SB0397 (Campfield): Expanded carry legislation

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would prefer to have Campfield not involved in legislative affairs whatsoever. If he propsed anything it is doomed.

You think the rest of the legislature there considers him the same nut that most of us back home do (but voted for him anyway)?

- OS

I would prefer to have Campfield not involved in legislative affairs whatsoever. If he propsed anything it is doomed.

Garufa, I'm with you man. I wish ANYONE other than Campfield be the one to introduce this bill. He is viewed as an irresponsible moron by many, many people, unfortunately.

Should have gotten the guy from Straw Plains to have done it.

Guest mbushell

Guys there is no hidden adgenda.. This is a pro gun bill. Many other states have instituted constitutional carry Motana,wyoming,arizona, southcarolina, florida...and many others an open carry law. Its what we have been fighting for" if you can own it you can carry it". It will have a good chance of passing most other states passed it around a margin of 8 to 1. Being that other states hve done it there is prescidence. Its not a matter of changing the law... Its a matter of giving back rights that were illegally taken from us.

I'm not so sure about the whole endorsement on the DL thing - there are some folks who don't want every clerk who checks their ID when they write a check, etc. to know that they have a carry permit. Since any TN resident who could legally buy could also legally carry I don't see that this would make it any easier on LEO to tell if someone they stop is carrying or not. What is the big deal about continuing to give HCP holders a separate card - especially if it would be a one-time, lifetime issuance?

Ok, I am going to ask the dumb question. In other threads, other boards and topics, in discussions concerning what happens when a HCP holder is involved in court actions where the court takes the HCP from the person. If that were to happen with the HCP being an endorcement on the DL, what is the person to do for a DL if the court takes possession of the HCP? Or how about the reverse. If the court takes the DL, what does one do for a HCP? If it is contained on one card, there would have to be a provision to account the one "license" or "permit" if the other is lost.

Edited by Sky King
Addidional input
Guest mbushell
Ok, I am going to ask the dumb question. In other threads, other boards and topics, in discussions concerning what happens when a HCP holder is involved in court actions where the court takes the HCP from the person. If that were to happen with the HCP being an endorcement on the DL, what is the person to do for a DL if the court takes possession of the HCP? Or how about the reverse. If the court takes the DL, what does one do for a HCP? If it is contained on one card, there would have to be a provision to account the one "license" or "permit" if the other is lost.

If this passes the only thing you will need a HCP for is reciprocity. Anyone who can own a gun can carry it in this state,if it passes. If you were to commit an offence requiring a license suspension you would no longer be able to legally own a gun and therefore not need a HCP most likely. Im sure the endorsement will be on ID cards as well for those who just dont want a license, but again it wouldnt be necessary unless you were leaving the state.

If this passes the only thing you will need a HCP for is reciprocity. Anyone who can own a gun can carry it in this state,if it passes. If you were to commit an offence requiring a license suspension you would no longer be able to legally own a gun and therefore not need a HCP most likely. Im sure the endorsement will be on ID cards as well for those who just dont want a license, but again it wouldnt be necessary unless you were leaving the state.

This is all moot for now since there is no House Bill....

But.... I think we all understand that if this passed you wouldn't need a permit to carry but many people already have a HCP, would keep them and/or new people apply for one I think.

You are probably right that they could issue an ID card with the endorsement. But that still doesn't help in those situations where your DL only or your HCP only is supposed to be taken up by the court (judge). If he takes the only card you have becaue you no longer are supposed to have a HCP, how do you drive home until you get a DL without the endorsement? If takes your DL up, how are supposed to carry until you get the ID w/ the endorsement?

You'd be able to carry home without an HCP, just not in other states. So in the second case the restriction wouldn't be a huge deal since it only takes 1 business day to get a new ID.

I'd still be more concerned about only being able to have 1 ID, instead of now where we can have as many HCP's as we want.

This is all moot for now since there is no House Bill....

But.... I think we all understand that if this passed you wouldn't need a permit to carry but many people already have a HCP, would keep them and/or new people apply for one I think.

You are probably right that they could issue an ID card with the endorsement. But that still doesn't help in those situations where your DL only or your HCP only is supposed to be taken up by the court (judge). If he takes the only card you have becaue you no longer are supposed to have a HCP, how do you drive home until you get a DL without the endorsement? If takes your DL up, how are supposed to carry until you get the ID w/ the endorsement?

You'd be able to carry home without an HCP, just not in other states. So in the second case the restriction wouldn't be a huge deal since it only takes 1 business day to get a new ID.

I'd still be more concerned about only being able to have 1 ID, instead of now where we can have as many HCP's as we want.

Well I think you can only have "DL", not sure if you can get an additional "ID" or not. If so, then that would take care of that.

Guest friesepferd

This seems to be a pretty big question that everyone is having. With this new bill, can someone get a non DL government issues ID with the stamp on it? If so, the problem is taken care of, if not- this is a big problem.

This seems to be a pretty big question that everyone is having. With this new bill, can someone get a non DL government issues ID with the stamp on it? If so, the problem is taken care of, if not- this is a big problem.

I understand there is no new bill, but to comment on your question…

You will still have to go through an HCP class; so if you don’t have a DL, they would give you an HCP. If we did away with the HCP requirements (class etc.) we would lose reciprocity with some states.

I understand there is no new bill, but to comment on your question…

You will still have to go through an HCP class; so if you don’t have a DL, they would give you an HCP. If we did away with the HCP requirements (class etc.) we would lose reciprocity with some states.

I don't think his question had anything to do with doing away with the HCP class requirements.

This bill (I think, have about lost track) would change it where the DOS simply put an endorsement on your DL that you could carry a handgun, instead of printing a separate card like you they do know. Instead of your HCP and DL just having the same number they would literally be the same piece of plastic.

So the question then becomes...what about those that don't have a DL? Or as in previous post, you DL is revoked, but not your HCP? Or you HCP is revoked, but not your DL?

Right now there are situations where a judge in a court can make you hand over your HCP....but if the DL/HCP are the same piece of plastic....How do you drive home without a DL in your possession?

I don't think his question had anything to do with doing away with the HCP class requirements.

This bill (I think, have about lost track) would change it where the DOS simply put an endorsement on your DL that you could carry a handgun, instead of printing a separate card like you they do know. Instead of your HCP and DL just having the same number they would literally be the same piece of plastic.

So the question then becomes...what about those that don't have a DL? Or as in previous post, you DL is revoked, but not your HCP? Or you HCP is revoked, but not your DL?

Right now there are situations where a judge in a court can make you hand over your HCP....but if the DL/HCP are the same piece of plastic....How do you drive home without a DL in your possession?

I assume it will all be tracked via computer. Obviously a Judge can’t make you hand over your DL if he is revoking your HCP. Those problems would be addressed electronically would be my guess.

I assume it will all be tracked via computer. Obviously a Judge can’t make you hand over your DL if he is revoking your HCP. Those problems would be addressed electronically would be my guess.

Yes it can be checked and tracked electronically...but the Law/Courts/DOS are sort of funny about wanting the physical item (HCP or DL) as well.

Also as you may know officers don't always run a computer check on your DL or HCP...they just go by the fact that if you have it, it must be valid. (Since it usually required to be turned in if it isn't).

I mean there are fairly simple ways to address these issues....it's just that the bill doesn't do that in it's current form. But that is what amendments are for...:D