My BCM Midlength AR-15 Carbine Build

TGO David

• Administrator

I'll be using this thread to journal my midlength AR-15 carbine build. ;)

Components:

• CMMG lower (had this lingering around)
  • Bravo Company Machine (BCM) BFH 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group
  • Daniel Defense LITE 12" Handguard
  • BCM auto bolt carrier group
  • BCM Gunfighter charging handle, MOD4 (Medium) latch
  • BCM milspec buffer extension tube
  • G&R Tactical trail-mix lower parts kit
  • Battle Comp 1.0 black oxide muzzle brake
  • Magpul ACS black milspec stock
  • Magpul MIAD black pistol grip
  • Magpul AFG angled foregrip -- Joe's favorite
  • Magpul backup iron sights (front and rear)
  • Vickers Tactical 2-pt sling
  • MI HD quick detach swivels
  • American Defense Mfg (ADM) Recon 30mm optic mount
  • EOTech OPMOD 1-MOA twin-dot RDS
  • Your mom

1164286723_3sApG-X2.jpg

1164286719_86AjQ-X2.jpg

Update 2011-01-22:

I have assembled the carbine save for the optics. I have also decided to standardize on the same optic that I am using on my short barrel rifle, so I am going to skip using the Trijicon TR22 and instead use the EOTech OPMOD red dot sight. If at some point I decide to use a magnifier, it will be easy enough to implement a flip to the side magnifier behind it.

Also, I am adding two photos taken this morning.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put together a BCM midlength gun for one of my friends a few weeks ago. He ordered his Daniel Defense rails a few days after he ordered the kit so they arrived after I got the gun finished. He thought he could switch the rails out himself, so he tired to use a pipe wrench to get the barrel nut off. As you know this ****ed up the nut in a major way. He called me and asked if I could help him so I took my AR blocks and AR tool up there and we finally got the barrel nut off. The DD rails are super soild and the midlength balances perfect. Looking foward to watching the build come together.

You gotta give us a report on the Battle Comp. I was looking at those again today. Looks like the best compensator out there. My next tweak after I recover from my $900 sling purchase :D

EDIT: Aw hell. I guess we can both give a report now. Battlecomp is out of stock on the 1.0, but they have them at BCM. My girfriend is gonna shoot me. ;)

Edited by mikegideon

Sweet. Please post pictures. I have been looking for a BCM 14.5" upper, to go with another lower that I've got, but damn it if they aren't always out of stock. I guess that I just need to call and get going with the waiting process.

• Administrator

Everything aside from the ADM mount and Trijicon will be here next week. The Batte Comp 1.0 arrived today via USPS. Holding it in my hand, it sure as hell doesn't feel like $150 ... but we all know the magic doesn't happen til you start running rounds through it. :screwy:

Components:

• CMMG lower (had this lingering around)
  • Bravo Company Machine (BCM) BFH 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group
  • Daniel Defense LITE 12" Handguard
  • BCM auto bolt carrier group
  • BCM Gunfighter charging handle, MOD4 (Medium) latch
  • BCM milspec buffer extension tube
  • G&R Tactical trail-mix lower parts kit
  • Battle Comp 1.0 black oxide muzzle brake
  • Magpul ACS black milspec stock
  • Magpul MIAD black pistol grip
  • Magpul AFG angled foregrip -- Joe's favorite
  • Magpul backup iron sights (front and rear)
  • Vickers Tactical 2-pt sling
  • MI HD quick detach swivels
  • American Defense Mfg (ADM) Recon 30mm optic mount
  • EOTech OPMOD 1-MOA twin-dot RDS
  • Your mom

Well if you don't want a suppressor, that's fine, but I don't understand going in the complete opposite direction...

;)

Keep us posted. I've always loved the middys and that one looks badazz. :shrug:

I had smoke coming out of the handguard, so I gave it to the lefty chick (1st time AR shooter) to let it cool down. After the first few rounds, she was rocking it too. Since there's almost no recovery time getting back on target, you're just gonna wind up shooting more. I love it when a product lives up to its claims.

• Administrator
Thats a very nice rifle! This is the first I've heard of the Battlecomp. The videos are pretty impressive.

Thank you.

I'm interested to see how you like the Battlecomp. It is supposed to work as well at the KAC Triple Tap at about 1/4 the price.

It works great. I'm ordering another one for my SBR soon.

That's really nice!

Danke. :D

I'm curious as to how you like the AFG? It seems like a genius idea, but I've never been able to try one out. I'm thinking of adding one to a build (non-AR) I have in progress.

The AFG makes perfect sense on a carbine as it requires your support arm be at full extension to maximize the benefit of natural bio-mechanics. I've seen a few run on short barrels and wondered WTF the person was thinking as a regular vertical front grip makes better use of both your muscular-skeletal system and physics, and presents a smaller shooter profile... but to each their own.

Understood. The gas tube running beneath the forearm makes a nice hand warmer.

I could have probably put it a little better. I usually get some smoke. In this case, I wasn't trying to push the rifle. Followup shots were just so easy that smoke was a natural byproduct. But, I don't have to explain that to you :biglol:.

I started out on a rest to sight in the Eotech. It's the first time I have had a rifle stay on target after a shot. The thing just works!