I can't believe it!!!

I was at my neighbors house with my wife. My neighbors knew I liked guns and started chatting about getting their HCP. My wife, who has not shared my passion for guns, said she was interested in getting hers too. I was floored. She thinks I'm crazy for the amount of time I spend on guns (shooting, cleaning, building, reading, etc...). Was this some cruel joke she was playing on me??? Nope! I just signed up her for her class along with both my neighbors so they can all go together! Now..what gun to buy?? :2cents:

Side note- ATTN women...the bass pro in Sevierville offers free HCP classes! Guys can also get free classes if they bring a woman with them!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at my neighbors house with my wife. My neighbors knew I liked guns and started chatting about getting their HCP. My wife, who has not shared my passion for guns, said she was interested in getting hers too. I was floored. She thinks I'm crazy for the amount of time I spend on guns (shooting, cleaning, building, reading, etc...). Was this some cruel joke she was playing on me??? Nope! I just signed up her for her class along with both my neighbors so they can all go together! Now..what gun to buy?? :2cents:

Side note- ATTN women...the bass pro in Sevierville offers free HCP classes! Guys can also get free classes if they bring a woman with them!

That's great. I thought it was going to be one of those "she ratted me out" threads. That's what mine did while I was back in NC to attend my dad's funeral.

We were all sitting around and one of my neices married a guy who is a "gun nut" according to her.

My wife pops up that "she knows the feeling, and that I have over 100 guns (not true BTW)" and then the absolute worst part "and he has 3 on him right now" everyone in the family looked totally dumbfounded.

Told her later that 1 I don't own 100 guns, it's XX, and 2 don't ever tell anyone I'm carrying anything other than what is visible on my hip (if it's showing). Everybody in my family knows I carry and that I like collecting guns (it's better than collecting DUI's) but that was out of line.

Guest mudduck
I wish I could shoot as well as my wife.

when my wife and i were taking our class..in the range part,the instructor came up to me after watching my wife shooting,he told me not to piss her off because shes not gonna miss

I wished mine would try it. She doesn`t mind me having and shooting guns. She was raised on a farm and her dad had a gun around. I have always had a gun or two around since we were married--46 years now--and she is ok with that except she thinks that I have too many guns. One of her close friends is thinking about taking a gun class. Maybe that will change her mind.

Guest friesepferd

Some advice for guys trying to get your wife to go shooting-

What I have always found best was for the husband NOT to teach the wife. The absolute best way is to find a female friend to take her out shooting (without you, or at least with you just in the background). If you don't know of any lady friends that shoot, I suggest trying to find something specifically geared towards women- a womens hangun class or similar. If thats a no-go, try and find a normal class and offer to pay for it for her and one or two of her friends- or find a fellow gun buddy who wants his wife to shoot as well and have them go together, etc.

If none of those are options, still the best way is to have her go with someone else. Trust me, you are NOT the best person to teach her (not because of your skills or lack there of, simply a mental thing).

Also, casually doing some shooting outdoors is often better than going to an indoor range with lots of people. You need to make her first experiance as laid back, as lady-like, and as fun as possible.

I tell you this from personal experiance both with myself and with other girls. Many years ago my now-ex had taken me to an indoor range to teach me how to shoot. I absolutely hated it. A while later a friend at school invited me to the shooting club to plink around. I went and within a few months I had my permit, a carry gun, carried every day, shot as many times a week as the range was open, and was soon the president of the club.

Having said that... I wish I could get my husband to carry :-p

I taught my wife to shoot before we got married. I see your point for sure. I took a group to get their carry permit, because my wife wanted to get hers. I went because it was 8 friends and my wife. They would not even let spouses stand next to each other. And yes, my wife shoots a couple times a year and out shoots me ever time.

Guest FLSTFI Dave
I wish I could shoot as well as my wife.

Yea, me to. At ten yards my wife just leaves on big hole with a 1911 .45

when my wife and i were taking our class..in the range part,the instructor came up to me after watching my wife shooting,he told me not to piss her off because shes not gonna miss

When I took the Carry class, the wife wanted to take it too. So we took it together. The wife out shot every one, the instructors called her Annie Oakley.

Plus of a wife that loves to shoot. She has no trouble when I want to buy a nice gun

negative of a wife that loves to shoot, it takes twice as much ammo to go to the range.