Haven't had one of these in a while, so what would you do in a real SHTF scenario?

I agree. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. And I'm not so sure there would be a massive 'run for the hills' migration. Most people are conditioned to wait on the government to rescue them. Of course, I would be headed for the hills, but only because that's where my family is. If there is a place where most of the population is related to you, that is your best bet, IMHO.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the situation being talked about here it seems to me that if you are going to try and "make it" it would tactically be better to stay in a more familiar setting...as was said, if you don't already live "in the hills" and have a self-sustaining place to live, suddenly moving out into the wilderness is probably not a good move.

Perhaps a finding a better location than you are in (but still within your area of area) would be the best thing...by that I mean, perhaps your particular home in a suburb isn't ideal but maybe some other abandoned home in/near the same city or an abandoned commercial building could prove a better choice; looking for something that can be more easily secured/protected and perhaps less of an inviting target, etc.

Overall, in a situation where the whole of society has broken down I think a person has to think realistically about whether it's worth surviving. As was intimated earlier, surviving is one thing but truly "living" is another and they may not be much point in surviving if there is no home of "living". Of course, part of that decision comes down to who or what you are surviving for...if you are a 30-something with a family you are working in a much different framework than a 50 or 60-something widow/widower.

Overall, in a situation where the whole of society has broken down I think a person has to think realistically about whether it's worth surviving. As was intimated earlier, surviving is one thing but truly "living" is another and they may not be much point in surviving if there is no home of "living". Of course, part of that decision comes down to who or what you are surviving for...if you are a 30-something with a family you are working in a much different framework than a 50 or 60-something widow/widower.

Yep.

I keep about 3 months food and water and various other emergency/camping stuff.

I figure, if I can protect it, that gives me at least that long to decide if it's worth trying to continue.

But if I were younger with spouse and/or kids, I'd have at least a year's worth, and likely a more sustainable fall back location that I do now.

- OS

Thanks for everyone's response. I was bored when I made the OP and I thought this would be a fun exercise to show what people know and how they think. I have to admit that I did expect to see at least one post from the typical overly confident alpha male "gonna carry my .50 barrett etc..." type. Didn't see one. Most have been well reasoned and sobering from the standpoint of there's not really much you can do.

So, I guess I should provide a response as to what I would do in this type of scenario.

Not much. I am limited in my choices since I have an elderly parent to provide for. I don't stockpile any food in preparation for disasters, so my food resources would go fairly quick. By the time I talked myself around the moral dilemma of looting a food store for survival there would be nothing left. Everyone else would have already taken everything. So I guess I would basically sit at home and do some reading, play some cards, and do a lot of praying while slowly starve to death. Being in relatively good shape and not having any major medical issues, I would give myself a month or two assuming I am not overrun by thugs or desparate neighbors. Due to my obligations and living in the suburbs, there really isn't a lot more I could do.

If I did not have someone to provide for, the answer would be pretty much the same. I do not have any hunting ability or wilderness/survival skills outside of knowing how to get lost. I do not have any relatives or friends who live in the deep backwoods or mountains. Therefore, it would be pretty much nonsensical for me to leave my home. The only additional thing I might do is try to help and protect, to the best of my ability, those who do have families with young kids or elderly parents. At least this way I am not forced to go through the hell of trying to survive such conditions and I am helping someone on my way out.

mav, you seem to have a pretty good handle on reality. I learned some time ago that I'm not Superman. I a situation such as you mentioned occurs, my money is on the older, rural farmers that'll make it the longest. My grandparents, who lived in Nashville, regularly talked about the great depression, and how poor they were and what a challenge merely surviving was. I once asked my wife's grandmother, who lives on a farm, her memories of the great depression, and her response was quite surprising to me. She said they heard something about it on the radio, but she couldn't tell any difference. For people with a self sustaining lifestyle, such things really don't have much impact.

.... since I have an elderly parent to provide for. I don't stockpile any food in preparation for disasters, so my food resources would go fairly quick.
mav, you seem to have a pretty good handle on reality. ...

I'm afraid I'd consider a better handle on reality to be at least laying in a one or two month supply of food, water, and other essentials, since there is another person's life at stake here for which one has chosen to be responsible.

Were one Mormon, you're encouraged to have a year's worth for every family member.

- OS

I once asked my wife's grandmother, who lives on a farm, her memories of the great depression, and her response was quite surprising to me. She said they heard something about it on the radio, but she couldn't tell any difference.

The members of my family who remember that time all told me pretty much the same thing. They were already dirt poor, so it did not make a difference. They had chickens, goats, pigs, etc., and whatever crops they could raise. There was a local mill where they took corn to be ground into cornmeal. That is how they sustained themselves.

Incidentally, I've always been told that goats are the best thing to have if you need to 'live off the land'. They can survive just about anywhere.

Edited by shortround
I'm afraid I'd consider a better handle on reality to be at least laying in a one or two month supply of food, water, and other essentials, since there is another person's life at stake here for which one has chosen to be responsible.

Were one Mormon, you're encouraged to have a year's worth for every family member.

- OS

You are absolutely right in your observation. What I meant by that statement was that he is living in reaility, unlike several who post on threads like these who think they could leave their apartments and lattes, and live in the woods like Rambo.

You are absolutely right in your observation. What I meant by that statement was that he is living in reaility, unlike several who post on threads like these who think they could leave their apartments and lattes, and live in the woods like Rambo.

Gotcha.

Strongly doubt there's 1% of folks who even consider themselves staunch outdoorsmen who could survive for a year outdoors anywhere in TN with just what they could carry in. Maybe that percentage or higher if you could hunker down next to good fishing.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Gotcha.

Strongly doubt there's 1% of folks who even consider themselves staunch outdoorsmen who could survive for a year outdoors anywhere in TN with just what they could carry in. Maybe that percentage or higher if you could hunker down next to good fishing.

- OS

That's honestly why my interest in hunting and fishing has peaked again. I realized that I can hunt and fish and know how, but I know very little about the particulars of skinning, etc.

I think a years worth of food storage is a good investment, but after a while you're either going to be living off the land or scavenging. If you're talking an apocalyptic scenario.

It's really a shame we've become so dependent on things to keep us alive. When you look at it realistically, the scenarios were so terrified of used to be called "Wednesday" just a century ago.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest claysaw17

i would probably be the guy who keeps his head down, but lives in a pretty well fortified place. (my house, it's pretty secluded.). the only people i would honestly have to worry about are the psychos who live a few houses down.

Always interesting to ponder these scenarios.... Personally, I believe being prepared for sheltering in place is the best response. That's what we do. We're in a rural area on a river with lots of wildlife. I've a large propane tank for heat, hot water and cooking that I keep filled above half (like my truck's gas tank). Our house is large and we would bring in a few nearby relatives. We are prepared to defend ourselves also. Luckily, we are very healthy and have no health issues. I just hope we only have to hunker down for an ice storm for a few days at most.

Same thing everyone else does everytime there's a rumor of a snow storm or Y2K. Go to Walmart and buy a crate of bread, peanut butter, and milk! Osama bin Laden's won't come around if there's peanut butter...he's afraid of peanut butter...gets stuck in his beard! :)

PS: I had a buddy that said if society fell, he'd stock up on cell phones so he could sell them on ebay to make money to survive. Yep. He'd be one of the first to go. By the way; he works at our local radio shack. :screwy::slap:

Edited by luvmyberetta
Always interesting to ponder these scenarios.... Personally, I believe being prepared for sheltering in place is the best response. That's what we do. We're in a rural area on a river with lots of wildlife. I've a large propane tank for heat, hot water and cooking that I keep filled above half (like my truck's gas tank). Our house is large and we would bring in a few nearby relatives. We are prepared to defend ourselves also. Luckily, we are very healthy and have no health issues. I just hope we only have to hunker down for an ice storm for a few days at most.

So did you implement your plan or run to the store like everyone else this white Christmas?

In an EOTWAWKI scenario, I head to the hills to my parent's land with my stock of supplies - though we're in a pretty good area now, that particular spot is close to ideal wrt defending our position while allowing growth of food...

So did you implement your plan or run to the store like everyone else this white Christmas?

What called for implementing the plan or running to the store? You couldn't mean those few snow flakes? Man, folks do go a bit crazy when that four-letter

word is even mentioned.

Guest Republican
I have no idea. It won't happen overnight, so you won't know your options until it unfolds. Will most likely head for family in a less populated area. I'll have ALL my guns and ammo with me.

Maybe not overnight, but it would be within a week. If you dont already have your shi* together it would make it difficult. People are crazy and will go into a FRENZY if and when the shtf.

Also, I think that many of those who do prepare will become so territorial that tresspassers will be shot on site, so there goes the bartering at least until things calm down.

My plan would definately be to isolate myself and family/friends from the "outside world" for a long while.

Failing to prepare is Preparing to fail.

Maybe not overnight, but it would be within a week. If you dont already have your shi* together it would make it difficult. People are crazy and will go into a FRENZY if and when the shtf.

Also, I think that many of those who do prepare will become so territorial that tresspassers will be shot on site, so there goes the bartering at least until things calm down.

My plan would definately be to isolate myself and family/friends from the "outside world" for a long while.

I think you are "dead" on (sorry).. I am reading "One Second After", which I highly recommend, and it seems to me that things can rapidly go downhill if/when SHTF. For those who are unprepared it will be extremely tough to survive for very long. The one aspect of the EMP scenario (= loss of electrical grid) that is really bad is the lack of refrigeration for medicines. Unfortunately, the innocent will suffer soon thereafter and for many it will be fatal.

Guest Quigley

Right on the money. Those that think that they would survive just by hunkering down, eating their stored food, and keeping watch will only last as long as the "looters" ignore them. Security will only be possible in numbers. Co-operation with neighbors and communities pulling together would be the best hope, IMHO.

Guest Rodslanger

My grandfather told me in the mid 80's before he passed away that there would be a time when everyone would have to lay awake at night to protect your animals,gardens and homes from being taken from starving people due to fall out of society.And that the rich mans money will mean nothing other than he will be the most unprepared and the first to starve out.I hope this never happens but I believe it is inevitable at the rate that the world is going and I don't see anything changing it other than a total collapse and starting all over.I raise and slaughter or process my own cows and hogs,cultivate and grow and hunt on my land just as my grandfather and my father have done before me.And I feel that it is a trait that has been lost thru the generations along with respect but that's another topic of conversation.when the fallout does happen the wolves and sheep will be separated. just my 2 cents worth

Guest pontiac_fiero_g
this is a hard question. My first reaction would be to get the hell out of dodge and head for the mountains. But the more I think about it, I'm not sure. Everyone and their brother would probably have the same idea, therefore the mtns are no longer as valuable.

Either way I'm probably screwed, I don't know how to hunt, only been camping once, and my only long gun is a 10/22. I would hope a a fellow TGOer would take me in!!

But then you have the situation of "family". My parents are divorced, my dad knows how to shoot/hike/camp. My mom and stepdad do not. How would I decide who to go with? After watching The Living Dead I've been asking myself these questions.

i wouldnt count on anybody else to take you in, you should spend a little time to learn some survival skills. im sure most of us here would be happy to spend some time teaching one another. and you would be more than welcome to come on a camping trip with me and some buddies in the next few weeks if you want some experience in a temporary survival situation seeing as we pack real light if you know what i mean

Guest Classickbass

Nice to find this thread. I was beginning to think that I was the only one who thinks about this type of scenario happening. I have a few survival books, some better than others. Can anyone suggest some good reading material on the subject of survival. I have FM 21-76, FM 5-31, TM 31-210, and some of Ragnar's stuff, but am always interested in more knowledge. I will share this with you, don't waste your money on FM 31-21, it is more a history lesson than any actual helpful information.