Help fight brady campaign speaker in chattanooga

Chattanooga is bringing in the leader of the brady campaign to attack guns in a supposedly open forum about all the violence of late in this city. The summit is to be held in a crime zone (no guns allowed) at the UTC arena. While supposedly all views are welcome, I think we can all see where this is going.

Also, laws are being written to ban buying and selling guns at gunshows for anyone who does not own a FFL. This is also not the solution to the problem.

I am not really very good at wording these sorts of things, but if some of the more eloquent members could get some voices out there on this garbage, it would be awesome.

All the pro-gun folks who managed to get in a word have been totally wuss about it, saying things like "lets not over-react until we hear what he has to say" but I do not agree --- unless the president of the NRA is also speaking, the entire forum and discussion are going to be lopsided.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

....Also, laws are being written to ban buying and selling guns at gunshows for anyone who does not own a FFL. This is also not the solution to the problem. ...

Don't see how that can fly, if you mean Chattanooga laws, since TCA preempts local control.

- OS

Ah, well, that was a well over a year ago, it never got legs, but yeah, obviously they could change it on state level. I don't know of any similar bill under consideration at this time, though.

- OS

Chattanooga is bringing in the leader of the brady campaign to attack guns in a supposedly open forum about all the violence of late in this city. The summit is to be held in a crime zone (no guns allowed) at the UTC arena. While supposedly all views are welcome, I think we can all see where this is going.

Also, laws are being written to ban buying and selling guns at gunshows for anyone who does not own a FFL. This is also not the solution to the problem.

I am not really very good at wording these sorts of things, but if some of the more eloquent members could get some voices out there on this garbage, it would be awesome.

All the pro-gun folks who managed to get in a word have been totally wuss about it, saying things like "lets not over-react until we hear what he has to say" but I do not agree --- unless the president of the NRA is also speaking, the entire forum and discussion are going to be lopsided.

Link ? Who, What, When, Where, Why, How (to get there, dress, react, other useful info, etc.) ?

Link ? Who, What, When, Where, Why, How (to get there, dress, react, other useful info, etc.) ?

Speaker Choice for Gun Summit Sparks Controversy | city, gun, bringing - WTVC NewsChannel 9: Chattanooga News, Weather, Radar, Sports, Lottery

The gun violence summit is scheduled for May 18th at UTC.

Its open forum, I suppose you can wear anything you want except a gun, I will wear something half decent at least, but not a suit.

How to get there

utc - Google Maps

Thats about as much as I know at this point.

Not sure how you should react. I am going to try an email to demand NRA president be there to balance it.

Ah, well, that was a well over a year ago, it never got legs, but yeah, obviously they could change it on state level. I don't know of any similar bill under consideration at this time, though.

- OS

Maybe not. Wife got some sort of email alert about this so I wondered if it was being brought back again, but maybe it was a glitch.

My response:

"Your article says that Paul Helmke of Brady Campaign was 'invited to speak'. Is he being paid for the privilege? Are public funds being used to pay his travel and other expenses? If so, it hardly just an 'invitation'. Who was 'invited' to present the opposing viewpoint? Surely, if you can pay the president of Brady Campaign to come and speak, you can pay for Wayne LaPierre of NRA, Larry Pratt of GOA, or Alan Gottlieb of SAF to present an opposing viewpoint. I understand that after paying for Paul Helmke to come all the way from DC, funds may be scarce. But even getting John Harris of the Tennessee Firearms Association to come all the way from Nashville would be an improvement. You probably wouldn't even need to pay for his hotel room, it's only a two-hour drive."

It’s called “The gun violence summitâ€. :) What makes you think anyone wants to hear from us or the NRA?

Do you know that the NRA wasn’t invited? Did someone wake them up from their nap in D.C.? :D

I too would want to know if city funds were used to pay for this and if so why only one side is represented.

The good news is the City of Chattanooga can’t do much (if anything) in the way of gun control.

All:________________

I wouldn't worry much about some jackass from the Brady Foundation saying anything. There are plenty of places in Chattanooga (....knoxville, nashville, and memphis....) where not having a gun is very dangerous. Given the problems with violent crime in these places (...Policeman killed in Chattanooga, Christian-Newsome in Knoxville, home invasion, abduction in Parsons, TN. Go down the list...).

It will be a "hard sell" to convince anyone that guns are the principal problem with crime. It simply aint so, and lots more folks who are not gun enthusiasts are realizing that fact.

Take a look at the young couples with children and the old folks attending the local gunshows. I well remember when the "gunshow crowd" was a pretty close knit faternity; it is a much larger segment today (...Thank God....). I say "let 'em talk". They cant win this one on the truth; or thru an appeal to "common sense" or decency.

Casual observation is busy confirming to the most weak minded of us that the world is a dangerous place, that criminals dont obey the law, and the the law cannot protect anyone.

For what it's worth.

leroy

Guest mbushell

The answer to your problem is very simple in my mind. No need to write letters, speak or anything... Lets get some folks together and make some picket signs. They should say things like:

" no more car sales at car shows"

"Close the car show loophole"

" Stop the illegal produce sales at farmers markets"

We all know that carshows are where most people get the cars that they have accidents in and kill innocent people with. So what if the first ammendment protects ones right to private property. The fact is that I dont understand carshows. They scare me since I dont drive, and there for, no-one should have the right to drive. SHEESH!!

I recently attended the Maryville Gun show... No private gunsales allowed- punishable by penalty of law-due to insurance regulations.

BOYCOT any gunshow that will not allow private gunsales.

Edited by mbushell
Too opinionated
All:________________

I wouldn't worry much about some jackass from the Brady Foundation saying anything. There are plenty of places in Chattanooga (....knoxville, nashville, and memphis....) where not having a gun is very dangerous. Given the problems with violent crime in these places (...Policeman killed in Chattanooga, Christian-Newsome in Knoxville, home invasion, abduction in Parsons, TN. Go down the list...).

It will be a "hard sell" to convince anyone that guns are the principal problem with crime. It simply aint so, and lots more folks who are not gun enthusiasts are realizing that fact.

Take a look at the young couples with children and the old folks attending the local gunshows. I well remember when the "gunshow crowd" was a pretty close knit faternity; it is a much larger segment today (...Thank God....). I say "let 'em talk". They cant win this one on the truth; or thru an appeal to "common sense" or decency.

Casual observation is busy confirming to the most weak minded of us that the world is a dangerous place, that criminals dont obey the law, and the the law cannot protect anyone.

For what it's worth.

leroy

This is aimed at the poor urban mothers who are afraid of their kids. They want to know how to get guns away from their thug children. That's why the NRA isn't being represented. All of the other get togethers by these urban parents have been small, laughable, and pathetic. I'm afraid that with this douche bag speaking it will bring out all of the bed wetters of the city :)

And the worst part of all is the piece of **** mayor is fanning the flames because he refuses to do anything about Chattanooga's gang problem.

Thanks for posting this Jonin. I am going to attend. It's a shame that it will be held at a gun free zone with a majority of attendees being gang parents :rolleyes:

RE: post #12. I completely agree. I would classify this as a "Know Your Enemy" mission. We have a small enclave of them in the Knoxville area too. They just cant get much traction (...thankfully...). Too much thugism goin on in certain areas, combined with home invasions and mayhem. The thugs have went from killin eachother for dope to tryin to kill others to get their stuff.

Let us know how it went.

leroy

There is no actual danger in them (anti-gun dolts), getting any gun control legislation passed in Tennessee, some rep or senator can always introduce legislation but it will go nowhere like if a rep introduced tax reduction legislation in San Fransisco. They probably will use UTC funds to fund their little summit/meeting because liberals will decide how the money is used and of course they think they are more intelligent than anyone else on the planet. What's funny is that most of them will believe they can actually accomplish something besides having a usless pep rally. I'm all for voicing your opinion but it's not going to change anyones mind on the issue, most that will attend are already anti-gun. The best way to counter demonstrate these dolts would be to find some gun friendly private property as close as possible and hold some kind of friends of the NRA or GOA or a TFA picnic at the same time. Being private property there's no concern over local parks laws and HCP holders can open carry and have displays of new firearms on the market, invite a few pro-gun reps and senators to speak.