Cost Effective Deer Rifle

Guest DeoLexRex

Guest DeoLexRex

I have a friend that has recently moved to Middle Tennessee. He would like to start deer hunting but is not what you would call a "gun guy". He asked me tonight what I thought would be the most cost effective deer gun both in purchase price and ammo cost.

I thought I would ask y'all since I'm from the "Land of Lincoln" and not a local.

So, what say ye?

Just to get the conversation going, I recommended a New England Firearms Handi-rifle in 44 MAG or a Savage 11FXP3 in 308.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

I recommend a Stevens bolt action. It's made by Savage, so it has a Savage action, but it doesn't have all the bells and whistles like the accutrigger or anything. They're really cheap compared to the rest of the Savage line. They come in most of the popular calibers.

Definitely go with a Savage bolt action in any common caliber (.308, .270, 30-30). You'll get the most bang for your buck and can get them under $400 new with a scope and sling. One of the most accurate OTB you can get.

I have a remington model 710 30.06 that I purchased a few years ago and I am very pleased with it for the money, I got it on sale at basspro for $300 plus tax and I have taken several deer with it. They have replaced it now with this one:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_770.asp

I don't know what one of these new ones can be bought for but it is supposed to be on the same line as the 710 so I would guess in the range of $400...

Guest Mugster

+1

Buddy of mine that hunts a ton just bought 3 of the 710's when they went on clearance at walmart. Nice rifle with a good scope on it. .270/.30-06/.308 would more than do the trick imo. I should have got one for myself.

Guest Mugster
this is something i have wanted to do for awhile. ive never went deer hunting but would like to. problems would be that i need to get a rifle and i dont know how to clean a deer.

All you really need to do is field dress it. Even if you muck it up pretty bad, as long as you get most of the guts/lungs out and get a big bag of ice in there you'll be good for a couple days until you can get it somewhere. You can pay about $50-60 to have it butchered and there's plenty of guys that do it ...check station can recommend one usually...worth every penny imo.

yeah, i think that would involve me cutting it open and putting my hands inside the damn thing.... i dont know about that without even seeing someone do it before.

like im not bothered by blood, meat, or dead things but i still havent done it myself or even been with anyone that has while i watched.

As to a rifle, shot placement and the ability to make that shot is the first factor in taking a deer. I have used everything from .243 to .340 Weatherby mags but have taken more deer with a Savage 110 in 30-06 than any other rifle. Why? Because it went to the field with me more (it was originally one of the synthetic stocks). I practiced with it more, and the rifle and I had a nice simpatico. what the heck?..........That rifle and I just shot well together. It was the right size, weight, the scope was the perfect distance for eye relief, recoil was never a problem, I don't flinch with that gun. I taken deer with bigger, badder, faster, rifles and will continue to, my new AR in .458 Socom is the next all the time deer rifle. But I can shoot it knowing I'm going to hit what I aim at and that is the point. My son took his first buck this year at 10 years old using a Rossi single shot .223. Small 55 grain PSP rounds. They were illegal two years ago to even use! One shot, one kill, the deer made one attempt to run and fell down graveyard dead!

Tell your friend to shoot any of your other friends deer rifles, see what is going to work best for him then pick up a starter rifle. Single shot is not bad. Your generally wasting your time trying a 2nd shot anyway on a deer. They do move quickly once shot at!

Junglist,

Get some surgical gloves, seal them in an airtight bag (or they go bad) and view several of the videos on the web on field dressing. Bascially you unzip them from the bottom up (start at the penis on a buck or just center of the hind legs on a doe) and get to where you can see all the innards, get up to the lower neck region, cut the trachea and esophogus, wind and food pipes and then pull it all out the unzipped area you made. The only caution areas are you have to cut the pelvic bone with a small hatchet or a very big hunting knive to get the lower intestines out. You also then have to cut around the butt hole to get the rest of that out. Be careful, you don't want to spill the contents of bladder or lower intestines on your meat.

Then remember to cut off the tarsal glands on the hind legs of a buck. This will prevent the carcass from smelling bad while transporting and you can bag the glands and use them on drag ropes the next time you go to piss off other bucks and make them come find you!!

Hope that helps, lunchtime.

I'm with you, Junglist. I want to try deer hunting, but have never so much as seen one go down.

As for a gun, I'm thinking the Mosin-Nagant M44 carbine I got from a fellow forum member would do the trick. Ballistically, it's right there with the 30-06. Lots of overlap there depending in loadings. With a little work, it can be scoped, and the gun itself can be had for between $100-$175 depending on condition. That leaves LOTS of money (when compared to even a "cheap" $400 gun) for a scope and practice ammo. (Milsurp ammo can be had for nearly 10 cents a round!)

Guest bkelm18

Junglist,

Get some surgical gloves, seal them in an airtight bag (or they go bad) and view several of the videos on the web on field dressing. Bascially you unzip them from the bottom up (start at the penis on a buck or just center of the hind legs on a doe) and get to where you can see all the innards, get up to the lower neck region, cut the trachea and esophogus, wind and food pipes and then pull it all out the unzipped area you made. The only caution areas are you have to cut the pelvic bone with a small hatchet or a very big hunting knive to get the lower intestines out. You also then have to cut around the butt hole to get the rest of that out. Be careful, you don't want to spill the contents of bladder or lower intestines on your meat.

Then remember to cut off the tarsal glands on the hind legs of a buck. This will prevent the carcass from smelling bad while transporting and you can bag the glands and use them on drag ropes the next time you go to piss off other bucks and make them come find you!!

Hope that helps, lunchtime.

I knew there was a reason I don't hunt. :cheers:

Its not for everyone Bkelm18!

For some of us though, it completes us:p

I used to slip-hunt when I was a boy. I haven't hunted anything but poachers since I got out of the army though..:D

if you guys do decide to hunt, and you're new at it...please please PLEASE!! make sure you either are hunting on state land, or have permission from the owner of the land you're on. there's many a folk out there like me, who will warn you once...and expect you to be able to read after that...or dodge a pissed off property owner with an M1a and a wish to ventilate them who are armed and on his property without so much as a by your leave...and before you say "thats not legal"..I will tell you now..yes it is. in order to be on someones property with a firearm you have to have their permission. if you lose your dog on their property, you are require to WALK to their house unarmed. (nope..no vehicle allowed if you're hunting)..and ask permission to retrieve the dog.

Folks that are old hands, have found the best places to hunt that they know of, and have permission and all their tags in order before they go out...so buddy up with one of those guys..or talk to them first before going on your own.

I loved to hunt as a boy and always felt at home in the woods...still feel at home, though I no longer feel the need to hunt, unless I forgot to bring my rations...there's nothing like working for your supper!:)