H&R 930

JAB

I recently picked up one of these 9 shot .22 revolvers at the gun show put on by Great American Gun and Knife Shows in Morristown. I went because there is a dealer I have bought from at their shows in Maryville whose prices I like. He has separate 'gun show' inventory and usually has firearms that are nothing special - just shooters - for pretty good prices. Those are the type of guns I look for at shows and I hoped he would be in Morristown. He was and I got this little H&R from him for $99 (tax included) plus TICS - so $109 out the door. Maybe not an especially great price but certainly not bad and better than any other DA .22 revolver I have seen, lately. It shoots pretty nice and I think it shined up right purdy, as well:

Before FLITZ:

001.jpg

After FLITZ:

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Pre-polishing, the front of the cylinder was so dark that I thought it was finished the same as the front end of the ejector rod - kind of a matte black. Cleaning and polishing revealed that it actually has a bright finish:

004.jpg

My only other .22 revolver is a Heritage convertible single-action. Well, there is my NAA mini but I only have the WMR cylinder for it and it is SA, as well. I like the idea of a double-action .22LR just as a handy thing to have as well as for inexpensive practice for shooting double-action revolvers. I don't reload (yet) so plinking with my .357s - even using .38 Special ammo - can get a little more expensive than I would like. I'll still shoot the centerfires some, especially the snubbie as I carry it pretty often, just not nearly as much. I figure that by the time I roll through a single 550 round bulk pack of .22LR as opposed to a comparable amount of .38 or .357 ammo I will have recouped the price of the H&R in ammo cost, alone.

Edited by JAB
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I have only shot it a little at this point but it shot pretty well. Had a few failures to fire but the firing pin seemed to have made pretty good marks on the rims so I think that was mostly ammo related. I tried it with some Thunderbolts, some Winchester bulk stuff, a few Stingers, some Federal Spitfires (the only non-bulk pack ammo that gave me a fail to fire), some Aguila Supermaximums (very smoky and the spend casings were difficult to extract) and a cylinder full of Rem. Golden Bullet shorts (which may well have been the most accurate.) That was mostly to check function, though - I still need to figure out which ammo it likes best.

As for 'shiny' H&Rs, the 929 was blued and the 930 was chrome early on and, maybe, switched to nickel later (although I am not sure when the switch took place.) They apparently had a few other chrome or nickel models. According to what I can find about decoding the serial numbers, mine was made in 1967.