The Ruger MK III...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear its worse now with the "mag safety" (safety being a relative term, I guess). I would advise the "intact" cleaning and lube, where you just clean it without taking it apart. I do my MK II that way and it eats 150 or so rounds a week most weeks.

there is no real reason to strip the thing. Swab the bore and wipe what you can, it will run forever anyway.

I bought one recently, a 22/45, that is. And I plan on mike357's course of action with it. Shoot. Swab. Wipe. Repeat.

there is no real reason to strip the thing. Swab the bore and wipe what you can, it will run forever anyway.

Bought a Mark I, 40 years ago, stripped it once, never again.

Bought a 22/45 a year ago, stripped it once figuirng Ruger must have improved it. Nope, made it worse, never again.

I'm forever on the Mike plan myself now.

Heck get a bore snake, I can barely get patches through the thing as it is.

I never get tired of expressing my disgust at disassembling these fiendish things. My Mark II actually gets harder to take apart the every several years that I do it. Last time it took a hammer. Never again.

This gun is why aerosol gun cleaners with the little barrels were invented.

That being said, I wouldn't give that pistol up for anything.

I am with the majority here. Heck, I couldn't even get my 22/45 apart completely...just didn't like beating it with a hammer to do so. Finally got it back together to shoot and will now simply use a bore snake, gun scrubber, and a little eezox lube. But is a great shooter! This months GUN TESTS magazine agrees.

Here is the thing....they would have stopped selling them 60 years ago if they didn't out shoot just about every pistol made.

I kid you not I could spend less than 5 minutes showing how the internals work on a MK gun and you would be able to field strip it blindfolded.

I think its pretty simple myself. I took my 22/45 apart the other day to install the mark2 hammer bushing. Took me all of 15 minutes from start to finish.

I can't keep focus for that long. It is the most ridiculous set up and there is no reason to do it. :blink: It does not need to be that hard and there is NO benefit from doing it.

I enjoy stripping a firearm as must as the next guy but the MkIII is the exception. Hold it one way, hold it another, drop the mag, hit it with a hammer, pull the trigger, reinsert mag, foegetaboutit LOL

And I totally agree that the Mk's are the best autoloading .22 out there. Can't imagine one better than mine.

Edited by Mike.357
I have to admit that I was one of those kids that disassembled everything to see how it worked. I can really see and tell how things go together so maybe that is why it is so easy for me.

Do you have any extra parts laying around when done? :blink:

Guest J.D. Skull

You can put it together wrong and it won't fire. Have to take it apart and try again. BUT IT WILL ACTUALLY FIT TOGETER WRONG! That aint right.

The two listed websites is where I learned to fiddle with MKII/IIIs. Now I have made shims, blast shields, converted MKIIIs to MKIIs and generally enjoy doing trigger jobs on these things. My beater MKIII *that is really a MKII now" has a 2.25lb trigger. I used to love those adjustable Bob Marvel triggers but I have really learned to like the new Volquartsen triggers.

Gun Talk Online

www.1bad69.com

Not really. As long as you know what you are looking at, its easy. the hammer strut is the culprit and once you figure out where it needs to be when putting in the mainspring housing, you can get it right on the first try every time.

As a matter of fact, I generally use a pair of nail clippers to disassemble and reassemble. No real tools necessary.

I bought one of those Majestic Arms stripping kits that make it easier to disassemble and reassemble. The instructions said nothing about how to reinstalled the magazine safety. The the cresent shaped part has a notch in it and that notch fits over the sear. So I took this pistol apart and put in back together so many times before I figured this out, that I don't need the Majestic Arms stipping kit. I can stip it down, clean it, and put it back together in just a few minutes now.

Guest Ken45

:rolleyes: I used to think that "how do I put my Mk II back together" was the most frequently asked question on the Internet, LOL.

I only have a couple of Mk II's. I consider it a pleasant challenge to get it back together without RTFM. I didn't know that Ruger upped the challenge for the Mk IIIs. Just another reason to stick with the Mk II's.

The only problem with cleaning without disassembly is that I do not like to clean from the front end unless it's a revolver.

It's been a while here since we shot the .22s. I guess I out to either shoot them or at lease spray them with lube.

Ken

The Ruger Mark III is a "politically correct" Mark II. It has a 1) loaded chamber indicator 2) a magazine safety, so you can't shoot in without a mag. 3) a stupid key lock

Mark III mags are not interchangable with Mark II mags. I have converted my Mark III to a Mark II.