Ruger announces the LC9 (LC 9mm) single stack pocket gun

kb4ns

A DAO auto-pistol, don't need no stink'n thumb safety, just about as useless as **** on a boarhog. JMO !! Lord help someone when they pull it out and miss the thumb safety and press the trigger when they really need it to fire !!!! REAL stress can cause really serious gun handling errors, and NOT having to hit the thumb safety is one less thing that can go wrong in an already bad situation. That said I'm glad everyone likes different stuff, keeps the world from being boring.

I agree that the thumb safety on a DAO pistol is a little redundant but is it really any more problematic than a SA 1911 carried cocked and locked?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the thumb safety on a DAO pistol is a little redundant but is it really any more problematic than a SA 1911 carried cocked and locked?

Yes, it is.

A manual safety on an SA gun with a short trigger and no firing pin block (ala 1911) makes perfect sense, putting an super itty bitty safety lever on the side of an itty bitty SD gun seems dangerous at worst, dubious at best.

LC9 = meh.

(JMHO, YMMV...)

Well, training and more training, and still, just one slip of the thumb when drawing and.... nothing!!! Don't get me wrong, I've shot them for 30 years, .... It is a 100 year old design, it's great, just I believe there have been better, and more reliable designs, in auto pistols in a 100 years. If there hadn't been designs that addressed the weakness's of the 1911, after 100 years for sure that's all that would be made in an auto pistol. I feel that anyone who thinks the 1911 doesn't have flaws hasn't shot one enough. That said there is NO perfect gun. I think there are more reliable designs now days ,that have PROVEN, that you can carry and operate them safely, without a manual safety. Once again JMO. Mag. safety an thumb safety is a deal killer for me, so no thanks Ruger.

This cannot be good for the Sig P290...the Ruger is coming sooner and costs less.

I shot the P3AT and the PF9 and they were the worst pistols I've ever shot, triggers and sights sucked and so did the recoil. I also shot the Ruger and liked it better than the Kel Tek's but I bought the SIG P238 HD, full stainless, night sights, and recoil is close to a BB gun. Sometimes you actually get what you pay for... After 1000 rounds through it probably one of the best Sigs I own!!! COOP

Guest peacexxl

If you like the gun except for the saftey, couldn't you just not use the saftey or are there other issues it would cause by just being there?

If you like the gun except for the saftey, couldn't you just not use the saftey or are there other issues it would cause by just being there?

I think the issue is that it could be inadvertently engaged while holstered. You draw expecting it "off" and......nothing. Personally I am fine with it; I have the SR9c and it works for me.

Guest malbolja

That thing is barely big enough for all of Rugers warnings & disclaimers.

In other news, Ruger has announced a preemptive recall of the LC9.

Edited by malbolja
I can't wait until next year when Ruger makes the next earth shattering pistol. A 30 round, polymer, .22mag pistol!

Next year? Nah. They'll wait at least another three or four years before releasing that particular, [sarcasm] totally new and completely innovative design [/sarcasm].

Don't get me wrong. I love my P95s and might consider buying more used Rugers. I just think that such an industry powerhouse should be leading not copying the innovations of a small company like Kel Tec then bribing the gun media to act as if they had never seen anything like those copies, before.

.... It is a 100 year old design, it's great, just I believe there have been better, and more reliable designs, in auto pistols in a 100 years.

Heck, I think that even Browning himself would agree with that if he were still around. In fact, unless I am mistaken he called his own Hi-Power design an improvement over the 1911.

I've already been quoted 369.

Went to Gunnys in Maryville, they had one, got to fondle it. They just can't keep them in the cabinet (except for the one on display!), said he'd sold 5 the week b4 Christmas. They were nice, but @ $499.95, I think I'll pass....

Edited by ftncityfatboy
Guest TargetShooter84
Went to Gunnys in Maryville, they had one, got to fondle it. They just can't keep them in the cabinet (except for the one on display!), said he'd sold 5 week b4 Christmas. They were nice, but @ $499.95, I think I'll pass....

Gunny's is way overpriced anyways. Think Gander Mtn and their prices.....same thing.

Went to Gunnys in Maryville, they had one, got to fondle it. They just can't keep them in the cabinet (except for the one on display!), said he'd sold 5 the week b4 Christmas. They were nice, but @ $499.95, I think I'll pass....

How did they sell guns before they start shipping in February?

How did they sell guns before they start shipping in February?

here's where I say "hum, you got me!" We were talking about this pistol that looked an awful lot like the LC9, discussing how long it would be before a recall, etc etc and he was saying it was the hottest pistol going right now. I ASSUMED since we were discussing the LC9, must have been the LC9. Obviously I am mistaken especially since they are not shipping till Feb......MY BAD!

If you are in Maryville you should think about Fransworth Firearms in vonore. Not too far away and always cheaper than Gunny's. No membership to shoot. I think it is 5 dollars for a 1/2 hour plus target. Bring your ammo and fire away. No steel ammo though.

Guest rockbottom12

For me Ill keep my pf9. I pull the trigger It goes bang. What is ruger's deal with plastering safeties on handguns. I dont want to pull the trigger to find out i had bumped the safety at some point. Then it is too late.

Also Why is this gun so heavy? Anyone else notice the weight difference between a pf9 or lc9? I loved the looks of it until I saw the safety.

For me Ill keep my pf9. I pull the trigger It goes bang. What is ruger's deal with plastering safeties on handguns. I dont want to pull the trigger to find out i had bumped the safety at some point. Then it is too late.

Also Why is this gun so heavy? Anyone else notice the weight difference between a pf9 or lc9? I loved the looks of it until I saw the safety.

Its good to have a lawyer on your side.......

I like the new Rugers.....This one is one I would have to consider since I am looking for a new slimmer CC

I like my G27 a bunch but the thickness gets old......