Safety Warning

Folks, I usualy don't find much to fuss about, but I must post a warning. On my way back from hunting this morning, I stopped at a local gun shop in Clarksville to check and see if by some chance they had some "BLACK" Powder. I was told no, and the owner and his wife both told me that any of the "SMOKELESS" powders used for reloading will work in a muzzleloader. He set a can of H Varget (which I use to load .308 with) on the counter and said he sells alot of this. I went to telling him that's not made for muzzleloaders. I was told that I did not know what I was talking about. I laughed, said "I'll Pass" and I walked out. I wonder how many people new to muzzleloading were sold powder there? Scary!!!!:screwy:

Edited by wd-40
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 100 grain of modern smokeless powder, packed down a M/L barrel and set off with a primer, would virtualy be a pipe bomb! This crap has me fired up! I know better, but how many people don't????

Edited by wd-40
What shop? A couple people calling to tell them they're going to get someone hurt might change their minds.

+1

I did this a while back with our Bass Pro Shop.

On night around 7ish a buddy calls me on the phone and says, "Hey Jason, I am up here at Bass Pro and the guy working in the ammo section is trying to sell me some .45ACP rounds for my .45GAP that I just bought a few days ago. That ain't going to work is it?" I told him that I didn't have any experience with the GAP round, however I did know that is was smaller in length than a .45ACP round and I would not try to switch them around.

I called up to Bass Pro the next day and asked to speak to a manager. I explained to the manager what happened and expressed my feelings towards employees giving out information that isn't accurate, especially in the firearm and ammo sections. He apologized and said he would correct the issue.

Edited by memphismason
Guest BEARMAN
I'm going to contact the ATF and see what's up.

Good move, wd...those folks are gonna get somebody hurt bad...or worse...killed!

ATF will certainly set them straight on the difference. fwiw

Guest clutepc

Wow, that's sad, needs to have ATF shut him down for that one. a mistake is one thing, that's just ignorance in my opinion.

Proves just because someone works at a gun store they don't always know what they are talking about.

It probably says on the can in bold letters not to be used in Muzzleloaders.

Just to be thorough I do know the Savage 10ML does, in fact, use smokeless powder. It's also the only one I'm aware of to do so and you should be able to print out any number of warnings (probably directly from various ML manufacturers) that state quite clearly that black and smokeless powders are not mixable nor interchangeable. The proprieters of this establishment should also take it to heart how much liability they could be carrying while engaging in such shenanigans as throwing a can of Varget (which would be too slow a powder even in the aforementioned Savage) on the counter an telling people to stoke their smokepoles with it.

So, you guys would sick the Feds on whoever?

Why don't you give the name of this shop? Or

would you rather protect his identity, also. This

really makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting the shops contact information would be the best start right now for a couple of reasons. First one is to prevent anyone here from dealing with the shop and second so we can contact him to voice our concerns.

I seriously doubt the ATF is going to do anything because telling someone to use smokelss powder in a blackpowder firearm isn't violating any criminal laws, yeah it is stupid and will get someone hurt but it isn't illegal. On the other hand having the shop's phone ring non stop for a day or two would probably push the point through more effectively. If the shop owner is on the phone constantly maybe it would prevent someone from getting his advice.

Dolomite

Guest sneakboxer

Are you making this up? That is CRAZY! I'd seek out the owner or manager and try to get that guy fired. I'd like to know where that store is so they don't get any of my cash.

hopefully you can stop this guy before he runs in to a uneducated muzzle-loader.