General gun show gripes

mav

:rant:Is it just me, or does anyone else have any problems with their local gun shows? It seems like everytime we have a gun show I tell myself that I am not going to waste the money and go to the show. However, I end up going anyway in the hopes that this one will be a little bit different. Unfortunately, it never is.

Every show has the same old stuff and/or vendors. I am not in the market for an antique firearm, I do not collect Nazi regalia, nor do I want to pay msrp (or more) for a modern handgun or rifle. When it comes to knives, I do not collect Case knives nor do I want a $5 p.o.s. made in China knife that falls apart after two weeks.

I am usually not in the market for anything in particular when I go to a show, but I am always willing to buy something if it strikes my fancy. I would love to see a couple of semi-custom 1911s when I go to a show. I would also love to see some Microtechs, Chris Reeve, Zero Tolerance etc... knives. I know there is a market for these items, but I almost never see them at a show. If I do see a nice knife, the dealer is usually asking almost double the normal price. I always thought you were supposed to be able to see stuff at a gun show that you can't find at your local firearms dealer.

I have been thinking about this all day. Not too long ago there was a thread on gun snobbery. Perhaps I am a snob who deludes himself thinking he is not.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill Goodman's is nothing but a turkish bazar for Beef jerky, NcStar, Tapco, and all other cheap mall ninja crap. There is ONE guy that I buy from regularly that carries a good selection of Magpul acces. BUT, top shelf kit or deals like the old days are non existent. If, and I mean IF you find anything of quality the price is so inflated that you could buy online or have your local dealer order you one cheaper.

I know what you mean, I will continue to go to them, but gunshows suck.

I have gone to most of them lately and thought the same thing. I now just go for one booth that has 38 reloads really cheap and spend about $200 there and just look around to fondle guns. If I see something I like I write it down and look for it when I get home. I hate that there is no deals at the shows. I think if I spend $200 in ammo they could at least knock off the tax. Oh well I will still be at the next one.

I am not in the market for an antique firearm

Yeah...leave those for me.:cool:I buy a lot more stuff from guys walking around with a gun for sale than I ever have bought off a table. The parking lot is the best place for a deal. They are there, you just have to know what to look for.

I have gone to most of them lately and thought the same thing. I now just go for one booth that has 38 reloads really cheap and spend about $200 there and just look around to fondle guns. If I see something I like I write it down and look for it when I get home. I hate that there is no deals at the shows. I think if I spend $200 in ammo they could at least knock off the tax. Oh well I will still be at the next one.

Steven L. Taylor of SNL out of Oakland Tn will cut the tax and give you a ammo can when you buy 10. boxes, mix and match. He's at the Gallatin Show and I've seen him at the Murf. show.

Steven L. Taylor of SNL out of Oakland Tn will cut the tax and give you a ammo can when you buy 10. boxes, mix and match. He's at the Gallatin Show and I've seen him at the Murf. show.

I've been watching Saturday Night Live for years, I don't recall seeing that guy.

• Administrator

I hate gun shows. With a passion. Two years ago Joe @ Hero Gear and I tried to start something new in the area... gun shows that weren't your typical gun shows. Maybe it was poor location or just the wrong time of the year to start something like that, but the turnout wasn't all that hot from either the vendors OR the patrons.

I guess I've still got a bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing, but every time I hear someone else complain about how gun shows suck I can't help but think about how bad the turnout was when we tried to do something better. I think most people are content with what they see at these local shows, honestly. :cool:

That's because the average person is actually convinced that lasers and collapsable AR stocks belong on everything. I wish I had been around here to know about your shows. Hee Haw commandos and ghetto trash are easy to sell to. Put an accessory rail on it and it's tactical. I mean, who else would buy all that crap for a New England single shot 12g? :cool:

Edited by Caster
Guest TackleberryTom

I totally agree. I really get tired of all the NON firearm related items at a GUN show. I also get tired of the full retail/over retail prices, especially when I paid to get in. I do like going for reloading supplies, I have found some good deals on that stuff.

But, I will still go to them with friends because they can be fun.

What ever happened to the old guys who set up tables COVERED in misc parts???? Half the time they didn't even know what most of it was, and they would price it depending on how interested or excited you got when you picked it up. You can't find ANY parts anymore!

Anyone remember the gun shows over near the interstate in Dickson? They were at Flea Port, what is now Mid TN lumber warehouse. THose were some dang good shows.

The last good gun show I went to was last year at Sevier County Fairgrounds. Everyone told me it's a waste of time and money, but I ended up getting the Desert Eagle that day. But ever since then, I haven't seen any deals, IMHO. At the Expo show, I saw a Taurus Judge for $550. I can get it for $410. Didn't find any .50AE ammo and the prices on the .380 and 9mm were no different than buying at J. Floyds. Just seems like a waste to pay $10 to walk around looking and hoping for a deal. I think the best deals are in the parking lot :)

Guest mosinon
I hate gun shows. With a passion. Two years ago Joe @ Hero Gear and I tried to start something new in the area... gun shows that weren't your typical gun shows. Maybe it was poor location or just the wrong time of the year to start something like that, but the turnout wasn't all that hot from either the vendors OR the patrons.

I guess I've still got a bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing, but every time I hear someone else complain about how gun shows suck I can't help but think about how bad the turnout was when we tried to do something better. I think most people are content with what they see at these local shows, honestly. :)

I suspect you're right. While the problems with gun shows are obvious to gun enthusiasts I suspect most attendees aren't actually enthusiasts. You crank out a better show for enthusiasts and you get all the enthusiasts. Which is great if all you want is the people really into guns. That's not a lot of people. You crank out a show that is better for everyone, including the people that eat beef jerky, and you'll have something.

A clever solution is required but I don't know what that would be. Until then, yes, gun shows suck.

There hasn't been a good gun show in middle TN for years. I remember when I was a kid the Goodman show at the fairgrounds took up 3-4 buildings. If you want to go to a real gun show you have to go to Louisville, Tulsa, or Vegas. National Gun Day in Louisville has a good mix of old guns, new guns, and parts and it's really not that far away. And it is ten times the size of your typical middle TN show. I have drove up, walked the show and drove back home in the same day with no problem.

If you are into "assault" type weapons and accessories Knob Creek and the SAR show are where it's at. But they are not as good as they used to be either.

I like going to gunshows, I like the fact that there is a show in Murfreeboro and I hope it sticks around. It's a great way to keep the community interested in firearms. I really don't understand why people that enjoy firearms complain about gunshows???

One thing that I think is forgotton, is every vender from the popcorn guy to the full blown dealer is in the building to make money, I don't think any of them are there for there health. If you don't like the prices or flea market items you see just move along. If you think it is going to suck them most likely it will suck.

I have found some real good deals over the years, but they are few and far between. But I still enjoy going and at least would like to think attending a local gunshow is a great way to support a hobby / sport we all enjoy.

I also tire of them. I go to get ammo and look around, but its always as you stated --- overpriced "typical user" guns like glocks combined with rifles and shotguns that look like they were dug up out of a battlefield. Once in a while you get a surprise, last time at the shriners I saw 4 or 5 decent 1911s (not the 5k stuff, but decent) and some high quality antiques. The knives can stay at home -- its been a decade since I saw a knife worth having at a decent price.

Worse, you cannot carry your gun to them, either you have to let some cop manhandle it or leave it at home or in the car. There needs to be a third option... it stays in its holster, and no one touches it unless the owner gets attacked -- the same rule used at good gun shops (your carry gun is welcome but unload any firearms that are to be inspected/handled/etc by the store clerks).

All that to say I am going to this thing tomorrow in chattanooga anyway. Its probably a waste of time, but its something to do on a rainy weekend.

The problem is the "same old vendors" issue, more than anything else. Same guy will have the same guns and so the shows rarely change. And they just seem to have become more and more seedy, the vendors selling stuff that is in poor condition and of dubious value "as is". The top 3 things I find at a show anymore is ammo (and that is getting rare to find a deal -- once in a while a "factory reloader" has some goods), holsters and such, and the extremely rare find (a decent, interesting gun at a decent price).

Guest 6.8 AR

A good gun show will have bargains. One used to be able to go to a gun show and get a deal

on something. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Guest Lester Weevils

It would be great if there were lots of desirable things at fire sale prices, but on the other hand flea markets have the same charm. Mostly junk but every once in awhile there is something good.

Found 3 guns I was looking for at gun shows. Lots of guns I didn't want, but eventually found some I wanted. Typically come away with only an ammo can, obscure used knife at a decent price, or some powder or primers. Same thing with a flea market-- Look at lots of junk and maybe come away with nothing but a snow cone and an old Science Fiction book for fifty cents. Beats going to a movie anyway.

I look at it like going to an unusually well-stocked gun store rather than looking for the bargain of the century. There is no single gun store in my area that has as much stuff as even the suckiest gun shows. So if you get better selection maybe it doesn't matter if the price is no better? Assuming the selection includes something you want.

I look at it like going to an unusually well-stocked gun store rather than looking for the bargain of the century. There is no single gun store in my area that has as much stuff as even the suckiest gun shows. So if you get better selection maybe it doesn't matter if the price is no better? Assuming the selection includes something you want.

I think this was TGO David's and Joe's (BimmerFreak) original intent with their "gun shows that weren't your typical gun shows" concept. Too bad folks didn't grasp their intent and take advantage of it.

Edited by Loon160T

I like gun shows. Even though the Knoxville shows have the same dealers with the same guns every single month (or couple of weeks depending on time of year) you never know what might show up, usually from some random guy walking around. Occasionally, maybe once a year, someone new will show up with a huge table of old parts.

I like old stuff and around here shows are about the only place to catch a glimpe of old, quality firearms. Gun stores are all about selling Glocks, XDs, plastic M&P's and whatever is the flavor of the day to bolt onto an AR. You can find all that stuff at the show cheaper than any store.

I don't go for knives but some of my friends do. That's cool.

I don't go for Beef Jerkey, jewelry, pickled-eggs or any other such nonsense.

I go to find and look at old guns. I'm an enthusiast that way.

Only reason I go to the shows is to look at guns. If I find something I like, I research prices and usually find it cheaper elsewhere.

$10 is a pretty good deal to get to see and touch a bunch of different guns. Plus the people watching, which is always entertaining and worth the admission fee.

Heck if you don't like the gun shows then vote with your dollars and don't go.

I enjoy the gun shows in Knoxville. Of course there is some over priced wares there. And there are definitely fair deals to be had. I do not go with expectation of finding some ridiculous good deal. People now days are better educated at the value of items and they generally seems to be priced appropriately. If you think it is priced to high, don't buy. Simple rule.

Whats the problems with knives, beef jerky, toys, jewelry and picked eggs? Are those tables not allowing some gun sellers access to the show for selling purposes? I seriously doubt it. So in real world effect the odd item vendors are hurting nothing. And as well they must be finding buyers for their goods or they would not be there month after month. Just because you don't like knives I know for a fact others enjoy looking at knives and possible purchasing one. I see it all the time. And aren't most shows titled as Gun and Knife shows? I see tables with gun parts at every show, is it the sellers fault that they actually know what they have and how much they want for it?

I don't know where else to go to be able to fondle and look at milsurp guns of all variety. For the most part they are priced fairly. I could care less about tacticool accessories so I pretty much skip past those displays. Give me old war rifles that still function, if they look like they were dug out of the mud so much the better.

As for the Guns and Hero Gear Expo, IIRC there was a gun show in Knoxville that weekend, so I am guessing thats where all the vendors were at. And Winchester is a bit out of the way for most of us. Sorry it did not pan out for the promoters. But I am guessing it is hard to get regular gun show vendors to do an out of the way venue when there is a regularly scheduled venue in a population center that same weekend.

I am not sure I can find much to bitch about in regards to gun shows, expect the carpet bombers walking around. People could use to step outside to do their farting.