Road Trip - Need Advice on Carrying

Guest Octo

Hello.

I am roadtripping with a few buddies to Nevada. Typically, I carry a concealed handgun. However, I am concerned about the legality of carrying while on this trip. We are passing through:

Arkansas

Oklahoma

Texas

New Mexico

Arizona

and finally arriving in Nevada.

While I understand Arizona, Arkansas, and Texas have reciprocity agreements, the others only have an informal recognition of TN HCP. So, I put the question to you mates: what do you recommend? Should I just not even bother, or is recognition enough for a road trip? Any LEO input would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Should I just not even bother, or is recognition enough for a road trip?

There's no practical difference between reciprocity and recognition for carry purposes, anywhere in US.

As always though, note that you must obey the carry laws of the state you are in at the time, not those of TN.

- OS

Take note of the handgunlaw site mentioned above, it will show you the where you can and can not carry. When I travel, I have made a 3 ring binder with each states info in it for reference.

Guest tnxdshooter
Take note of the handgunlaw site mentioned above, it will show you the where you can and can not carry. When I travel, I have made a 3 ring binder with each states info in it for reference.

Dang that would cost alot of money with the price of ink these days. Some of the stuff on that hand gun law site was not accurate. Did they ever change the carry in bars deal here in TN. I know at one time even after the law had changed they said we could not carry in bars. I guess what I would do is call the highway patrol/state police in those areas. You can find all those numbers on line via google I am sure.

Guest mustangdave

This was my trip back in July...with the addition of California...I carried in all but CA...where at the advice of a long time friend and CHP officer it was in a "carry bag"...friggin unloaded.

Dang that would cost alot of money with the price of ink these days. Some of the stuff on that hand gun law site was not accurate. Did they ever change the carry in bars deal here in TN. I know at one time even after the law had changed they said we could not carry in bars. I guess what I would do is call the highway patrol/state police in those areas. You can find all those numbers on line via google I am sure.

Most of the PDF's are about 8-9 pages, you could just print the few pages that have the off limit places, and only the states that you are going to be in the most. It has helped me in the past, like in Florida, to know how I could carry where. This was before the days of internet on my phone however. I spent a week in Florida, I printed it, I spent a few days in Louisiana, I printed it, I spent a week in Houston, I printed that one, spent a week in Kentucky, printed that one. The states that I drove through, not so much, just made sure I could carry concealed, and scanned the rest for any weird things listed, then went on. My book covers about 8 states, and only is about 20 pages.

I thought about getting rid of it, due to the phone, but If I'm in a town that doesn't have good coverage, it is a good reference tool. As always, the site is a reference tool, not the official rules and laws. I don't know how often they update their info.

I typically try and print out something from each state I am traveling through or staying in from the web, I try

to find t on the State Attorney Gen's page.

The reason I do this is to help speed along any traffic stops should there be any confusion. Not everyone is

up on the laws and I personally think it shows honest intent to follow the laws even if the information I printed

was out of date. I have never had to use it, or needed to show it while traveling... just something I do. May seem

a little unnecessary to some though.

I typically try and print out something from each state I am traveling through or staying in from the web, I try

to find t on the State Attorney Gen's page.

The reason I do this is to help speed along any traffic stops should there be any confusion. Not everyone is

up on the laws and I personally think it shows honest intent to follow the laws even if the information I printed

was out of date. I have never had to use it, or needed to show it while traveling... just something I do. May seem

a little unnecessary to some though.

That is part of my thinking as well. If you do get stopped and there is an issue, your intent to follow the law could go a long way with the LEO. It could, no proof, but could mean the difference in a talking too and an extended stay in that county.

This is all great stuff. Thanks especially for the handgunlaw.us resource. That will help me very much. One more question, since it is not always covered in the site:

Shotgun in the back - possession of an HCP says we can keep the magazine loaded as long there is nothing in the chamber. Worth the trouble, or don't even bother?

...Shotgun in the back - possession of an HCP says we can keep the magazine loaded as long there is nothing in the chamber. Worth the trouble, or don't even bother?

What trouble?

Other than keeping a gun in car that could be stolen, if that's what you mean.

- OS

... I know at one time even after the law had changed they said we could not carry in bars. ..

The first time law was changed we couldn't carry in bars, only restaurants. That only lasted a couple or three months, then we couldn't carry anywhere that served booze, period.

I've always found handgunlaw.us to be the best carry site for being current, period.

- OS

Check TX, I think there are some specific requirements on carry there.

just a suggestion, but I would do a lot of searching before I depended on the law as quoted by an LEO.

Unless they have finally gotten off their duff, lexis/nexis (sp) still has not corrected theTN law as amended and that is the "official" site for TN law.

Check TX, I think there are some specific requirements on carry there.

just a suggestion, but I would do a lot of searching before I depended on the law as quoted by an LEO.

Unless they have finally gotten off their duff, lexis/nexis (sp) still has not corrected theTN law as amended and that is the "official" site for TN law.

TX isn't that bad, no carry in schools, hospitals, churchs, amusement parks, polling places and bars. They distinguish the difference between a bar and a restaurant with the 51% rule (51% or more derived from alcohol sales is a no carry zone) and have to post the appropriate sign on the entrances. The signs are big and are the same. At least they were everywhere I went. I stayed a week and went out to eat, everyday.

State parks, WMA's, rest areas you are good to go.

Texas is a must inform state as well, so when pulled over, and they ask, hand the permit to them with your DL.

TX isn't that bad, no carry in schools, hospitals, churchs, amusement parks, polling places and bars. They distinguish the difference between a bar and a restaurant with the 51% rule (51% or more derived from alcohol sales is a no carry zone) and have to post the appropriate sign on the entrances. The signs are big and are the same.

Also, just like TN, any biz can be posted with the "30.06" sign.

It's in English and Mexican. I mean, Spanish.

- OS

• 1 month later...
Guest That Guy

I agree; I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The best advice I can give is call the state's Attorney General's Office. They may be difficult to reach, so I would try the Highway Patrol.

Have fun.

Guest friesepferd

When I driving through, I tend to just lock it up in the back unloaded so that there can't be any issues.

If you want to carry on the drive, then as mentioned look through, print off, and carry with you all the info from Handgunlaw.us

Especially since you are driving make sure you know which states you need to inform officers in (which that webpage provides)

When I driving through, I tend to just lock it up in the back unloaded so that there can't be any issues.

First states you have to be concerned about carrying loaded:

East: None

South: None

North: IL-MD/DC

West: CA/OR/WA

- OS