SNOW!!!

DaveTN

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
I always have to work so snow or not I'm back at it Monday night.

Being that I grew up in IL, snow and ice doesn't bother me. The thing that does bother me is the people on the road who are unaccustomed to driving in snow and ice. Their more dangerous than anything else in my book.

People around here kill me. They all rush off to the store at the first mention of snow or ice and buy up every gallon of milk and loaf of bread they can find. Then, when (and if) the foot of snow actually arrives, what do they do? They all get out and drive around in it and run into every damn thing that can possibly be hit. Stay home and drink your milk and eat your freakin' bread!

Bwahahaha.gifRofl.gif

Edited by StreetWK05
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

retired, plenty of beer, food, milk, bread. hope the power doesnt go off like it did in 93. have a big gen. but a lot older than then. dont want to be sliding around in the snow at my age things break too easy. last year was the first time in my life that i didnt get out and play in the snow.

Being that I grew up in IL, snow and ice doesn't bother me. The thing that does bother me is the people on the road who are unaccustomed to driving in snow and ice. Their more dangerous than anything else in my book.

2nd that. Last time is snowed I passed 6 people in the ditches and almost got hit by 2 others.

Mike

People around here kill me. They all rush off to the store at the first mention of snow or ice and buy up every gallon of milk and loaf of bread they can find. Then, when (and if) the foot of snow actually arrives, what do they do? They all get out and drive around in it and run into every damn thing that can possibly be hit. Stay home and drink your milk and eat your freakin' bread! :D

Relax, take a deep breath, it'll be OK.

Guest db99wj
I live too close to work and my vehicle practically ruins my ability to call in for snow. I didn't really think either of those decisions through.

And with my laptop, I can work from anywhere. I will be out of the office tomorrow, but I will be working some and playing some. The Jeep doesn't help me in the "can't make it to work" thing

People around here kill me. They all rush off to the store at the first mention of snow or ice and buy up every gallon of milk and loaf of bread they can find. Then, when (and if) the foot of snow actually arrives, what do they do? They all get out and drive around in it and run into every damn thing that can possibly be hit. Stay home and drink your milk and eat your freakin' bread! :)

I am headed to the grocery store in a bit, our normal Sunday trip. It's going to suck. Are you working? I'll come out and do some donuts in front of you if you are.:D

They are calling for 3-7" in the Memphis Metro area. Aught to be fun!

Being that I grew up in IL, snow and ice doesn't bother me.

Same here. I can get to work, but if we get more than 2†there won’t be anyone there when I get there; so I’ll stay at home. :D

It was this time last year we had a decent snow. I live in Murfreesboro but work in Shelbyville. They came in and asked if I was leaving early because of the snow. I said I wasn’t worried about it. A few minutes later they came in and said they heard on the radio there was talk of closing 231. I was gone… driving in the snow is one thing; being stuck in Shelbyville is another.

It’s a probably a good thing I left when I did. There was no removal equipment on 231 and it looked like a junkyard.

People around here kill me. They all rush off to the store at the first mention of snow or ice and buy up every gallon of milk and loaf of bread they can find. Then, when (and if) the foot of snow actually arrives, what do they do? They all get out and drive around in it and run into every damn thing that can possibly be hit. Stay home and drink your milk and eat your freakin' bread! ;)

Well said. That's what I call getting right to the point. :D:biglol::):biglol:

I went out Friday, when I heard this storm was coming.

I didn't go out for milk or bread though... we have plenty of that.

I went to the liquor store. :)

Guest Swamprunner

Got a food storage. baking two loaves of home made bread right now. As I write this, I'm watching the drama unfold with my grown children.

My two year old grand daughter is sittin' next to me and all is right in the world.

If it's snowin', I ain't goin'. Better to use my vacation time than to ruin the sheet metal on the jeep from other fools tryin' to drive in the stuff that can't.

Guest buttonhook
I thought I was supposed to buy batteries?? :)

the wife send you to the store? for batteries???...:eek:

JUST KIDDING!!!!!

Edited by buttonhook
People around here kill me. They all rush off to the store at the first mention of snow or ice and buy up every gallon of milk and loaf of bread they can find. Then, when (and if) the foot of snow actually arrives, what do they do? They all get out and drive around in it and run into every damn thing that can possibly be hit. Stay home and drink your milk and eat your freakin' bread! :cheers:

+1 (LMAO)

Same here. I can get to work, but if we get more than 2” there won’t be anyone there when I get there; so I’ll stay at home. :cheers:

It was this time last year we had a decent snow. I live in Murfreesboro but work in Shelbyville. They came in and asked if I was leaving early because of the snow. I said I wasn’t worried about it. A few minutes later they came in and said they heard on the radio there was talk of closing 231. I was gone… driving in the snow is one thing; being stuck in Shelbyville is another.

It’s a probably a good thing I left when I did. There was no removal equipment on 231 and it looked like a junkyard.

"...driving in the snow is one thing; being stuck in Shelbyville is another" LMAO.... c'mon man, it ain't that bad is it? Actually, you're right. I even have relatives there and wouldn't want to get caught overnight..

3-5"??? Get a broom. :eek: Call me when there's anything decent like 12" or more. After living in New York, Minnesota, and Oregon, what they're forecasting is just a nuisance snow... but then again, so are the people that get out and try to drive in it. Don't care what we get, as long as it isn't freezing rain, my Land Rover is always ready. And the generator is ready too.... :cheers:

Guest flhtcm

Going to work without a doubt. Grew up in ND, "walked 5 miles to school, up hill each way in 2' of snow, sub zero temps...". But am impressed at how quickly things shut down around these parts, especially the schools(guess they are growing liberals...). Have bread and batteries... And generator, provisions, fuel, enough for a holocaust. I'm going to work.

Guest coldblackwind
Going to work without a doubt. Grew up in ND, "walked 5 miles to school, up hill each way in 2' of snow, sub zero temps...". But am impressed at how quickly things shut down around these parts, especially the schools(guess they are growing liberals...). Have bread and batteries... And generator, provisions, fuel, enough for a holocaust. I'm going to work.

Yup, my school NEVER closed in NY. They would chain up the bus tires, and head out. We actually got phone calls a couple times to tell us that school was open, but the bus couldn't make it to us, so we had to find out own way in...Luckily, we always had a minimum of 2 4wds at the house. We generally assumed if the weather report called for less than 8 inches overnight, we could assume we were going to school in the morning. Over 8 inches we started to have hope that MAYBE school might at least be delayed! On the other hand, down here I've seen them close schools the night before, because we might possibly have flurries overnight...

Yup, my school NEVER closed in NY. They would chain up the bus tires, and head out. We actually got phone calls a couple times to tell us that school was open, but the bus couldn't make it to us, so we had to find out own way in...Luckily, we always had a minimum of 2 4wds at the house. We generally assumed if the weather report called for less than 8 inches overnight, we could assume we were going to school in the morning. Over 8 inches we started to have hope that MAYBE school might at least be delayed! On the other hand, down here I've seen them close schools the night before, because we might possibly have flurries overnight...

Funny when I was growing up here in East TN in the 80's they hardly every closed school. Granted we didn't get the kind of snow they get up north but now a lite dusting of snow or almost a heavy frost and they will call it off. When I was growing up, with snow falling the night before they would not call it off on the radio until the next morning which meant I always had to get up and be getting ready and normally I would be ready before they would call it off.

If I could go back to those radio reports, and compare them to reports now days, you would think they built about 100 schools in my listening area, when in fact it is just every school in the area actually calling off when they never used to.

I think it is called, the wussification of America.

The problem here where I am is the roads look like they were designed and mapped by a drunken roller coaster engineer with the hiccups.

A steep hill, bad curve, or road that's banked the wrong way is bad enough, but when you start combining those features... well, just a little bit of "slick" makes for a lot of unscheduled off-roading. :cheers:

The problem here where I am is the roads look like they were designed and mapped by a drunken roller coaster engineer with the hiccups.

A steep hill, bad curve, or road that's banked the wrong way is bad enough, but when you start combining those features... well, just a little bit of "slick" makes for a lot of unscheduled off-roading. :rolleyes:

Jamie that is how the roads back in the area of Claiborne County/border of Campbell I grew up could be described. In fact there is a joke about to bridges near where highway 90 intersects 25, (the straightest section of road for miles) about the road commissioner hung himself there, because he could not figure out a way to put a curve in the road. This is at Morely tn.

Then about 20 years ago, another Bridge a straight one was replaced with a curved bridge that was curved in the wrong direction so it added 2 more turns to the road. This is in an area known by the locals as Anthras, and can be found between White Oak and Eagan on Highway 90, only as a side road on the map.