Same basic question. There's a failsafe missing somewhere. Is there an acceptable percentage?

From my past experience in the auto industry, the answer to your question is yes. It's a complicated situation with many, many variables. Whether we want to admit it or not, it all comes down to the bottom line. At the end of the day, settling a few lawsuits may cost the company less than fixing the root cause.

Remington's dissection of the CNBC story:

The Shooter's Log

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YFIwoZsWHk&feature=player_embedded

The story is starting to have an effect on police deptartments:

Remington Model 700 Rifle Dropped by Portland, Maine Police | NewsInferno

"The department's chief told local media that he decided to take the rifles out of service after he saw the CNBC report, and that prior to its airing, he was unaware that the rifle had been the subject of so many complaints. The Portland Police Department also contacted Remington about the problem but was told the weapons were no longer under warranty, USA Today said.

The Portland Police Department is not the only agency to have experienced problems with the Remington Model 700 rifle, USA Today said. The police department in Kissimmee, FL, sold its 700s after one inadvertently went off during a drug raid in 2005. The national police force of New Zealand has also stopped using the rifles because of safety concerns.

Inadvertent discharges of rifles at the Marine sniper training school at Camp Lejeune, NC also led to a meeting between corps officials and Remington. Eventually, the Marine Corps changed procedures for handling the rifles, USA Today said."

Remington's dissection of the CNBC story:

Thanks, that’s a compelling rebuttal.

The fact that some Police Departments have decided to stop using Remington rifles based on the MSNBC reports shows me that Remington has suffered a loss because of their report.

That’s raises the question “Does a TV network have protection from a lawsuit if it can be proven that they intentionally left out evidence just to make a product look bad?â€

:D

guys this gun has been around since the late 40's and when you saturate the market with a product you are going to have a few bad apples. Have we seen this problem since we've been in business, yes but only one,and it was used before we got it, is it an easy fix.. again yes. My opinion is the safety is safe until you start monkeying with it.

If im grabbing a bolt rifle to go out and kill game of hunt bad people the 700 would be one of my 1st choices.

Edited by GLOCKMEISTER
Thanks, that’s a compelling rebuttal.

The fact that some Police Departments have decided to stop using Remington rifles based on the MSNBC reports shows me that Remington has suffered a loss because of their report.

That’s raises the question “Does a TV network have protection from a lawsuit if it can be proven that they intentionally left out evidence just to make a product look bad?â€

:popcorn:

Agreed! We may have yet another retraction of a gun/automobile-related expose by a mainstream news org. It's been quite a while since we've seen one.

Unless CNBC has a reponse to this, I'd say Remington has closed the book. They just need to get some reps out to these knee-jerking PDs. Some free rifles, accessories, dinner ought to sooth their frayed nerves.

• 3 months later...
Guest justinlinkes

the 700 doesn't have the best safety by design and mine has discharged on me more than once with the flip of the safety. most wont with factory settings but some do have enough play in fit to do this. bottom line is the safest safety is a firing pin block like a model 70 has rather than a trigger stop that may or may not have enough play in it to allow a discharge. not downing the 700 cause mine shoots great and its a great action for accuracy but the extractors and safetys suck!

Guest FroggyOne2

I have two Remington barrelled actions.. neither one have a safety on them and they have never had an accidental discharge from closing the bolt and causing a slam fire.. or a out of battery discharge. The trigger I use is in the ounces.

If there's a problem at all, it's in the factory trigger mechanism. My aftermarket trigger is set at 1lb, but can also be adjusted down into ounces without being unsafe. Personally, I wouldn't trust the stock trigger adjusted to those light pull weights. I don't think the tolerances or the design itself would support it.

Guest gunnutt
It's an old issue, but I guess it may have resurfaced. I think Kimber Chick is right. Folks dinkin' with the adjustable trigger. Me... I just put a Jewell on mine and forgot about the stock trigger. 1lb pull, and it never misbehaves.

not every time,my brother-in-law has one and it discharged without him touching it so he dont use it any more,john

Guest Jcochran88

I have dropped mine 20 feet out of a tree stand and it didn't fire and after this report came out I took it to my farm and tried to make it fire without pulling the trigger. It did what it was supposed to do the only time it went bang was when I pulled the trigger.