Organizing a "TN Open Carry Day"

DRM

Searched before I posted - found this closed thread: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handgun-carry-self-defense/1076-open-carry-day-tn-2.html

I don't want to debate why OC is good or bad, I'd just like to see something like this happen.

Marching on the capitol sounds good - but not everyone can attend, and then it just looks like political activists are pushing it, and the numbers would be far smaller.

I would prefer to see a day - every year - where Tennesseans get behind us doing something we are already legally able to do, but are almost "shamed" into avoiding.

Open carry, with a pinned-on name tag of some kind with a simple slogan like "Open Carry is legal in TN" and perhaps a pocket full of short informational business cards about the law to hand out to those who inquire.

Thoughts?

Maybe a National day coordinated by all states that permit open carry?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Mike said above, lots of "knee jerk reactions" going on right now. Not the best time to try to increase our rights, we need to be working to preserve our rights.

So operating in fear of exercising our legal rights is your best suggestion?

I'm wondering - can you name me ANYTHING that doesn't play right into their hands? As far as I can see - they can twist everything we actively do into their favor, and I am 100% positive they LOVE having us cowering in fear.

Oh well...

Join the NRA? I've been a member on and off, but they are part of the defensive position problem, IMHO.

Let us know how it works out for ya.

FYI - that attitude makes you part of the problem, not me.

*edit* - I can understand not wanting to participate. Fine, your call. But it is beyond me why you would disparage someone for wanting to exercise our freedoms, instead of always playing the role of being on defensive and watching the anti-gun types nibble away at those rights.

Edited by DRM

*edit* - I can understand not wanting to participate. Fine, your call. But it is beyond me why you would disparage someone for wanting to exercise our freedoms, instead of always playing the role of being on defensive and watching the anti-gun types nibble away at those rights.

The anti's have a lot of sympathetic ears right now. I'm not suggesting we lay down, just lay low. Strickj is right though. This will all probably blow over before an even can come together. At least, that's the way it should go.

Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

Maybe doing something today might not be a bad idea but waiting and doing it tomorrow might be a better one (and give a better outcome).

Advocating a bit of discretion doesn't make one "part of the problem"

I see an event like this as having only a small possibility of a positive impact on Tennessee gun rights with a real possibility of having a negative impact given the "freshness" of the Arizona shooting when you have ideologues calling Glock pistols "assault weapons".

Edited by RobertNashville

Perhaps because OCers exercising their rights convince business owners to post their locations more frequently than CCers do.

There have been several OC 'events' organized by other pro-OC forums. TGO is obviously not one of those type forums..

These usually revolve around positives like trash pick-up in downtown areas. Local medias will usually run short stories about them with interviews with those participating. These type get togethers are never "in your face" or otherwise negative in advancing gun rights.

There have been several OC 'events' organized by other pro-OC forums. TGO is obviously not one of those type forums..

These usually revolve around positives like trash pick-up in downtown areas. Local medias will usually run short stories about them with interviews with those participating. These type get togethers are never "in your face" or otherwise negative in advancing gun rights.

I don't see why something like this could hurt. Its certainly not going to make the anti-gunners come any harder, they are full bore as-is. I like this idea, community service while carrying, I'd be in for that

I could get behind one of those "This stretch of road maintained by......" type of signs. As strickj said it's not in your face and it has a positive impact that everyone can appreciate.

A more public OC rally where the media is invited, not so much. I really don't think those types of things convince any of the anti's to come over to our side. The pro-gun argument is based on logic and reason (guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people) and all of the logic and reason will not trump the strong emotional fear of guns that the anti's have.

My position is not about cowering in fear. I just don't think that publicly "Asserting our Rights" benefits our side in the long run.

I don't see why something like this could hurt. Its certainly not going to make the anti-gunners come any harder, they are full bore as-is. I like this idea, community service while carrying, I'd be in for that

It's not about them coming any harder. It's about them gaining more support.

It's not about them coming any harder. It's about them gaining more support.

But gaining more support from whom? Do you think people would see this and call there reps and demand gun control? All this gun control legislation being introduced now is just political posturing, I don't believe it's going anywhere. Now on the contrary is an OC event going to gain us any support, maybe, maybe not. But I don't think it would bqe threatening our right to carry buy doing so

My position is not about cowering in fear. I just don't think that publicly "Asserting our Rights" benefits our side in the long run.

IMHO, the only way to get the general public used to OC is to either educate them, or acclimate them (which is in itself part education).

Does OC make some uncomfortable at first? Maybe. 3 years into it - same "OC Day" each year - you think more people are informed and less people will be alarmed? Without a doubt. 5 years in you still think people will be shocked to see someone OC? I seriously doubt it.

So I disagree completely with your assertion about "long term". If anything, it is the short term that you have to worry about getting past.

I really just want to see a "OC while going about your daily business" day. I don't want people congregating together, or protesting, or anything else.

The impact is from the uninformed public be educated that you can go about your daily business, carry a gun (OC or not - but the OC is how you start getting them used to guns) and the public starts to see that people with guns are just going about with life. Normal people doing normal daily stuff - just armed. I think that is the real message that needs to be sent.

Maybe it needs to be a day where we all OC and dress up (shirt and tie, suit, etc.) and have some catchy slogan like "dressed for success" or the like :screwy:

IMHO, the only way to get the general public used to OC is to either educate them, or acclimate them (which is in itself part education).

Does OC make some uncomfortable at first? Maybe. 3 years into it - same "OC Day" each year - you think more people are informed and less people will be alarmed? Without a doubt. 5 years in you still think people will be shocked to see someone OC? I seriously doubt it.

So I disagree completely with your assertion about "long term". If anything, it is the short term that you have to worry about getting past.

I would agree that acclimation would help if OC was the main issue but I don't think that it is. The anti-gun supporters are not saying "Keep your guns, just don't let me see them", they are saying "I don't think that you should have any guns". They have had a lot longer than 5 years to acclimate to the idea that we like our guns and have a right to own them but they still think that they have no place in our modern society. Maybe over time OC'ing would become less shocking, but I don't think that it will change their opinion that you shouldn't have it in the first place.

Then again, I'm still a noob, so I may be way off base.

Guest NashvegasMatt

"Does OC make some uncomfortable at first? Maybe. 3 years into it - same "OC Day" each year - you think more people are informed and less people will be alarmed? Without a doubt. 5 years in you still think people will be shocked to see someone OC? I seriously doubt it."

Your thought here is quite naive. Just because you publicize something does not desensitize the general public's view of the situation. That is wishful thinking my friend. I understand where you're going with this, but what is the point in the end? You have the right to do it on a daily basis, so do you already? If so, do the people you encounter on a daily basis show concern or respect of the fact that you OC? One day a year won't change anyone's mind, you know that... If you're gung ho about this, you should already be doing on your own time.... (I'm not saying you don't) but too many people like myself on here do not approach the HCP as a badge of honor. I personally like to keep mine concealed because of the unknown, controversy, and the skepticsm of others. If something were to ever happen where I was to have to use my weapon, having it concealed would benefit the situation. Having it in the open makes you a target of sorts. Think about a bank robbery scenario. Who are the first people the robbers shoot or detain?...The securty guards, because they know what they are capable of. If I am not the expected person to put up a fight, I may have a better chance of winning the round.

I’ll pass on an “open carry†day. We already had that at Radnor park. How’s that worked out for us? You think a few people are now use to seeing someone with an AK strapped across their chest?

I just don’t support open carry as good for our cause or any pro-gun legislation.

Voting adults have already formed their opinions on carrying guns.

Sorry you think anyone that disagrees with you is “cowering in fearâ€.

Maybe over time OC'ing would become less shocking, but I don't think that it will change their opinion that you shouldn't have it in the first place.

There is no maybe, it would be less shocking as people get used to it. And as people get used to it, they either get informed, or indifferent - and to be honest, I'll take either one.

OC'ing is not going to create very many new anti-gun types. Sure - it may tick off the ones already out there, but they are ticked off 100% of the time anyway.

The ONLY way to gain significant ground in this country is through education, period. People fear what they do not understand, and what they have not been exposed to. Increase exposure and understanding - and you remove that fear.

I did not grow up as a "gun person". Dad had a 22 in the closet, and when I became teen he bought me a 20ga for squirrel hunting. I became comfortable with long guns, but my lack of exposure to handguns still left me - at late as age 30 - not really comfortable being around handguns. Was my lack of comfort rational? No. It was simply lack of exposure. I set out to remove that discomfort by purchasing, handling, shooting, disasembling, and educating myself about handguns, to the point where I got my HCP and have carried daily for over a year now.

I say this because the I know first hand what it feels like to be on both sides of this fence, and I know first hand how education and exposure can shift a person's view.