Whazup with bicycles?

Guest KCSTEVE

I used to ride a lot. When I moved to TN I kind of gave it up. Not that the drivers are any more jerky than where I used to live (Columbia, Mo) but there are fewer bike lanes. Fewer bike lanes means more Mountain Dew bottles whipped at my head and I got tired of that.

Some oddness, when I lived in MO people never, ever threw Mountain Dew at me. It was mostly a Coke type of town with some Pepsi mixed in.

Well, I hope it was Mountain Dew they were throwing out you and not some urine bomb.

It is pretty sad that we have so many jackasses in the state that would stoop so low as to throw something at someone on a bicycle. It is also unfortunate that they seem to have a high semen content, and they tend to breed others who grow up just like them.

Wow, I never imagined this forum was home to so many who ride or used to ride. Impressive! I get in about 2000 miles on the road each season. I love Tennessee roads and drivers, most of them anyway. I try to always be aware of the needs of drivers and have had very little trouble.

This issue does have some parallels to those of us who carry.

...I know better than that, I don't need any drama...sure, I may honk the horn which I have few times before but that's the extent of it...

Be sure and honk at the KPD bicycle cops. They really appreciate the recognition.

- OS

Guest KCSTEVE

If a biker blocks the road, he is honked at and stuff thrown at them but, it is their right to block the road.

Then is it the car drivers right to honk and throw stuff if the road is blocked?

Is it OK to drive in the bike lane?........

If a biker blocks the road, he is honked at and stuff thrown at them but, it is their right to block the road.

Then is it the car drivers right to honk and throw stuff if the road is blocked?

Is it OK to drive in the bike lane?........

No and No. Haven't we covered this? If you throw something at me I'm getting your plates, a description of your vehicle and we'll have our day in Court. It is an assault period.

*Edit: It is your right to yell and/or honk. But not throw things.

Edited by JReedEsq

Here is the Tennessee statute regulating where a cyclist is to be in a lane:

55-8-175. Riding on roadways and bicycle paths — Penalty. —

(a) (1) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except under any of the following situations:

(A) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction;

(:) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway; or

© When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge. For purposes of this section, “substandard width lane†means a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and another vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.

(2) This subsection (a) does not apply to a certified police cyclist engaged in the lawful performance of duty relating to traffic control.

(:D (1) Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two (2) abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles. Persons riding two (2) abreast shall not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic and, on a laned roadway, shall ride within a single lane.

(2) Subdivision (B)(1) does not apply to a certified police cyclist engaged in the lawful performance of duty relating to traffic control or in pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law.

© (1) This subsection © shall be known and may be cited as the “Jeff Roth and Brian Brown Bicycle Protection Act of 2007.â€

(2) The operator of a motor vehicle, when overtaking and passing a bicycle proceeding in the same direction on the roadway, shall leave a safe distance between the motor vehicle and the bicycle of not less than three feet (3¢) and shall maintain the clearance until safely past the overtaken bicycle.

(d) A violation of this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

[Acts 1955, ch. 329, § 75; T.C.A., § 59-876; Acts 1985, ch. 138, § 5; 1989, ch. 591, § 113; 1995, ch. 140, §§ 5, 6; 2007, ch. 81, § 1.]

In short; Same rules, Same rights:

55-8-172. Traffic laws apply to persons riding bicycles — Penalty. —

(a) Every person riding a bicycle upon a roadway is granted all of the rights and is subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this chapter and chapter 10, parts 1-5 of this title, except as to special regulations in §§ 55-8-171 — 55-8-177, and except as to those provisions of this chapter and chapter 10, parts 1-5 of this title that by their nature can have no application.

(:) A violation of subsection (a) is a Class C misdemeanor.

[Acts 1955, ch. 329, § 72; T.C.A., § 59-873; Acts 1989, ch. 591, § 113.]

I believe most cyclists start out trying to hug the shoulder, but are forced to give it up by drivers who insist on trying to squeeze by at 60mph without moving over into the oncoming lane. Better to ride out in the lane and make it clear to people overtaking you that they are going to have to wait for oncoming traffic to clear before they can pass.

I believe most cyclists start out trying to hug the shoulder, but are forced to give it up by drivers who insist on trying to squeeze by at 60mph without moving over into the oncoming lane. Better to ride out in the lane and make it clear to people overtaking you that they are going to have to wait for oncoming traffic to clear before they can pass.

This is very true. Unfortunately, some people misunderstand this as someone intentional blocking. Another misunderstanding is that cyclists want to ride on busy two-lanes. Most serious cyclists prefer rural, low traffic routes. They may have to ride mile or two on a busy highway in order to connect two otherwise low traffic roads. The cyclist might do a 40-60 mile loop with only one mile on a high-traffic area... Trust me it's not fun to have traffic buzz you at high speed but sometimes there are no alternative routes. Only a novice or someone who's lost his way would intentionally choose to block traffic if they have another option.

1. If you are riding a "road" bike, the wheels, tires, and general setup of the bike is designed for going fast on the road, not on a sidewalk.

2. It is actually illegal to ride on the sidewalks in many municipalities.(See #3 and #5).

3. Sidewalks are designed for pedestrians that means people who are on foot. Why should I have to wait on them, startle them, or risk their leashed dog or child causing a collision.

4. The sidewalks are usually where all the glass, tacks, staples etc.. are located, which can result in expensive and time wasting flat tires.

5. Riding on the sidewalk can actually be more dangerous than riding on the road. Why? Because the sidewalks don't expect a 20 mph vehicle to be in in an area designed for pedesrians. Hence they don't see cyclists and pull into the path of cyclist in places where the sidewalk may cross driveway or parking lot.

6. Cyclists have a right to be on the road. Trust me, I pay plenty of taxes, and if there is an alternative street with less traffic, I'll usually take it.

That said, I'm sorry if I've ever created a 5-15 second delay for you. I should know that you're probably on the way are on the way to defuse a bomb or deliver a baby somewhere. LOL. Seriously, Just throw your tobacco spit cup at me. That seems what most people do. Or they've really got brass balls, they yell obscenities and then drive off really fast. I've always assumed this is because they are admiring my physique, and would really like to keep watching me ride, but darn it they have a bomb to defuse and don't have the time to stop and talk...

1. If you are driving a 'road' car, the wheels, tires, engine, etc. are designed for doing at least the minimum speed limit on the road. Where I usually end up stuck behind bicyclists, that speed limit is generally 45 mph or so. Regardless of the type of bike, 20 mph ain't 'fast' I don't care how hard the guy is peddling and I have yet to see a bicyclist, riding right down the middle of a two-lane road where I can't pass, doing anywhere near 45 mph unless they were going downhill.

2. It is generally against driving rules, not to mention potentially dangerous, to cross a double-yellow line into the other lane, which is what I would need to do to give a bicycler a three foot berth when he or she insists on riding right down the middle of the lane.

3. Roads are designed for motorized traffic. Why should I have to creep along at 10 mph behind some bicycler who is riding in the middle of the lane on a two-lane road where I don't have enough visibility to safely pass? I seem to remember from studying for my driving test (although, admittedly, that was nearly 25 years ago) that there is a rule that says if the driver of a car, etc. is going more than five miles under the speed limit he is supposed to pull over and let traffic pass. As I said, before, bicyclists are generally going 20 - 25 mph slower than the speed limit but rarely do I see one pull over to let motorized traffic pass. They just keep pumping away at the pedals as if they are suddenly going to get a turbo boost or something.

4. No, I may not be on my way to disarm a bomb and no, a five to fifteen second delay is not that big a deal. That said, it is funny how some bike riders will talk about how 'rude' motorized traffic can be when it is the bike rider who is pedaling along at 10-15 mph, right out in the middle of the lane and refusing to give a little so that the motorized traffic can safely pass. Riding along behind such a dope for a few seconds is one thing. Riding along behind them for a couple of miles because they won't get over and it isn't safe to pass is quite another. It is even better when two or three such 'high speed' 15 mph bike riders are riding abreast, totally oblivious to the fact that there are other people in this world. That is what I call 'rude'.

5. I want to start a 'share the bike trails' campaign. After all, I pay taxes so I and my 4WD have as much right on those public bike trails as anyone else, right?

Edited by JAB
1. If you are driving a 'road' car, the wheels, tires, engine, etc. are designed for doing at least the minimum speed limit on the road. Where I usually end up stuck behind bicyclists, that speed limit is generally 45 mph or so. Regardless of the type of bike, 20 mph ain't 'fast' I don't care how hard the guy is peddling and I have yet to see a bicyclist, riding right down the middle of a two-lane road where I can't pass, doing anywhere near 45 mph unless they were going downhill.

2. It is generally against driving rules, not to mention potentially dangerous, to cross a double-yellow line into the other lane, which is what I would need to do to give a bicycler a three foot berth when he or she insists on riding right down the middle of the lane.

3. Roads are designed for motorized traffic. Why should I have to creep along at 10 mph behind some bicycler who is riding in the middle of the lane on a two-lane road where I don't have enough visibility to safely pass? I seem to remember from studying for my driving test (although, admittedly, that was nearly 25 years ago) that there is a rule that says if the driver of a car, etc. is going more than five miles under the speed limit he is supposed to pull over and let traffic pass. As I said, before, bicyclists are generally going 20 - 25 mph slower than the speed limit but rarely do I see one pull over to let motorized traffic pass. They just keep pumping away at the pedals as if they are suddenly going to get a turbo boost or something.

4. No, I may not be on my way to disarm a bomb and no, a five to fifteen second delay is not that big a deal. That said, it is funny how some bike riders will talk about how 'rude' motorized traffic can be when it is the bike rider who is pedaling along at 10-15 mph, right out in the middle of the lane and refusing to give a little so that the motorized traffic can safely pass. Riding along behind such a dope for a few seconds is one thing. Riding along behind them for a couple of miles because they won't get over and it isn't safe to pass is quite another. That is what I call 'rude'.

5. I want to start a 'share the bike trails' campaign. After all, I pay taxes so I and my 4WD have as much right on those public bike trails as anyone else, right?

If cyclists bother you that much, run for office and bring up your proposal on the floor.

1. If you are driving a 'road' car, the wheels, tires, engine, etc. are designed for doing at least the minimum speed limit on the road. Where I usually end up stuck behind bicyclists, that speed limit is generally 45 mph or so. Regardless of the type of bike, 20 mph ain't 'fast' I don't care how hard the guy is peddling and I have yet to see a bicyclist, riding right down the middle of a two-lane road where I can't pass, doing 40 mph unless they were going downhill.

4. No, I may not be on my way to disarm a bomb and no, a five to fifteen second delay is probably not that big a deal. That said, it is funny how some bike riders will talk about how 'rude' motorized traffic can be when it is the bike rider who is pedaling along at 10-15 mph, right out in the middle of the lane and refusing to give a little so that the motorized traffic can safely pass. Riding along behind such a dope for a few seconds is one thing. Riding along behind them for a couple of miles because they won't get over and it isn't safe to pass is quite another. That is what I call 'rude'.

1. No one said a cyclist should block you just that you should wait until it's safe to pass.

2. I've never advocated a cyclist taking up a lane unnecessarily, but it it's an issue of causing you a delay verses risking their life by waiting on you to pass, then you should wait, period.

3. If you read the statute I posted above, cyclists do have an obligation to stay to the right and allow you to pass when there is enough room to do so. They don't have an obligation to get off the road, however.

4. What I call rude is referring to someone you don't know as a "dope", What the hell gives you the right to insult someone you don't know?

5. I've got no problem with 4x4s. I own one, and I've driven it off road. I've got no problem with 4x4s. If you were allowed to bring it to the trails at Haw Ridge Park in Oak Ridge, I'm sure you'll end up upside down or in a lake. At Norris Watershed, 4x4s are allowed on the "fire roads" that mountain bikers use to acess the trails. You know what? They go really freakin slow. What do we do? We wait until we can pass safely and go around them. Never once have I had the urge to throw things, cuss, or say they shouldn't be allowed there.

4. What I call rude is referring to someone you don't know as a "dope", What the hell gives you the right to insult someone you don't know?

A person who is impeding traffic and seems to feel that they are the only person who has any 'right' to use the road and that everyone backed up behind them is simply their guest on their road is a dope. I don't have to know them to reach this conclusion. BTW, I feel the same way about a person in a car who exhibits such behavior.

5. I've got no problem with 4x4s. I own one, and I've driven it off road. I've got no problem with 4x4s. If you were allowed to bring it to the trails at Haw Ridge Park in Oak Ridge, I'm sure you'll end up upside down or in a lake. At Norris Watershed, 4x4s are allowed on the "fire roads" that mountain bikers use to acess the trails. You know what? They go really freakin slow. What do we do? We wait until we can pass safely and go around them. Never once have I had the urge to throw things, cuss, or say they shouldn't be allowed there.

Did I say that bicyclists should not be allowed on the road? I don't recall saying that, nor do I recall advocating throwing things, etc. What I did say was that refusing to behave in a manner that recognizes that he or she is, in reality, impeding traffic is rude, regardless of the perceived 'reason' given.

The 'bike trail' comment was intended to point out that simply paying taxes doesn't give anyone a 'right' to be on the road and that, in my opinion, someone who trumpets their 'right' to ride down the middle of a public road on a bicycle sounds just as silly as proclaiming a 'right' to drive my 4WD on a bike trail. Basically, bicyclers have no right to be on the road. It's all good, though, because drivers of motorized vehicles have no right to be on the road, either. Driving is a privilege, not an entitlement, so no such 'right' exists.

What I am saying is that I have no problem with sharing the public roads with conscientious, courteous bicyclists. Riding down the middle of a road where the speed limit is 45 and pedaling along at 15 while impeding traffic is neither. Just as you believe that motorized traffic should 'just wait' until they can pass, I believe that, when riding in an area where road conditions mean that motorized traffic cannot safely pass, the courteous and safe thing for the bicycle rider to do is pull over (and stop if debris, rumble strips, etc. make it necessary to do so) until the traffic behind them can pass. After all, they probably aren't riding their bicycle on the way to disarm a bomb so that five to fifteen second delay while they stop to let motorized traffic that is trying to do the legal, posted speed limit pass shouldn't be a big deal, right?

The problem is that, regardless of whether you choose to believe it or not, the majority of the 'on the road' bicyclers I end up behind are of the rude variety - to the point that when I get behind a courteous rider it is actually a (very pleasant, btw) surprise - as in their behavior stands out and I notice it. Most just lean a little further forward, refuse to acknowledge that anyone is behind them and make a big show of pedaling harder - meaning they might actually hit 18mph for a few seconds.

Edited by JAB

Hey JAB,

You are absolutely wrong to assume someone should have to stop and pull over to allow you to pass. Stay to the right, yes, stop, no. You're right the world revolves around you and no one should ever do anything that might cause you an inconvienence. My question is this what do you do when someone writes a check in front of you at the grocery store? As for characterizing cyclists, I raced for more than 10 years, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say I probably know a few more than you.

Maybe Mav is right that you should lobby for change if this issue is such a big deal to you. How about more bike lanes? I'd hate to cause you to lose 5 seconds of your life.

Edited by JReedEsq
Guest KCSTEVE
No and No. Haven't we covered this? If you throw something at me I'm getting your plates, a description of your vehicle and we'll have our day in Court. It is an assault period.

So do people get your plates?.............Oh I forgot, bicyclists don't have to buy plates to block the road...

So do people get your plates?.............Oh I forgot, bicyclists don't have to buy plates to block the road...

I'll be glad to give you my ID. You'll know exactly who I am when I sue your ass anyway. How many times do I have to say I don't advocate blocking the road? You are the one who is advocating a crime. The ignorance on this board is astounding.

• Administrator

Wow... based on some of the extremely unreasonable posts in this thread, I can only shake my head in sad amazement at how many complete a-holes we have carrying guns. :bowrofl:

Hint: It's not the guys riding bikes.

I can live with some a-hole blocking the road :bowrofl:

For the rest of ya... lighten up! The world does not revolve around you.

If there's a cyclist in the roadway, then wait ten seconds until it's clear and pass them. Is that so hard?

Edited by strickj