just another please help me choose my next handgun thread...

Guest Retch

New guy and looking for some direction here. I'm gonna purchase a new handgun soon and I'm really overwhelmed by the many makes and models. My basic parameters are:

<$550 out the door

9mm

Semi-auto (I have a revolver)

function over form

I guess I'm just asking for best quality for the buck. Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.

Great site btw.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TargetShooter84

I would go for glock and if your gonna carry it, I'd suggest Glock 19 or Glock 26 since both are 9mm, but there's other guns out such as Kahr P9. JMO

Guest TN.Frank

Ruger KP-95 would be a solid, decent shooting pistol to get and well under your price range. You could get a Glock 17 or 19 in that price range or if you look around you could find a good, used Sig 228 for about that. Of all of em' I think the Sig would be the best pistol but the others are decent quality and good shooting pistols as well.

Well heres my shameless plug for the Springfield Armory XD-9. It's was my first gun and I wouldn't get rid of it for any reason. Not too big to carry, large mag capacity (16+1 in the chamber), not completely devoid of safety, very though and very reliable. I have never had a problem with failure to feed, or eject, or fire with any brand of ammo.

Thanks for the input so far.

Am I gonna carry it? Probably not. I'm really looking for more of range gun. Quality. Easy to dissasemble and care for. Common parts. Friendly sights and grip. I don't know. What else should be a consideration? (The ccw will come later.)

Guest canynracer
Here's my pitch for the S&W SW9VE. Out the door for about $300. Use the rest for a good supply of ammo.

I love mine too...but if I had another 550.00 I would be upgrading :D

Here's my pitch for the S&W SW9VE. Out the door for about $300. Use the rest for a good supply of ammo.

Cool. This was on the list....as was the xd9. Actually I was gonna try to post my list of considerations, but it's gotten pretty long. You can spend a few days online reading forums and reviews, surfing manufacturer sites and searching classifieds...and pretty soon you have absolutely no idea where to even begin.

Guest TNDixieGirl
I love mine too...but if I had another 550.00 I would be upgrading :D

I would too. To the S&W 642. But since he said no revolvers, the only semi-auto that I can verify to be a good, reliable gun was the 9VE.

Guest TNDixieGirl
...and pretty soon you have absolutely no idea where to even begin.

I so understand what you mean. In my search to find a pocket size gun, I have developed information overload.:D

I would go for glock and if your gonna carry it, I'd suggest Glock 19 or Glock 26 since both are 9mm, but there's other guns out such as Kahr P9. JMO

I have to agree with Target on the Glocks. Glocks are the most accurate, best shooting, and most reliable guns out there.....at least in my opinion (and a LOT of other folks too!) :D But I would urge you to take a look at the G23 (compact .40) and G27 (sub compact .40) before you decide on a 9mm. 9mm's are a little cheaper to shoot but the .40 is just as much fun and they pack a bigger punch if you're wanting it for home defense and/or carry. I have a G23 and love it, but have actually been thinking about picking up a G36.....it's a .45 but it has a single stack magazine so it is much slimmer than the rest of the Glocks. Just my :D

Guest canynracer
I have to agree with Target on the Glocks. Glocks are the most accurate, best shooting, and most reliable guns out there.....at least in my opinion (and a LOT of other folks too!) ;) But I would urge you to take a look at the G23 (compact .40) and G27 (sub compact .40) before you decide on a 9mm. 9mm's are a little cheaper to shoot but the .40 is just as much fun and they pack a bigger punch if you're wanting it for home defense and/or carry. I have a G23 and love it, but have actually been thinking about picking up a G36.....it's a .45 but it has a single stack magazine so it is much slimmer than the rest of the Glocks. Just my :D

uh ohhhhh....... she went there...LOL sterb246.gif

:D

I have to agree with Target on the Glocks. Glocks are the most accurate, best shooting, and most reliable guns out there.....at least in my opinion (and a LOT of other folks too!) ;) But I would urge you to take a look at the G23 (compact .40) and G27 (sub compact .40) before you decide on a 9mm. 9mm's are a little cheaper to shoot but the .40 is just as much fun and they pack a bigger punch if you're wanting it for home defense and/or carry. I have a G23 and love it, but have actually been thinking about picking up a G36.....it's a .45 but it has a single stack magazine so it is much slimmer than the rest of the Glocks. Just my :2cents:

:D:koolaid::D:koolaid:;):koolaid::koolaid:

Got some anti Glockers here ehhh? :P:p:D Hey, I'm pretty new to this forum.....could somebody please tell me what the kool-aid thing is???

I think this is the epitome of :koolaid:

I have to agree with Target on the Glocks. Glocks are the most accurate, best shooting, and most reliable guns out there.....at least in my opinion (and a LOT of other folks too!)

Most glockster's have bought the line that glocks are the greatest weapon ever invented and nothing can hold a candle to them.:cool: Despite the fact they tend to AD, blowup, haven't been updated with new technology in years (with the exception of a light rail), and have horable ergonomics.:eek:

Don't get me wrong they are good guns, but there are newer and much better designs out there these days. ;) BTW, it's all in good fun.

I think this is the epitome of :koolaid:

Most glockster's have bought the line that glocks are the greatest weapon ever invented and nothing can hold a candle to them.:cool: Despite the fact they tend to AD, blowup, haven't been updated with new technology in years (with the exception of a light rail), and have horable ergonomics.:P

Don't get me wrong they are good guns, but there are newer and much better designs out there these days. ;) BTW, it's all in good fun.

AD is not unique to Glocks as seen recently on the TGO forums of the XD owner who shot their hand performing the cleaning procedures. I have seen issues in other gun makers with "blow-ups". Again, not unique to Glocks. Yea, why update perfection. :eek:;)

Retch, a good place to start is to go to an indoor range that rents handguns. Try various models they rent and in different calibers. Do not be turned-off by one caliber because gun maker XYZ did not shot well or the recoil in that caliber. Different guns have different shooting characteristics.

Regarding calibers, you will get a lot of varied opinions on the gun forums. I prefer the 45 acp caliber.