Whazup with bicycles?

Guest KCSTEVE

so your idea of a healthy debate is calling him an a**hole? Interesting

Erik,

sometimes, that's all people know how to debate. Unfortunate. Personally, I ride a bike with my son several days a week, weather permitting. Idon't want anyone running us down, but, I don't need some snarky jerk encouraging them.

Nope, I'm very direct. I call a**hole where I see a**hole, and there are a lot of 'em in this thread on both sides of the fence, including yourself.

I challnged you to show me where I was disrespectful. You can't do it, so you resort to name calling. You've proven my point perfectly. PHQ.

I challnged you to show me where I was disrespectful. You can't do it, so you resort to name calling. You've proven my point perfectly. PHQ.

I also challenged you to show me where I named you specifically, you could not. You resorted to calling me a coward, when I was saying that this had gotten completely out of hand on both sides.

What a thread!! I have learned a lot from it.

+1

This thread has been a real eye opener for me. It is amazing what you can learn about people from their stance on a trivial issue such as this.

Erik,

sometimes, that's all people know how to debate. Unfortunate. Personally, I ride a bike with my son several days a week, weather permitting. Idon't want anyone running us down, but, I don't need some snarky jerk encouraging them.

Did you actually read any of my posts explaining why cyclists ride where they ride? Just how am I encouraging them? Should I ask them to throw things? How's your reading comprehension?

. I guess your the kind of guy who'd help carry your flat-screen out for someone robbing your house? Hate to be rude right?[/QUOTE]

This. Please feel free to look at the timeline.

Thanks

If you think saying I'll seek every remedy available against someone who is assaults you is being "snarky", then I guess I'm "snarky". Again, I don't see how that's disrespectful. Seriously, let me give you the benefit of the doubt, are you telling me you wouldn't take action if someone is putting you or your son at risk? I bet you would*. I just don't where anyone on "my" side of this issue has said anything that compares to the name-calling, ridicule, and threats coming from the other side. The only thing disrespectful is your post above. It's not to be taken literally. The point is that it's not disrespectful to stand up for yourself. If this doesn't make sense to you now I guess we just can't overcome that whole reading comprehension problem huh?

*This means I'm not really calling you a coward see. I do however stand by my statements in earlier posts that it is a cowardly thing to throw something at someone and then drive off. I hope that doesn't hurt anyone's feelings.

Edited by JReedEsq
Guys, let's not resort to name calling. Doing so further will result in vacations being issued.

Thanks

Let the record reflect I've posted a long list of rational, reasoned posts. For some reason he called me a snarky a-hole. There is just no reasoning with some people. How dare I say I don't like my life being jeapardized and that I would use every legal rememedy available to defend myself in the case of an assualt. Guess that makes me an a-hole.

If you think saying I'll seek every remedy available against someone who is assaults you is being "snarky", then I guess I'm "snarky". Again, I don't see how that's disrespectful. Seriously, let me give you the benefit of the doubt, are you telling me you wouldn't take action if someone is putting you or your son at risk? I bet you would*. I just don't where anyone on "my" side of this issue has said anything that compares to the name-calling, ridicule, and threats coming from the other side. The only thing disrespectful is your post above. It's not to be taken literally. The point is that it's not disrespectful to stand up for yourself. If this doesn't make sense to you now I guess we just can't overcome that whole reading comprehension problem huh?

*This means I'm not really calling you a coward see. I do however stand by my statements in earlier posts that it is a cowardly thing to throw something at someone and then drive off. I hope that doesn't hurt anyone's feelings.

I don't think you understand that I actually agree with what you mean, just not the delivery. You think I like the fact that someone is talking trash about throwing things or hitting people? Heck, that could be me and my son, and anyone doing so should be arrested (both sides of the fence comment). As far as reading comprehension, mine is just fine, thanks.

anyone doing so should be arrested (both sides of the fence comment).

Just where did I say I'd do anything I could be arrested for? What I said was I'll get plates and call the authorities, and use any legal remedy.

Maybe I should really work on being more polite to people who advocate acts of violence against me and call me names for no apparent reason. Again, you really think that referring to a 5-7 second delay is snarky? How?

Guest buttonhook

In my area we have lots of bicycles the problem I have is when they ride in huge groups at 5 MPH and will not clear the road (sharing the road goes both ways) .....as I would do in a car if I was holding up traffic...

and the fact that many cyclists will ride in the road then cut on to sidewalk then back to the road as they seem fit. Go to the UT campus.....I swear i dont know how they dont get killed by the dozen!!

Not many cyclists in this part of TN but I've seen a few around. The first time I ever saw one on the road, I didn't think it was legal and was surprised and pissed about it. It was late at night, no one around except for the two of us and he's sitting in front of me at a red light. And we sit there awhile because apparently his bike wasn't heavy enough to trigger the pressure switch attached to the light. That kind of stuff is really annoying.

I've mellowed out a little bit since then but I'm still aggravated when people ride their bikes on the road. It should be legal if they aren't hurting anyone but it still aggravates me.

Just where did I say I'd do anything I could be arrested for? What I said was I'll get plates and call the authorities, and use any legal remedy.

Maybe I should really work on being more polite to people who advocate acts of violence against me and call me names for no apparent reason. Again, you really think that referring to a 5-7 second delay is snarky? How?

Did I say YOU did anything to be arrested for?? There's that reading comprehension thing again. I was talking about people who attempt to run cyclists off the road. And YES the context that you put the 5-7sec delay in was snarky.

I don't think you understand that I actually agree with what you mean, just not the delivery. You think I like the fact that someone is talking trash about throwing things or hitting people? Heck, that could be me and my son, and anyone doing so should be arrested (both sides of the fence comment). As far as reading comprehension, mine is just fine, thanks.

What does both sides of the fence mean? This is where I'm confused about who you are saying could be arrested.

Did I say YOU did anything to be arrested for?? There's that reading comprehension thing again. I was talking about people who attempt to run cyclists off the road. And YES the context that you put the 5-7sec delay in was snarky.

Context? How? I'm still totally lost on how it's snarky to refer to a 5-7 second delay, when I'm talking about a 5-7 second delay. That's sometimes all it takes for someone to wait until a safe time to pass a cyclist. As far as my reading comprehension comments. I posted numerous, lengthy posts with step by step reasons why cyclists shouldn't be on sidewalks, what the T.C.A. says about cyclists rights etc... I just don't see how you read these and think I'm the one being disrespectful.

"That said, I'm sorry if I've ever created a 5-15 second delay for you. I should know that you're probably on the way are on the way to defuse a bomb or deliver a baby somewhere. LOL. " That would be the snarky comment I am referring to, implying that someone else's time is unimportant.

You are... You are very unimportant. We ALL are... Unless your responding to an emergency, in which case... you'd likely not care and have your mind on the aforementioned issue. Your late for work? You have to get to your kids before your charged a late fee? The movie starts in 5 minutes? Not my damn fault, get your ass up earlier and don't blame me because I am riding my bike legally and safely. I only ride in lanes to turn and when there is not a shoulder. Convenience has ruined our culture royally. Dont get pissy because there is a guy riding his bike and exercising his rights.

like this guy Police Search For Hit-And-Run Suspect - Nashville News Story - WSMV Nashville

I hope the driver is found and given the 15 years in an 8x8 with a butt buddy.

Rush Rush Rush! Fast Fast Fast! Now Now Now! Enjoy your happy meals and early heart attacks. Slow down, life only happens once. rushing through it will only make it shorter.

Any motorist who exits his car and approaches a cyclist or other motorist is an idiot.

"That said, I'm sorry if I've ever created a 5-15 second delay for you. I should know that you're probably on the way are on the way to defuse a bomb or deliver a baby somewhere. LOL. " That would be the snarky comment I am referring to, implying that someone else's time is unimportant.

Compared to someone's life, 5-15 seconds is unimportant period. It's not snarky, and I stand by it. I'm done with this thread. I believe can be judged on my previous posts and I am still appalled you would compare my tone with those folks that were name calling an insinuating that it's ok to throw things at cyclists. A small amount of time vs a stupid cowardous act that could cause serious injury. If you think what I said is in the same league with those postings you can't be reasoned with. I'm done here.

• Administrator
so your idea of a healthy debate is calling him an a**hole? Interesting

Why is debating necessary? I swear, sometimes I think we as forum members... or members of society for that matter... try to make certain things far too cerebral. When a person is being an a-hole, there's no need to waste precious oxygen debating the matter is there? I don't feel that compulsion.

Why is debating necessary? I swear, sometimes I think we as forum members... or members of society for that matter... try to make certain things far too cerebral. When a person is being an a-hole, there's no need to waste precious oxygen debating the matter is there? I don't feel that compulsion.

I didn't say I wanted to debate anything. Did you read what he wrote? First he accused him of not knowing how to hold a healthy debate and then 2 posts later called him an a******. I was just pointing out the irony. But I'm done here, this thread is silly.

Guest Jamie

Y'know, all this thread really proves is that people are indeed very much "tribal", and that no matter the situation or subject... guns, bicycles, you-name-it... it ultimately comes down to "us vs. them", and who has the most/better/more powerful "rights". ( "Us" being whichever side you're on, and "them" being everyone else. )

No damned wonder the human race is such a train wreck. Good sense is long gone, if it was ever here to begin with. ;)

Why doesn't somebody close this mess, before it gets more embarrassing than it already is?

I really do not like to close threads. If a person can't keep from breaking the rules on their own then that is their problem. If they can't keep from making an ass out of themselves, again that is their problem and I, for one, would like to know who they are ahead of time.

Edited by Daniel